2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies FS

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Just Watched Top 2 Japanese girls and Yelim Kim . for Yelim, I am suprised, that was a big improvement from her last JGP, you can tell she is nervous in the beginning. but she really "make herself skate well" (totally agree with Teb). She also performanced (much better than her first JGP). I like her expression during her stsq.
Also, Kudos to top 2 Japanese girls. Marin under that tremendous pressure(as reigning JW champion) to skate like that and Kaori skate Last and skate like that. Those are indeed tears of joy.Well done girls. you all have nerves of steel:luv17::eek::

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Honda gets WR by popping a jump? Everything +2 +3 GOE? Skating skills 7.46 with lvl 2 steps?

Yeah OK.......

Cheering against her from now on.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
I was amazed by Honda. NO hesitation into any of her jumps, speed throughout her program that never let up. The program was polished and mastered and her level of stamina and fitness was unbelievable. She skated the program of her life, a program that demonstrated the highest level of conditioning. (And if you think this is a small thing, you've never skated a long program. LOL)

andyjo24

Medalist
Honda gets WR by popping a jump? Everything +2 +3 GOE? Skating skills 7.46 with lvl 2 steps?

Yeah OK.......

Honda is such a lovely and all-around skater, but yeah, I agree that the scoring kind of went out of control.

I know she's pretty, but I wish people would please treat her equally like other ladies and not give her a beauty bonus all the time.

That said, it must be pretty difficult to be in her position. You can tell from her expressions in the Kiss and Cry the pressure she's in even though it's only a junior competition. Can you imagine what it would be like for her if it were the Olympics or Worlds? I hope she finds a way to cope with it and get less emotional. Mental strength is absolutely key in this sport. One of the main reasons why Yu-na Kim is Yu-na Kim, for example.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I was amazed by Honda. NO hesitation into any of her jumps, speed throughout her program that never let up. The program was polished and mastered and her level of stamina and fitness was unbelievable. She skated the program of her life, a program that demonstrated the highest level of conditioning. (And if you think this is a small thing, you've never skated a long program. LOL)
I like that about Marin, not only her jumps, spins also transitioned seamlessly. Also, no rest in her program at all.

kalee

On the Ice
if they sent good skaters, it would have been probably Liza or Polina.

All the Russians with JGP assignments are good skaters...
Hoping that Sofia gets a 2nd JGP assignment despite being off the podium, her performance here deserves it...

Lipea

Final Flight
Agree - she should have been on the podium

She should have been second, and Marin - fourth. Yes, because of the SP mainly. You cannot fail your SP and make a mistake in LP and still be somehow above the skater with two clean and beautiful performances. There can be homecooking, but this is simply unacceptable; beyond Gracie's Boston case.

Leonardo

Final Flight
She should have been second, and Marin - fourth. Yes, because of the SP mainly. You cannot fail your SP and make a mistake in LP and still be somehow above the skater with two clean and beautiful performances. There can be homecooking, but this is simply unacceptable; beyond Gracie's Boston case.

Sofia is a flutzer, but didnt get any deduction like medvedeva, sotnikova, gubanova, fedichkina and many other russian skaters who dont have a great lutz technique. She was underscored in pcs but overscored in TES. And Marin is BRILLIANT when she is on. Sorry.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Honda is such a lovely and all-around skater, but yeah, I agree that the scoring kind of went out of control.

I know she's pretty, but I wish people would please treat her equally like other ladies and not give her a beauty bonus all the time.

That said, it must be pretty difficult to be in her position. You can tell from her expressions in the Kiss and Cry the pressure she's in even though it's only a junior competition. Can you imagine what it would be like for her if it were the Olympics or Worlds? I hope she finds a way to cope with it and get less emotional. Mental strength is absolutely key in this sport. One of the main reasons why Yu-na Kim is Yu-na Kim, for example.

Absolutely. Hate to be so blunt but it's time to get a grip!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Good thing I didn't watch live ...
Still congrats to the top 2 esp Marin (yeah I can see why judges inclined to score her that way)
Can't imagine Alisa & Sonya with no 2nd assignement 😭😭😭😭mah poor SPb bbs
Will go cry in the corner now

JuliaHols

On the Ice

Yeah OK.......

Well done but...over scored a little imo. Her fs from junior worlds was better.

hugo

On the Ice
Sofia is a flutzer, but didnt get any deduction like medvedeva, sotnikova, gubanova, fedichkina and many other russian skaters who dont have a great lutz technique. She was underscored in pcs but overscored in TES. And Marin is BRILLIANT when she is on. Sorry.

