2023-24 Russian Nationals Men's Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Men's Free Skate

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Semenenko got 1.26 for his 3Lo (x) with an ugly landing
I can understand discussions about landings on some of Zhenya's jumps. But out of all his jumps, you picked the only his jump that is absolutely textbook.

Isk

On the Ice
I can understand discussions about landings on some of Zhenya's jumps. But out of all his jumps, you picked the only his jump that is absolutely textbook.
Not the landing though?... He doesn't extend the free leg, ever. I have to give it to him that he did the loop at the end of the program immediately after a combo and landed it. I just wish he weren't rewarded for what he doesn't have, not like this. He could improve, you know. RusFed was always heavy on quads, so I guess it's how it is.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I actually looked Daniil's SP and I liked his skating in both programs.

I also think that Fedor Zonov shouldn't get the 2nd worst PCS score when Evgeni Semenenko gets the 2nd best. Imagine Russia having one quota at the major championships, and Semenenko getting this quota after being propped up at the Nationals like he was today, I am not sure I want to see this.

I thought Zonov's FS was kinda empty on the transitions, but unlike Semenenko, Zonov has extension and lines. I wish I knew how to insert images to illustrate what I mean. I get it that the guy is young and not very powerful, looks like a junior, and he missed most of his jumps, but when he lands them it looks good. He landed a 3F and a 3Lo (x) with a nice flow and running edge and received GOEs respectively 1.44 and 1.19 (flip was a bit better), while Semenenko got 1.26 for his 3Lo (x) with an ugly landing. Zonov has a nice FCSp4 with good positions, centering and speed throughout and he gets 4s, 3s and a 2 in GOE. Semenenko's FCSp2 was a struggle with loss of speed and ugly positions, he got hammered by the tech panel, but he still gets positive GOE including three 3s, with only one judge giving him a 0. Likewise, his CSSp3 wasn't great, looked strained and lost speed on both feet, and he mostly got 3s in GOE with only one judge giving him a 1.
First time i saw Zonov it was in JGP two years ago. He didn't have quads nor 3A. But it retained my attention because he was so beautiful to watch. He had really nice extensions, lines, was listening the music, good SS. He had better programs too. In summary, he had really nice basics.

Since then he learned 3A and 4lo. He skated better in cup stages but his PCS were low (imo). And this competition won't help his reputation. Reputation and consistency matter more than what happens on ice nowadays. He could have scored a bit better in PCS this season but i think he's still adjusting to those big jumps and can't show all his qualities for now.

Once he will get more confortable with his layouts (and get better programs), i think his PCS will rise (they should). I want to him to become like Matvei, artistically and scoring wise.

Reactions: Isk

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching this competition!!

The thing that makes me 😳 the most is with how generous the judges are with GOE when it comes to their men compared to the international circuit.

The men are very inconsistent. However, Petyr, Dimitrei and Zhenya are three fixtures at the top of Russian Men figure skating for the past three years.

First of all, I need to applaud Samsanov for finishing in a well deserved fifth place here. Loved him when he was a Junior Skater. This is a really encouraging result for him.

I would have had Aliev in third place. The guy that finished in silver position, has amazing jump technique. That 4Lz was amazing! However, he reminds me of the skater from Kazakhstan. Internationally, this Skate would be scored 70ish internationally. I would have had him in fourth.

Now, Gumenik is my favourite. What an amazing skate. His 4Lo and 4S are excellent and that 3Lz-3Lo just wins me over everytime. However, due to the mistake in the SP, I do think he deserves the silver medal (I can’t believe he only scored 6 points higher in PCS than the last skater).

Zhenya is just always consistent across both programs. This makes him the best Russian male skater. However, internationally, it is a toss up, as to who is the stronger skater between these two. It would be interesting to see how these skaters would be marked by an international panel. I think they are in the Kao/Soto/Shun area. 270-280 range with these skates. Definitely behind Ilia, Shoma and Adam in terms of jumps and PCS and behind Yuma (skating skills). So, in the 5th - 10th range worldwide.

