2015 Skate Detroit Jul 21-25 | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Detroit Jul 21-25

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
But LOL, don't know whether to believe that you are a cat owner ... maybe you are just saying that to encourage misremembering of your gender ;). Just kidding :laugh:.

I also light scented candles every evening, enjoy relaxing bubble baths, and listen to lots of Stevie Nicks and Kate Bush.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am a prime offender on Eliadj/Elladj: thanks for the reminder, Golden! I don't know why Eliadj sticks in my mind, since neither are usual names.

And I fall into cat stereotyping, even though I married into the cats: spouse (male) had cats and I did not.

And back to skating, woot:cheer: for Newtown, Pennsylvania's own Nate Barthomay and Gretchen. Liked that one!

NorthernLite

On the Ice
When Lubov does a cantilever and then he grabs her to go right into a death spiral -- wow. Saw it twice today, once in practice, once at the comp, and jaw dropped a little both times. Also love how they start the lift with him kneeling down.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
how was alex's sp? it looked really promising when info about his new SP 1st came out, i think he is really unique but unfortunately inconsistent :cry:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like I'll miss the livestreaming today. 8-hour cheer practice (With 1-hour lunch break, some water breaks, and some little things in-between) will be consuming my day.

noidont

Final Flight
C/T and D/B look pretty good, especially D/B. I/M however is basically skating the same program as last year with different music. I like the music, but do not care much for their skating.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
who is Tomoki Hiwatashi? :shocked: where was he last season? i just caught his last min of his free program and it was good, then i found out he is 2013 novice champion :shocked: and he does biellman spin pretty good :laugh: will he be competing at JGP?

truthbooth

On the Ice
INTERMEDIATE LADIES FINAL:

1. Angelina HUANG – 60.24
2. Braedyn MILLER – 58.63
3. JoJo HUBBART – 58.63
4. Laiken LOCKLEY– 57.48
5. Ariela MASARKY – 55.47
6. Anissa MARAVILLA – 55.38
7. Emilea ZINGAS – 52.03
8. Alexanne BOUILLON – 51.06
9. Cienna BAKA – 50.28
10. Rachel MEN – 50.21
11. Chloe HATALEY – 49.43
12. Rachael WALL – 42.32

samson

Medalist
Well I wish that Castelli and Tran had moved on to a new short for this season but I guess it only got seen at one major competition last year and no international judges have looked at it. You can see they still have some gelling to do but it's a pleasure to watch them.

D/B and impressive at this point. If she can get that side by side jump in order I think this program has a real chance to be a stand out for them. That lift at the end with the music is just BAM.

I/M are good. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the program yet.

It's interesting comparing all three teams who are all in their second seasons together. I'm not sure if it's because I never found the styles of Gretchen and Nathan's prior match ups particularly memorable or what, but for me this is a team that really seems to be finding their own identity.

Still it's the pre season so there's TONS of room for growth and I'm excited to see the longs from all these teams!!!

TrishaG

Rinkside
Hello! Here is my report for Day 2 (part 2).

I didn't see Brian Orser and Elizabet until after Group B started skating, and wasn't in a position to see much of their interactions. I did notice Elizabet doing off-ice jumps again as part of her warm up.

I really liked Emily McNally's costume for her Bollywood program. Purple with sparkly purple, sari inspired with large crystal "necklace" and belly chain. So pretty! :love: I admit, I preferred Livvy's program though. Emily's was nice, but Livvy's had more intricate choreo and was more nuanced.

Hannah's grandmothers sat near me again. Her beautiful cobalt costume is from a previous program as her LP dress isn't ready yet. She's settling in with training in California, and Ashley Wagner has been very nice and welcoming. Tom Dickson did the choreo for her long program, and was in Detroit with her aunt (her former main coach) as her coaching team. I really liked her program and look forward to seeing it develop over the season. She had problems on a couple of jumps and then the fluke fall during her footwork, but she stayed with the performance very well. After she exited the ice, she talked with Tom and her aunt for quite some time. She seemed frustrated from some of her gestures as she was talking right after the program. There's a lot of good stuff for July already, and she has another chance to compete with it today in the final.

Bradie and Selena were the other standouts for me. They both skated very well and I look forward to seeing them again in the final today.

Elizabet's music had issues when she started her program, but she did not hesitate and was committed to her skate. Brian Orser waved over to the judges a few times to alert them there was a problem, then he and her mother (who was standing with Brian) both started waving at Elizabet to stop her as she skated towards them. It was kind of funny, because she must have so focused that she just didn't see them! So they started waving bigger and bigger, and it wasn't until she was right next to them and starting her first jump that she noticed, lol. She popped the first one, then stopped. Her mom needed to grab the back up music, which she had very nearby. Mama had her baby's back, lol :thumbsup: Elizabet talked briefly with Brian, then took up her start position again. When she did her first jump near Brian and her mom, both clapped very quickly so she could see it. She seemed to take the restart in stride, did a nice job, and I liked the program.

Day 3 report coming up!

truthbooth

On the Ice
Novice Ladies FINAL:

Emma Wolak - 80.51
Hannah Dawson - 76.11
Sarah-Maude Blanchard - 75.95
Meiryla Findley - 75.64
Jenna Shi - 64.47
Danica Vangsgaard - 61.32
Maya Gorodnitsky - 59.77
Christina Tenzin - 57.76
Jennyfer Richer-Labelle - 56.54
Karina Nance - 54.88
Maggie Mackinnon - 51.97
Lynn Kim - 48.94

Findley - 12th at Nationals on Novice last year. Didn't she used to live/train in CA? Now she's out of IN. Pretty solid overall - 2A, 3S+2T, 3T (ur), 3S fell out, 2Lz+2Lo+2Lo, 2A+2T
Kim - Kind of struggled. A few pops, fell on her first 2A attempt, did land a 2A+2T later but the 2A seemed ur.
Wolak - Solid skate! Jumping very strong (3T, 3S+2T, 2A+2T+2Lo, 2A, 3S, 2F+2Lo), but spins/steps/PCS weren't as good as Findley.
Tenzin - Solid double jumps & spins; 2A was ur and she popped her salchow into nothing.
Shi - 6th at Nationals on Intermediate last year. Up and down skate, she did land a 3T and two strong 2A (one in 3-jump combo), but fell on two (likely ur) 3S.
Nance - Wow tall skater, but gives her a nice line! High jumps, but only doubles (fell on rotated 2A).

Gorodnitsky - Canadian skater. Landed two nice 2A and an array of other doubles; 3S attempt seemed <<
Vangsgaard - Another Canadian skater, with an oddly similar performance! Landed two nice 2A and other doubles, fell on a (likely ur) 3S.
Dawson - Another Canadian! She seems like one of the more elegant skater so far. Landed two 3T, 3S, 2A, and stepped out of a seemingly rotated 3Lo. Nice job!
Richer-Labelle - missed her skate.
Mackinnon - Some of the best SS and sharpest presentation so far. Unfortunately, not her day. Landed some nice doubles but fell on both 2A and another random fall while stroking.
Maude-Blanchard - Definitely the most content so far! Fell on 3F attempt (landed in qual.), stepped out of 3S, and popped 2A to single, but landed two 3T and a 3Lo.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go group 3!

Last edited: