2023-24 Russian Nationals Men's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Men's Free Skate

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Indeed many people don't like him because of the scandalous Worlds 2021 selection, then Olympics 2022 and last season's Nats. But still not as much as it may seem reading sports.ru.
What was scandalous about it? My focus was on women and pairs so i missed that tea.

I just feel like he's not entirely recognized by everyone in Russia as Russia's top male skater, but that could be exacerbated by the fact that the top male skaters tend to play musical chairs every season.
That and not winning decisively imo. With tight gaps there are always controversies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tav

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
What was scandalous about it? My focus was on women and pairs so i missed that tea.
Zhenya was good during the 2020/21 season, but bombed his first Senior Nats for different reasons and became only 11th. Then Zhenya took part in CoR 2021. The winner was supposed to go to Worlds 2021 along with Kolyada. Zhenya came there not because of the selection. He came in order to try more difficult content and win a medal to make the senior team. Zhenya won the SP landing two quads for the first time. In the free he also attempted more difficult content, but skated with a pop and a fall. It was still enough to win with a big gap. After the free skate, a press conference was held and Aliev said that he is ready to perform at Worlds and bring Olympic spots. The next morning the federation announced the roster and included Semenenko. It caused absolutely nightmare on the social media. At that moment, Zhenya almost had no fans, but there were fans of other skaters who were very dissatisfied with the decision. They thought it was wrong to send a skater without international experience, the skater who was 11th at Nationals, the skater with a Russian song as his SP, the skater who competed without the selection pressure, etc. Many said that it was Mishin's anniversary gift from the Fed.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Zhenya was good during the 2020/21 season, but bombed his first Senior Nats for different reasons and became only 11th. Then Zhenya took part in CoR 2021. The winner was supposed to go to Worlds 2021 along with Kolyada. Zhenya came there not because of the selection. He came in order to try more difficult content and win a medal to make the senior team. Zhenya won the SP landing two quads for the first time. In the free he also attempted more difficult content, but skated with a pop and a fall. It was still enough to win with a big gap. After the free skate, a press conference was held and Aliev said that he is ready to perform at Worlds and bring Olympic spots. The next morning the federation announced the roster and included Semenenko. It caused absolutely nightmare on the social media. At that moment, Zhenya almost had no fans, but there were fans of other skaters who were very dissatisfied with the decision. They thought it was wrong to send a skater without international experience, the skater who was 11th at Nationals, the skater with a Russian song as his SP, the skater who competed without the selection pressure, etc. Many said that it was Mishin's anniversary gift from the Fed.
I understand fans' rage. But for sure he capitalized on that spot and has now won many hearts.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I'm glad to hear he has many fans.
I just read few comments that were supportive (here and on sport.ru) and I heard Tarasova said Gumennik should have won and it sounded like he was left off of Zagitova's next v-log, too. He was probably just off to a doping control or something, but honestly I started to wonder why all that's. I get that he's not considered the clear male top skater, the competition is too tight, but it seemed weird to me. (I don't really follow the social media accounts of individual skaters so I don't really know how many fans they have there or what is said there.)

Reactions: Tav

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I'm glad to hear he has many fans.
I just read few comments that were supportive (here and on sport.ru) and I heard Tarasova said Gumennik should have won and it sounded like he was left off of Zagitova's next v-log, too. He was probably just off to a doping control or something, but honestly I started to wonder why all that's. I get that he's not considered the clear male top skater, the competition is too tight, but it seemed weird to me. (I don't really follow the social media accounts of individual skaters so I don't really know how many fans they have there or what is said there.)
Tarasova didn't watch the SP. In the free skate she said Gumennik was the best. She didn't say anything about who deserved the gold, I don't understand why too many Russian fans make it a big deal. The next day Tarasova congratulated Zhenya and posted a photo with him.

Alina's vlog has over a minute of moments with Zhenya including an alternate angle from the green room. She just didn't interview him because she interviewed him during the broadcast.

Last edited:

niks

On the Ice
Some impressions after having finally caught up with the Men event (I was bummed I couldn't watch it live, hopefully it will be scheduled during the weekend next year🤞).

