2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Is it pressure or just bad training? i suppose both, but mainly bad training.
He didn't bomb only now, when let say the pressure was big... he usually does that.

omg who are you people? super gods? Anyone who has ever been in a competitive sport or a performance based activity knows how difficult it is to cope with nerves, pressure, expectations, personal issues, and then to perform as if nothing really matters. I do really hope that all of you show up to work every day and perform 100% in front of a five thousand persons crowd. If you do this, then please be my guest and teach me your way. If not, then would you please stop speculating about Mika's training, nerves, regimes or anything else. Athletes need our support, they get a lot of criticism every day during their practices.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
omg who are you people? super gods? Anyone who has ever been in a competitive sport or a performance based activity knows how difficult it is to cope with nerves, pressure, expectations, personal issues, and then to perform as if nothing really matters. I do really hope that all of you show up to work every day and perform 100% in front of a five thousand persons crowd. If you do this, then please be my guest and teach me your way. If not, then would you please stop speculating about Mika's training, nerves, regimes or anything else. Athletes need our support, they get a lot of criticism every day during their practices.

This is a good point! I'm sure Misha's doing the best he can out there and I know that I'd never be able to do what he does - stepping out on the rink would be too much for me!

I hope he can regroup for the Men's Event, because I do love his skating and when he lands the 4 Lz it's truly the best in the business.

Also if he gets into the Gala I hope he does the Baba Yaga Ex...I love that one.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh, I support Misha during the OG! He is really talented! I hope he forgets this bad start and he will have succesful performances in Korea! And I love Dima, too!!!:luv17:

@Pippuripihvi

Yes, everybody understands :) it I also believe his coach did mistake that was a bad tactic to jump 4Lz in the team event . They were in good position they knew what skated Patrick ....

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I don't doubt that the pressure got to him and I don't support the kind of bullying he's getting on social media now, but madison was right, this was far from a one-off performance for him. It was 100% predictable. Maybe with a different coach he'd have a different mindset and less of this rigidness that keeps him stuck with layouts that do not work, cringey packaging, etc. I may criticize him a lot, but I have nothing against him personally and he obviously has some good qualities (he's far easier to watch than the likes of Samarin, at least). His coach has no experience with the highest level of skating and it really shows. I think he is too comfortable there and too passive to make difficult decisions for himself. It may not have mattered when he was getting medals for performances only slightly less mediocre than this one, now with the added Olympic pressure we see how they were setting him up for this all along. And that's another problem with those inflated scores he was getting, it's too easy to become complacent because the judges are telling you it's fine to keep doing what you are doing.

Any other skater in his position would be criticized just as much, probably even more (imagine if it were Kovtun!). For some reason some of his fans think he needs to be coddled like a child, maybe because he looks much younger than he is. That hasn't helped him much. Empathy is a good thing, but of course people are not going to just stop talking about him and this is not his fan fest, so they have a right to do it here. People are still analyzing Oly performances from decades ago...this is never going away. Don't worry, there is more skating on tonight and so most people will move on to another target for a bit.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
really?

I don't like seeing a skater punished for skating poorly but Kolyada was poor at his last pre-Olmypic competition, Euros, and now at the team event SP as well. Letting him do the team LP after those most recent performances just seems ridiculous. It just sends the message to Kolyada that he can flop around and still be defacto Russian #1. It also tells the international skating community that Russia doesn't have any faith in its second man at these Olympics.

Aliev was great at Euros so I don't see why with Russia's chance at team gold gone (thanks to Kolyada) they can't just let him do the LP. Not just for experience but to give him a chance to prove Euros wasn't a fluke and that Russia potentially has two great future skaters, not one. If Aliev could do well in the team LP it could help his marks in the individual event where his marks would have been lower because of his inexperience and status as #2. It would have been a help to Russian men's skating beyond these Olympics :confused2:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The RusFed always tries to put its eggs in one basket with its men and it fails every.single.time. And they never learn a thing. I must say I feel some schadenfreude watching it blow up in their face, I'm just sorry for the rest of the team who did their job.

I do not know if Dima even wanted to be in the team event, but I hope that being left out will fire him up like Adelina in Sochi.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
So.....Aliev just crushed Kolyada by a whopping 12+ points in the men's SP.........snickering :rofl:

inserts Meryl Steep "these are the moments that make life worth living" gif :cool14:

I don't want to celebrate the failure of another skater (especially one I like) but it serves the Russian fed. right for having such ridiculous tunnel vision :bang:

Grin

Medalist
I wish Chebotareva devoted less time for 'cooking' and more time to training her students (Kolyada and Stasya).

madison

Record Breaker
I wish Chebotareva devoted less time for 'cooking' and more time to training her students (Kolyada and Stasya).
I like both Kolyada and Aliev very much. Both are very talented, very musical, artistic skaters.
But Valentina... God..:scratch2:

Grin

Medalist
I like both Kolyada and Aliev very much. Both are very talented, very musical, artistic skaters.
But Valentina... God..:scratch2:
Her students know that they can afford themselves to make 1-2 mistakes in Russian local competitions when other skaters can't. That's why Kolyada and Stasya can't handle the pressure in international competitions.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Does anyone have the link for the Tarasova commentary of Aliev's SP?

She yelled so loudly that you could hear her on other commentaries :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Kolyada's PCS is still outrageous for his error-riddled programs. It's an absolute joke at this point. If they send him to Worlds without giving someone else a chance now...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kolyada's PCS is still outrageous for his error-riddled programs. It's an absolute joke at this point. If they send him to Worlds without giving someone else a chance now...

He does have good skating skills, watched some of his practice and i think he looks even better live.

PCS were over the place in general: Rippon higher than Kolyada and Aliev was also ridiculous, or even worse Jin Boyang above Aliev on the components,...

But at least i hope RusFed will start to open their eyes and realize that while SPB coaches deserve more credit, they are pushing way too much Chebotareva and her students.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I've seen Kolyada live actually and thought his SS were fine, but hardly extraordinary. He is no Chan.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I honestly don't see how he and Chen are so far apart
yes he had the great 3A but he got gifted a lot of GOE as far as I can tell

I hope Aliev sneaks in for a medal tonight! he can do it!