I think Gumenick has the most potential. He just needs to focus on that SP. This was a really exciting competition!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tav

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Posting a baby picture as a prediction.... I have some too. Some are bound to match. Is this fate or not? (Petrenko has already retired, we don't need to talk about his fate)

Of course they have photos together, all three (Gumennik, Semenenko and Dikidzhi) trained at the same school under the same coach. But the point here is also that they are standing in the same order.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
The men are very inconsistent. However, Petyr, Dimitrei and Zhenya are three fixtures at the top of Russian Men figure skating for the past three years.
I noticed that too. Petya, Zhenya and Dima were on the CoR podium almost three years ago. And Vlad won junior CoR that year.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ilya Yablokov competed with a hairline fracture of his fibula.

Now I don't understand at all why he tried to do the 4Lo with such problems.
Oh poor Ilya! I hope he hasn't made it worse? It was so fun seeing him back, I'd hate not to be able to see him compete again (although is the season over for him anyway?)

Tav

Rinkside
Congrats, Zhenya, again! So glad he won a second RusNats to prove he's Russia's top man! It seemed like he didn't get that respect last season because he had to win with a tie-breaker over Petr and then Petr went on to win the Russian Grand Prix Final. At least, this time he won definitively and over Russia's new "Quad God," or whatever.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Mmmm. Petr Gumennik wasn't taking part in the Podium Ceremony.

CaroLiza_fan

Reactions: Tav

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Dikidzhi's second half was supposed to be
3Lz+3A, 3F+1Eu+3S, 3Lo

So he popped not the 2A, but the 3A. After the popped Axel, he did the 3Lz instead of the 3Lo since he could repeat it.

He did this content clean in practice. Tataurov was against it, but Vlad promised it to his mother.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Semenenko leaving out the 4Lo was really risky... of course had he done it it would also have been a risk. So... basically choosing between two risks. Him and his team know better than me how well he was doing with which layouts in training and what he felt better with.

I just read through some articles and commentaries at sports.ru and... oof, I should not do that of course. Way too many supporters of Tarasova's shaming style.

Anyway, Semenenko does not seem very appreciated overall. Not just because he's a guy, but he seems much less popular than Gumennik and Dikidzhi. A shame.
I will have to think about my new avatar after christmas. I wanted an Aymoz support avatar again, but maybe I will switch between him and Semenenko. :biggrin:

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Not just because he's a guy, but he seems much less popular than Gumennik and Dikidzhi. A shame.
Really? I thought Semenenko is the most popular male skater in Russia. When I would watch vlogs of stages he was by the far the one with the most banners and passionate supporters.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Semenenko leaving out the 4Lo was really risky...
For me it's quite the right decision.
I was sure after the SP that we wouldn't see this jump. Gumennik was already too behind. To beat Vlad he just needed a clean skate with three quads. And only the fact that he touched the ice with his free foot on the second 4T gave Vlad a chance (but he popped the Axel). In general, if Zhenya didn't make small mistakes such as time violation, the spins and the second 4T then he would get about 200 for his FS. So the 4Lo definitely wasn't needed. In addition, at his first Nats in Chelyabinsk, Zhenya fell on his 4Lo attempt which caused meltdown and 11th place. I'm sure that both Zhenya and his team remember that expirience.

Anyway, Semenenko does not seem very appreciated overall.
Indeed many people don't like him because of the scandalous Worlds 2021 selection, then Olympics 2022 and last season's Nats. But still not as much as it may seem reading sports.ru.

Not just because he's a guy, but he seems much less popular than Gumennik and Dikidzhi. A shame.
That's definitely not true. If Zhenya appears in an arena's hall, the reaction to him as if he was a famous singles girl. It's been like this since Test Skates 2021. Vlad has a little fanbase. Until this season, few people paid attention to his existence. Petya got a lot of fans last season, but I don't think more than Mark or Zhenya. In general, if you look at Telegram that has a lot of young fans, the favourites are still Mark and Zhenya.

Tav

Rinkside
I'm sure Zhenya has tons of fans, in fact I know he does. He's a really easy to promote skater who enjoys attention and models extremely well in photoshoots. He's a good boy and studies medicine, loves his babushka... I just feel like he's not entirely recognized by everyone in Russia as Russia's top male skater, but that could be exacerbated by the fact that the top male skaters tend to play musical chairs every season. There hasn't been a dedicated one for many years. At least Zhen is the Rus Nats champion two years in a row, now.