2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
So Gracie, Mao, and very likely Mihara all out of GPF and the series only started.

It might not be the worst thing for Gracie and Mao to be out of the GPF. Mao so she could have more time to heal that knee and Gracie to maybe have some time to figure things out.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congrats to the medalists. It would've been great if there would've been a sweep, but I kind of suspected Gracie to falter. Other than that it wasn't the most exciting comp and the downfall of my favourites seem to continue so I have not many happy things to say. Looking forward to SC now.

andromache

Record Breaker
I agree 100%. I thought the same thing after the Japan Open. She looks to have lost the desire to try to get back to where she was. I guess it's almost a curse that skating came so easily to her at such a young age. Who wants to fight this hard in their 20's to get back to level they had when they were 15. It must be very depressing......Of course, she could take at look at her OLDER teammate and realize that nothing is impossible. I do think she needs a new and fresh environment in which to train as she just appears burnt out to me.

I don't think it has anything to do with her "level," and I think she's as good technically as she's ever been (though perhaps in not as good of shape as she was at Worlds). It's her mentality. And as much as people here will say it's all inside of her, our mental state is impacted by the people around us. It comes down to wanting to love skating again. Look at the joy we saw out there from Mao and Ashley and Mariah. Even Mai, who one is nominating for mature artist of the year, was fun and enjoyable to watch because she clearly loves to skate. Gracie doesn't. I'm not going to blame Frank, but his approach clearly no longer works for her, and you can't expect a coach of almost eighty-years old to change how he does things to make his probably-last major pupil love skating again.

mcq

Record Breaker
Ashley should make it to GPF if she doesn't bomb at CoC. The Russians there are Liza Tuk and Radionova, the Japanese are Mai mihara (again) and Rika Hongo. It should be easy for her to be on the podium there if she skates like today.
Mao and Gracie seem to have slim chance for GPF since for their second GP they will face Medvedeva (and there will be Wakaba, Gabby, Maria Sotskova too). The good thing is they could refocus for nats/4cc/worlds.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Mariah Bell was a BIG surprise, though!:agree: And suddenly the US has another strong skater

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I'm having a feeling we won't be seeing Gracie in France :cry: But, if that is the case, I hope Mariah gets the extra spot.

Wouldn't that simply do even more damage to her already fragile state? "I flopped my first event so I'm not doing the second." :scratch2: I mean unless she's injured

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Why do I have to watch the Canadian broadcast to see the Skate America Medal Ceremony? NBC just cut off just before!
hmm thats strange

I could have understood if someone rather than an american won but in this particular case I thought US tv would def show the ceremony...:scratch2:

& Im happy I'd put Gracie 1st :slink: my reverse jinx worked:hopelessness:
hugs to her fans tho:ghug:

Maria & Mihara were OK but didnt evoke any emotions:shrug:
I liked Ash short better than FS but probs it will grow on me throughout the season

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So Gracie, Mao, and very likely Mihara all out of GPF and the series only started.

I really feel bad about Mao.....I hope her injury heals and she comes back to us. That skate at the Japan open.... wow....this sport has so many injuries....:disapp:

blair

Rinkside
Am I crazy or was Gabby robbed in both programs with her PCs marks?! She should have medaled with those programs against Mai and Ashley.

MIM

Medalist
A few hours ago did ANYBODY think Mariah Bell would have won the LP and win the silver and Gracie Gold would be OFF the podium :shocked: :eeking: And at Skate America of all places :shocked::shocked: It's honestly to me one of the biggest surprises in quite a long time

I blame myself. I did not even list her in my top 6 prediction... I am happy to be wrong!
Mariah and Boyang were the great surprise today so far!

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Gracie has to decide what she wants. She looks like she doesn't want to skate. I am not a fan, but I recognize she has talent and ability and would hate for her not to reach her potential, for her sake. It is obvious that the depression she has spoken about is still there. Some say just shake it off, but it isn't that easy. I hope she can figure it out.

By continuing to skate and compete Gracie has decided what she wants to do, she is simply struggling with the execution!

I appreciate you saying that it isn't that easy to shake off, because it really isn't! Athletes who compete at any high level and who have so much innate talent always go thru this. I've worked with so many professional athletes and I always hear the same thing - once in a slump one begins to question why they cannot do something despite having so much talent. Doubt sets in, confidence gets lost, talent begins being questioned, what was once so easy is now so hard, the athlete pushes which creates more mistakes and frustration.

The only question at this point is whether the athlete has a strong enough support Team, is strong enough mentally, is patient enough to not push and to allow the talent and hard work to pay dividends.

For Gracie and the U.S., I hope yes because Gracie Gold is one special athlete!

whatif

Medalist
Looks like Cup of China will decide the finalists. Assuming Pogo, Med, Sotskova, Satoko, and Wagner are in. I am feeling it will end being between a Russian and Mihara.

Alba

Record Breaker
What on earth possesses Frank to keep trying, year after year, to turn Gracie Gold into Michelle Kwan? Inquiring minds want to know...

So good to see you. :love: Are you watching dance tonight?

And yes, let me know if you get an answer to your question. Arguably the best USA ladie's skater, and they risk losing it.