I loved Dima's performances, great flow and beautiful artistry :love2: I really wished he had medalled. I was so excited when he for once landed all his jumps because it meant he gave himself a very good fighting chance; alas it was not enough in the end.... So now I'm rooting for him to finally get his beautiful skating back into the podium at the very next big competition, go Dima! :biggrin:

Not sure what happened to Sasha but sadly he lacked his usual energy, sparkle and connection to the public :( And sad as well for Gleb, Matvei and Mark who didn't have the skates they would have hoped for; and for Alexei too who I hope can recover quickly and continue the season. Any updates on him? Felt crushed for Daniil, as the only skater from outside Moscow / St Petersburg it was probably even harder for him to reach Nationals; he was so disappointed after the free that it was hard to see (plus his coach was like totally strucked in the face of sheer tragedy 😢. I wish him well, that he can be proud on his achievement of reaching Nats, capitalise on this and come back stronger 💪.

On to the positives now, Makar did very well ! :clap: And Illia too, nice to see him back after fighting with injury. Breakthrough skates for Semion and a big result for Zhenya, champion two years in a row, and with a bit less tension than last year :biggrin:

I enjoyed the event very much, simply love Russian men skating, so full of beauty and feelings! And end-up feeling actually quite invested in like half of the participants here :biggrin: (plus a few others who couldn't make it). So fingers crossed now for great showings at the GP Final for Gleb, Matvei, Sasha, Mark and Alexei so they get a chance for the National team! :hap10:... without knocking off Dima, Makar nor Ilya of course!... (well nor Semion nor Roman either, come to think of it poor guys, and of course the medallists are already a lock for the team).... So there you go, skating gods, a real challenge for you :laugh:

MintGreen

On the Ice
Twice in a row the decisions that sent Semenenko to 2021 worlds and 2022 euros were not without controversy. And both time it went in his favor with contradictory reasonings. In 2021, he was sent to worlds as a 11th place finisher in Russian national and with no international experience. He was selected because of "the cup final result" according to RusFed.

In season 2021-22, up to the Russian national, all Russian men were all over the places in international competitions with no one clearly ahead of others except maybe Kolyada. Semenenko finished 4th place in Russian national. Yet he was sent to Euros ahead of Mozalev who finished 3rd. This time, the reason ResFed gave was "his experience". In euros, he once again finished behind Mozalev. So his consistency was neither established nor proven at the point when he was selected. Still, he became the chosen one in both seasons.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Some impressions after having finally caught up with the Men event (I was bummed I couldn't watch it live, hopefully it will be scheduled during the weekend next year🤞).

I loved Dima's performances, great flow and beautiful artistry :love2: I really wished he had medalled. I was so excited when he for once landed all his jumps because it meant he gave himself a very good fighting chance; alas it was not enough in the end.... So now I'm rooting for him to finally get his beautiful skating back into the podium at the very next big competition, go Dima! :biggrin:

Not sure what happened to Sasha but sadly he lacked his usual energy, sparkle and connection to the public :( And sad as well for Gleb, Matvei and Mark who didn't have the skates they would have hoped for; and for Alexei too who I hope can recover quickly and continue the season. Any updates on him? Felt crushed for Daniil, as the only skater from outside Moscow / St Petersburg it was probably even harder for him to reach Nationals; he was so disappointed after the free that it was hard to see (plus his coach was like totally strucked in the face of sheer tragedy 😢. I wish him well, that he can be proud on his achievement of reaching Nats, capitalise on this and come back stronger 💪.

On to the positives now, Makar did very well ! :clap: And Illia too, nice to see him back after fighting with injury. Breakthrough skates for Semion and a big result for Zhenya, champion two years in a row, and with a bit less tension than last year :biggrin:

I enjoyed the event very much, simply love Russian men skating, so full of beauty and feelings! And end-up feeling actually quite invested in like half of the participants here :biggrin: (plus a few others who couldn't make it). So fingers crossed now for great showings at the GP Final for Gleb, Matvei, Sasha, Mark and Alexei so they get a chance for the National team! :hap10:... without knocking off Dima, Makar nor Ilya of course!... (well nor Semion nor Roman either, come to think of it poor guys, and of course the medallists are already a lock for the team).... So there you go, skating gods, a real challenge for you :laugh:

Agree with almost everything. :biggrin:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Twice in a row the decisions that sent Semenenko to 2021 worlds and 2022 euros were not without controversy. And both time it went in his favor with contradictory reasonings. In 2021, he was sent to worlds as a 11th place finisher in Russian national and with no international experience. He was selected because of "the cup final result" according to RusFed.

