2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Mens SP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Mens SP

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, I got back to my screen breathlessly, and I must have missed the quad/fall ...

but I was immediately captivated by the music "Alexander Hamilton!" such an exuberant but yet musical shout.

But more than that, I was completely drawn into Jason's skating. Not really a surprise to me, but I loved all the sharp moves, turns, and huge kicks which went right with the music and the whole IDEA of Alexander Hamilton. Halfway through, I realized I wasn't watching for the jumps. Not my highest priority, ever, but to me it just shows the power of Jason.

p.s. I saw part of the warm-up, and I saw Jason 3-turning through the background, saw his ponytail swaying, and I was just overcome with happiness and relief to see the ponytail again. I missed it so much! Love the costume too.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think Shoma looks like he's determined to show improvement in his kind of one-note dramatic interpretation gestures. The thing about Shoma is he's so smooth as butter, he's mezmerizing, and his skating skills are good. And he's very precocious to be that talented so young. Otherwise, I think Jason Brown edges Shoma in choreographic range and nuance of musical interpretation.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Shoma looks like he's determined to show improvement in his kind of one-note dramatic interpretation gestures. The thing about Shoma is he's so smooth as butter, he's mezmerizing, and his skating skills are good. And he's very precocious to be that talented so young. Otherwise, I think Jason Brown edges Shoma in choreographic range and nuance of musical interpretation.

what makes Shoma special to me, on top of his smooth skating is his "raw" emotion... he is very passionate. I feel that when I watch him skate. It is very genuine IMO. I appreciate the details in Jason's choreo but I will have to watch this program more often since I don't know Hamilton nor the music and it puzzled me.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Regarding choreography and nuances, I often wonder what Rohene Ward would choreograph for Shoma.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Way to go Matteo. I just love me some Italian men skating to Italian opera .... [swooning ...] Also, he had such a happy, sexy sweet smile somewhere in the middle of the program.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what an awful version of what a wonderful world... how does one do musical interpretation when the singer is flat all way through?

Eclair

Medalist
Loved Jason's SP! The choreography is creative, unique and interesting! Maybe there's a highkick too much at the end, but fabulous program overall😍 And never thought his ponytail would match his costume so much 😂

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Bless you, Louis Armstrong, that you are dead and don't need to hear what they do to your masterpieces these days.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Way to go Matteo. I just love me some Italian men skating to Italian opera .... [swooning ...] Also, he had such a happy, sexy sweet smile somewhere in the middle of the program.

to me this worked better than Deniss simply because you can see that Matteo understands each word... his movements were on musical highlights and matching music very well. I felt Deniss was wonderful in his step sequence for that but the rest of his program I wondered if he knew what he was skating about.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, I'm in love.:love: James Min from Australia. His joy in skating and his SMILE made me immediately think of Katia Gordeeva at age 16.

James captured that music. Everything about it. His flow on the ice and his expansive arm movements made me think "sky" before the lyrics said "sky." Of course, I have that song memorized and sing it as a duet ... but I swear, I wasn't thinking about the next words until he portrayed them so beautifully.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I love Min from Australia.

He was good in the JGP and he was good here, way to go. Lovely expression, lovely arm movement, just really like this kid! Hopefully someone can get to work with him some more on those jumps but great outing for him!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
what an awful version of what a wonderful world... how does one do musical interpretation when the singer is flat all way through?

My sentiments exactly. Where is Louis Armstrong when we need him? It's like someone other than Ella-perfect-pitch Fitzgerald singing "Summertime".

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love me some James Min, but that cover::eek:

I don't think *any* skater I have seen really knows opera, nor do I expect them to. (Look, a sad clown!) Not even Matteo.
But I looove Deniss and I don't think this music is a good fit for him (yet)....

And evaluation of interpretation will just be personal. I find Jason to be among the most genuine and committed performersin skating, like, ever. I have seen others call it fake? Superficial? :confused: Criticisms that I completely don't get.:confused: But that's me, and YMMV...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I love me some James Min, but that cover::eek:

I don't think *any* skater I have seen really knows opera, nor do I expect them to. (Look, a sad clown!) Not even Matteo.
But I looove Deniss and I don't think this music is a good fit for him (yet)....

i am not talking about knowing opera or not... i am talking about knowing Italian lyrics ;)
if a skater is using a song with lyrics, whatever the language, they need to know what it's talking about... IMHO

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Landry LeMay. What a great name! I really enjoyed his 'I Put a Spell on You,' too. Something about it. I already forgot, but the feeling lingers.