2016 JGP Czech Skate Ladies SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Czech Skate Ladies SP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my dear lord.....Rika's music is like finger nails on a chalk board for me. Great steps and great jumps but the program is a frantic storm of shrilly screeching. Yeah no....

Anastasia has beautiful arms and in spite of the sleepy music her arm movements were fascinating and kept me interested. By far the best interpretation I've seen so far of the few programs I've watched. Polar opposite of Rika for me. Sketchy jumps and a gorgeous program as opposed to...well ....ya get the picture.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I just got here. :slink: (I started school today.)

:cheer: Rika, and I hope Guabova and Lozko do better in the FS. (I also thought Wessenberg only had 3t and 3s. I was wrong. :slink:)

I also might actually analyze this.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:disagree: :rolleye: - Sorry, but can't help.

I think I spent far too many many years playing cello in orchestra that these shrilly frantic violin tunes trigger negative reflexes. I guess 12 yrs of indoctrination can do that to you. The only thing missing was a few random slide whistles :p

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I think I spent far too many many years playing cello in orchestra that these shrilly frantic violin tunes trigger negative reflexes. I guess 12 yrs of indoctrination can do that to you. The only thing missing was a few random slide whistles :p
Okay. I disagree, but I also understand.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Lots of great skaters here! It seems like this time my predictions won't be as disastrous as the ones from last week.

1. Rika Kihira: I thought she'd go for the 3A here, but I guess not. She has very nice jumps and the steps were pretty good too. Great to see her have a strong skate.
2. Anastasiia Gubanova: Too bad about the tumble on the combo, but this program is pretty with nice choreography. The jumps aren't great (the take-off for the 3T...:hopelessness:) but she has good technical content. A bit cold during the skate, but she is still young so that will improve over time.
3. Alisa Lozko: The skating felt a bit rushed which seemed a little awkward with the music. But I have to say, her spins are gorgeous. The highlight for me was the layback, with the sideways position, the haircutter and especially the biellmann all looking amazing. Well-deserved of a perfect score there.
4. Yuna Aoki: Lovely program and lovely skating. The footwork sequence was nicely done, and throughout the program she reminded me a bit of Yuna Kim. The jump mistakes were unfortunate though.
5. Megan Wessenberg: That fall on the 2A was scary :eeking:. Anyways she had a nice presence on the ice, and though I'm not a fan of this program, she did a good job of selling it.
6. Diana Nikitina: The music was overpowering her a bit? She was slow on the ice too, but she had nice jumps.
7. Hanul Kim: Glad to see that she improved a lot on her presentation! Too bad about the URs and the final spin though. Also, her PCS should've been higher than 21. Hopefully they don't underscore her again.

Last edited:

riminin

Rinkside
You are right. Coach Hamada said in the interview with Ted Burton that she's gonna try 3A in FS and if the flow out of the 1st jump allows would add 3T after that! If she's gonna make history?? I hope so. She' s awesome.

(BTW as junior ladies you are not allowed to do 3A in the short program. You are requested to do 2A by the rule.)

Lipea

Final Flight
Oh my dear lord.....Rika's music is like finger nails on a chalk board for me. Great steps and great jumps but the program is a frantic storm of shrilly screeching. Yeah no....
How so? Tsygane is Ravel's absolute masterpiece, and program was made excellent for it. I am so glad some skaters sometimes go beyond the cheesy movie and pop music. You should listen to the entire piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71LvN-xZlc

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It really sucks to see Kazakhstan using almost all their Ladies slots this season especially when none of them have a prayer of even finishing in the top 10 while the US at least has some depth and girls that can finish in the top 6. I mean 29th and 30th here? They should have let the US have another spot.

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight

The name of the piece is Tsygane, i.e. The Gypsy, so it was an idea of a Gypsy-virtuoso showing off all sides of his talent and skills playing violin. Quite sophisticated showing-off virtuosity; not just like some csárdás. I wonder though which particular pieces you heard in your orchestra were "shrilly frantic violin tunes". Of course, it all also depends on who is playing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It really sucks to see Kazakhstan using almost all their Ladies slots this season especially when none of them have a prayer of even finishing in the top 10 while the US at least has some depth and girls that can finish in the top 6. I mean 29th and 30th here? They should have let the US have another spot.

I (as an American) do not think it "sucks" to see young skaters from Kazakhstan get a chance at JGP experience ... to not only ride, but also to work toward eventually adding to the momentum of Denis and Elizabet :).

Lipea

Final Flight

Well, it is Kazakhstan spots so let them use them. Why should they give anything away, and why to the US which has quite a weak field of ladies-juniors?
If to give to anyone then to Russian girls, someone like Daria Panenkova who execute all her jumps in the second half with rippons, and already 14y.o., but for some reason has no JGP assignments at all.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watched Rika's SP a few times. quite difficult piece of music for a junior skater to interpret, but she interpreted really well. musicality! just to mention her layback spin. each revolution matching each fast tempo piano note and change spin position matching phrase change. also many other splendid musicality/interpretation throughout this piece by this girl. She is the real deal!
okay I intented to post this after watching her 3A in FS. but will just say it here. She got 3A + other jumps (so far, lutz, loop and toe are textbook), got musicality, also got the slander/long/muscular body type that figure skating aesthetic love the most. And adorable face, just need some braces:biggrin:
Her overall tech is really really strong.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I (as an American) do not think it "sucks" to see young skaters from Kazakhstan get a chance at JGP experience ... to not only ride, but also to work toward eventually adding to the momentum of Denis and Elizabet :).

Yes, how are they ever going to get international competitive experience and improve if they don't use their spots? In order to develop a stronger program you have to start somewhere. And I agree with Lipea, for the most part the US junior ladies are not all that either. The nationalistic attitude of some people is pretty outrageous.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
If Rika keeps her cool in FS, well we have another young superstar, this time from Japan. Her potential seems to be way above her other compatriots including Marin Honda but we shall see if she can deliver.

Alisa has potential to be the prima as well but looks like she could not make substantial progress with jumps during the summer. Without them she is not competitive with the best Russian and Japanese youngsters. May be she can redeem herself in FP. Satoko was fine with just 2a-3Ts - Alisa was doing 2A-3Lo. My concern is that her stand alone 3Lo was UR as well, alas.

Anastasia is a gorgeous skater, she is unique. But are you going to land stable combos, Nastya, or what?

FP is going to be exciting. If everyone is clean and Rika does 3A she will win with the junior world record. If she just do 2A and everyone is clean it will be between her and Gubanova. But if nerves start to play anyone of the three who will successfully control her emotions can win.

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Just watched the Top 3 performances.

Being honest I never heard of Kihira before today but I liked I what I saw. The music was different but I thought she did a good job of capturing/interpreting it. Looking forward to seeing her 3A in the free. Probably my favourite performance was Gubanova, a really elegant performance, great use of her arms, she truly was the swan. However with the error on the combo she is rightly in second but is still in touch. I though Lozko was marked harshly but in the protocols she had two under rotations, loved her spins.