2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 72 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I understand the lack of maturity in presentation comments for Mai, it's true. But I think her Cinderella music is perfect for her. The mood, the story, her story, it all matches up. Skating like a pretty princess is just fine with me since it matches her style and her present abilities. Next season, she will branch out. This season, she's Cinderella. -A very convincing princess.:thumbsup:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I understand the lack of maturity in presentation comments for Mai, it's true. But I think her Cinderella music is perfect for her. The mood, the story, her story, it all matches up. Skating like a pretty princess is just fine with me since it matches her style and her present abilities. Next season, she will branch out. This season, she's Cinderella. -A very convincing princess.:thumbsup:

you know what happened to Cinderella after she married Charming? She had many children, had to change diapers, do laundry and dishes and never went back to the ball again... :laugh2:

I also find the packaging a bit off... but not off enough to deny her from winning when she skates it like that.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't have known that the music was "Cinderella" if Johnny and Tara hadn't told me.

By the way, Johnny criticized Boyang Jin's SP costume and choreography for not being Spiderman enough.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
To tell the truth, I wouldn't have known that the music was "Cinderella" if Johnny and Tara hadn't told me.

By the way, Johnny criticized Boyang Jin's SP costume and choreography for not being Spiderman enough.

can johnny shimmy?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

What? That's ridicilous..... Short of wearing the blue and red Spiderman cosplay, which honestly would be too much, what more does he want? Jin even includes the iconic web-flicking thingie. It's not an exhibition piece.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mai Mihara skated a beautifully clean SP and FS and her win was richly deserved. I had prognosticated after the SP that Mai was very close in score to Daleman and Osmond and if Mai skated a clean FS, she had a good chance to win. Mai's freeskates in the GP were near-clean and historically, both Daleman and Osmond were prone to errors in their freeskates.

I was a little surprised to see Gabby look so angry on the podium, as if she had been robbed---which she wasn't, as she popped the loop and stepped out of the axel in her 6-triple FS, while Mai skated a squeaky clean 7-triple program. Gabby was ahead of Mai by only 1.74 points after the SP, and Mai outscored Gabby in the FS by 5.81. Nothing unfair there.

Gabby needs to accept that sometimes you skate your best and someone else skates better, and the best approach is to smile and look forward to the next competition where you will do better. If you let your frustration show on the podium, it just makes you look like a sore loser.

Maybe if Gabby realized that Mai is lucky to be able to skate at all due to the crippling arthritis that has kept her off the ice from time to time. It takes a lot of guts and determination to keep going when your body can betray you at any moment. If she seems juniorish to some, it is because at 17, she hasn't been able to keep the same regular competition schedule over the years as other ladies the same age because of her illness. But when you look at her face, you can see the strength and maturity there.

I am doubly glad that Mai was able to win this championship because of the struggles she has had and may have again in the future.

Last edited:
^ Nah, Daleman didn't look like she was mad or a sore loser. She looked like she was thinking, "I skated really well except for a couple of mistakes that I can clean up by Worlds. I am proud of my silver medal. Congratulation to Mai, she's such a sweetheart and she skated so well."

That's how I read Gabby's expression, anyway. YMMD.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I liked Mirai, and I was intrigues by her music choice, mainly the words. I know it's an ABBA cover, but it may be linked to what happened to Mirai a few years ago, when she was denied her participation at the OG for which she was qualified...The winner takes it all, the loser has to fall...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai wasn't qualified for the OG, though.

Months before nationals, USFS had sent the Olympics qualification criteria to all the coaches and the information was available online for all the skaters to read. Olympic candidates would by selected according to Nationals finish AND to the body of work over the two years prior to the 2014 Nationals. That included Nationals, GP/JGP events, GPF/JFPF, and ISU Championship results. Body of work was a key decision point.

Mirai was not chosen for the Olympics because she had had a string of inconsistent results over the two years leading up to Nationals 2014, including two off the podium finishes in the GP (one an 8th place in 2013), and two 7th place finishes at previous nationals; her best results were two bronze GP medals and a 2011 bronze 4CC medal, and 3rd place at 2014 Nationals.

Wagner, OTOH, won 2012-13 GPF silver and 2013-14 GPF bronze, 2012 4CC gold, was 4th at 2012 Worlds and 5th at 2013 Worlds, and won the US championship at the two previous nationals. Her only nontypical result was her 4th place at 2014 Nationals.

The choice of Wagner over Nagasu was obvious---and perfectly fair. Ashley went on to place 7th in Sochi and 7th at 2014 Worlds.

For the next Olympic body of work:
Mirai finished 10th at 2014 4CC, and 6th and 4th in the 2014-15 GP. She was 10th at 2015 Nationals and had one 2015-16 GP where she finished 5th. She was 4th at 2016 Nationals, 2nd at 2016 4CC, and replaced Polina Edmunds at 2016 Worlds, where she finished 10th. She won the 2016 Canadian Autumn Classic, bronze at Nepela, and in the 2016-17 GP she was 9th and 5th. She was 4th at 2017 Nationals and won 4CC bronze.

If she places 1st-4th at 2018 Nationals, this body of work will be compared to others placing 1st-4th (the champion no longer is guaranteed an Olympic spot).

sidneyke

Rinkside
Zijun's clean, beautiful FS scores 116, Osmond's 4 fall FS, a painful to watch mess, scores 115???????

It's awful how Zijun is low balled. The detail and sophistication of her programs are beautiful to watch. Her program components scoring being so extreme low, shows the PC scoring for the joke is really is! In the short, she finished with a 28.50. It must be utterly demoralizing for her to put all that work in to create such beauty in the fashion and way she moves and not have that rewarded. It's really pitiful! She has pacing and pays attention to the music. She never hits a bad position. When it comes to performing, she is a top of the shelf talent - one of the most elegant + graceful skaters I've ever seen!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Gabby a sore loser? That's rich!

Gabby does the Meagan Duhamel 'break down your skating in the kiss & cry' thing. If she's unhappy about her skate, it shows. Nothing against Mihara... who could hate that girl anyways? She's an adorable young lady.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Zijun's clean, beautiful FS scores 116, Osmond's 4 fall FS, a painful to watch mess, scores 115???????

She did not have 4 falls, b-man, she was dinged automatically after 3 in this judging system. Kaetlyn is a beautiful skater who had an off day. Judges recognized her presentation qualities and other aspects including, the best 3F/3T and 2A/3T of the competition. She finished 6th in the LP, and 4th overall, due to a decent SP.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I was a little surprised to see Gabby look so angry on the podium

Gees chuckm, I did not see that at all. This being her first ISU medal, I thought she was gracious to both Mai and Mirai, and she lit up when she saw Yuna! Being the closest competitor to Yuna, who was off to Gabby's right side, you could see her glance over several times. How thrilling to be receiving not only her first ISU medal but to then receive flowers from a legend. This was a beautiful moment for her people, let her enjoy it!

I predicted on this Forum after TEB, that Gabby would soon be on an ISU podium and I have no doubt there will be many more to come!

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think Gabrielle has a classic face, very sharp lines. Unfortunately that can look kind of intimidating and angry even if she's probably not.

Sackie

Medalist
Really why is there such a need to bash any CAN skater that does well! So Gabby didn't look all smiles on the podium - who cares! I would much rather her look somber on the podium then to have a somber face through out her performance on the ice as some other skaters do.