In season 2021-22, up to the Russian national, all Russian men were all over the places in international competitions with no one clearly ahead of others except maybe Kolyada. Semenenko finished 4th place in Russian national. Yet he was sent to Euros ahead of Mozalev who finished 3rd. This time, the reason ResFed gave was "his experience". In euros, he once again finished behind Mozalev. So his consistency was neither established nor proven at the point when he was selected. Still, he became the chosen one in both seasons.
Seems like Eteri in women, Mishin has the edge in men's politicking. I don't think that Semenenko would have been sent to worlds if he was with another coach (who isn't Eteri). No matter that 1st place in cup final. Nor would have been sent to euros.
Also, Matvei wouldn't even have a chance for podiums. Judges wouldn’t have given him those big PCS (that he deserves) in cup stages.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Also, Matvei wouldn't even have a chance for podiums. Judges wouldn’t have given him those big PCS (that he deserves) in cup stages.
But Kolyada, for example, always received high GOEs and PCS. In the Russian community there was a joke about the influential Chebotareva. Vlad has a little-known coach and he has been scored well since juniors (long before the 4Lz). Lutfullin had never been judged generously, even though he is coached by Mishin.

I opened Vetlugin's old junior protocols and he was very well scored even with the previous coach. Better than for example Zonov.

Edit: Savosin gets above 90 PCS without falls.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
But Kolyada, for example, always received high GOEs and PCS. In the Russian community there was a joke about the influential Chebotareva. Vlad has a little-known coach and he has been scored well since juniors (long before the 4Lz). Lutfullin had never been judged generously, even though he is coached by Mishin.

I opened Vetlugin's old junior protocols and he was very well scored even with the previous coach. Better than for example Zonov.

Edit: Savosin gets above 90 PCS without falls.
Consistency and tech content played a part in these men's PCS. Kolyada was getting some good results. Savosin was fantastic during cup stages, with high tech. I don't know about Vlad in juniors, it suprises me.
I think for Matvei, his inconsistency and low tech would have been more a problem for him if he wasn't with Mishin. His artistic skills would have been less recognized. He won a cup stage with 92 PCS despite 2 pops. About Gleb, he was scoring better last season. But unfortunately for him, his inconsistency and less obvious atistic qualities are against him.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I think Vetlugin's qualities are visibly outstanding and special - you don't need to watch him closely or pay attention to realize that this is a special skater. That's why he gets good PCS in my opinion.
It is similar with Kolyada, although surely with him there was a hope that he would get medals he didn't get in the end - while I'm not sure whether there are any high hopes for Vetlugin.
It is pleasantly surprising to see Savosin scored so well, but maybe apart from the tech it helps him that he has programs that work very well for him and show the entertainer's side.

Regarding Gleb it took me longer to really see his qualities, I don't think they are as in your face as those of Vetlugin. But his free skate this year is able to break my heart, and it is definitely the technical mess he produces, not just with falls and pops, but just overall, that hurts his scores. He also has a tendency to give up and you can see it in his body language, how he's annoyed with himself, tuning out of the performance - I think he didn't do it now at the NC, but I doubt that has a good effect on the judges/his scores. :frown:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Regarding Gleb it took me longer to really see his qualities, I don't think they are as in your face as those of Vetlugin. But his free skate this year is able to break my heart, and it is definitely the technical mess he produces, not just with falls and pops, but just overall, that hurts his scores. He also has a tendency to give up and you can see it in his body language, how he's annoyed with himself, tuning out of the performance - I think he didn't do it now at the NC, but I doubt that has a good effect on the judges/his scores. :frown:
I agree with that. I only mentioned him as an example, that if coaching influence on the scores is there, it is small.

In general I think the federation is interested in well-rounded men and not just jumps. In two days we have seen only one StSq4 and a lot of bad spins.