Samodurova should get bronze today. She was better than Yamashita, who was overscored in SP. And Marin is not brilliant, is simply good, sometimes very good but not consistent at all. She is promoted as a new big star but it's too early (this is mainly because of her japan style beauty)

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Samodurova should get bronze today. She was better than Yamashita, who was overscored in SP. And Marin is not brilliant, is simply good, sometimes very good but not consistent at all. She is promoted as a new big star but it's too early (this is mainly because of her japan style beauty)

Yeah totally agree. Sofia seemed good enough for medal tbh. Marin was good too, but the record score? Along with a popped 2A :( that JUST doesn't seem right. And oh look! Marin DIDN'T win, now her users can stop saying she's unbeatable and pretending that no one else has a chance of winning.

Meoima

Match Penalty

I agree the scoring is too much, they don't slow doen at all. However regarding the pressure, she is just a kid, just 15 years old. She handled it well I don't think people should expect more from that age.

Lipea

Final Flight
I agree the scoring is too much, they don't slow doen at all. However regarding the pressure, she is just a kid, just 15 years old. She handled it well I don't think people should expect more from that age.

Disagree about the age/pressure thing: it is much easier to handle the pressure when you are a kid, rather than when you are an adult. It is very reasonable, and the practice only confirms this fact.

I also don't think Marin is brilliant: good - yes, but not brilliant. She has a pretty face/appearance but that should not be a reason to automatically admit that her skating is beautiful. She has nice basic skills and her jumps are fine, but there is nothing outstanding. In fact she seems to me less musically connected and emotionally engaged than other top juniors. I enjoyed Kaori's this season and Wakaba's last seasons performances more.
Out of Japanese skaters, not counting Mao of course, I would much rather prefer Satoko, who has truly outstandingly beautiful skating, despite her appearance is not the prettiest one. So I totally don't get all this boom about Marin. :eek:hwell:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Does anyone see a clear outside edge at Marin's lutz take-off because I don't?

http://radikal.ru/lfp/s016.radikal.ru/i335/1609/a5/2824c7e16030.jpg/htm

I see that she herself is inside and her blade is plain flat. Where is the choir "flutzer!". Aaah, she is not from Russia.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The sour grapes in here are making my mouth pucker.

:roll9:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Disagree about the age/pressure thing: it is much easier to handle the pressure when you are a kid, rather than when you are an adult. It is very reasonable, and the practice only confirms this fact.
I think you don't get how much attention the media out on Marin. And she's a child star so they expect much from her ever since she was 8. After she won JWC they're all over the board. I think Marin did pretty well. Her SP might have been saved had she been in senior (she can add a 3T after 3Lo if she's senior). Marin also doesn't do well early season. So I think she did well enough. Had she been senior she might have won as she could have saved her SP without that solo 3Lo requirement.

I also don't think Marin is brilliant: good - yes, but not brilliant. She has a pretty face/appearance but that should not be a reason to automatically admit that her skating is beautiful. She has nice basic skills and her jumps are fine, but there is nothing outstanding. In fact she seems to me less musically connected and emotionally engaged than other top juniors. I enjoyed Kaori's this season and Wakaba's last seasons performances more.
Out of Japanese skaters, not counting Mao of course, I would much rather prefer Satoko, who has truly outstandingly beautiful skating, despite her appearance is not the prettiest one. So I totally don't get all this boom about Marin. :eek:hwell:
I agree that Marin isn't that outstanding as the media make her to be. Her jumps are nice but not that much power. Spins are ok but again not very special (like Yulia or Lozko), her SS is quite outstanding for her age though. And her style is monotonous. However she is young so I don't hold her for that. She has time to improve.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
All the Russians with JGP assignments are good skaters...
Hoping that Sofia gets a 2nd JGP assignment despite being off the podium, her performance here deserves it...

Likely she won't; the russian field is so competitive, and Alisa Lozko has a bronze medal.

That's why a fair judgement is becoming more important now than ever, at least for russian skaters.

Lipea

Final Flight
Likely she won't; the russian field is so competitive, and Alisa Lozko has a bronze medal.

That's why a fair judgement is becoming more important now than ever, at least for russian skaters.

That would be really a pity. Sofia gave two beautiful clean skates, and now won't get a second assignment just because of the judging politics? IMO, even with this 4th place Sofia has more chances to get into the final than Alisa... I could easily imagine Sofia get 2nd place in the next competition, while for Alisa it would be extremely hard with her URs. 2nd and 4th especially with high scores have priority over 3rd and 3rd.
Unless they send Lozko to Russian GP and ignore her URs....:slink: