2017 GP NHK Free Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Free Dance

Purv

Match Penalty
I think their skating and movements are very nuanced and world class. With interpretation I think they do sadness/sweetness extremely well but not drama, sexiness, passion, etc. That may just come with more years of experience. I think they've chosen a piece that at least for the second part requires more than sweetness/sadness. Either they need to acknowledge it in their interpretation or they should choreographically and I haven't seen either.

YEs I suppose they should do something more choreographically with that second part, i am ma sure they will do, they always change something. We ll see

It depends what we expect when we say sexiness. For me paso doble was

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
So if you want to talk about the brilliant choice of Beethoven for P/C I recommend you sit down with the score, and play through the piece... and imagine choreography on it... if you cannot play the instrument, still, take the score and look at the 3rd movement... the waves of 16th notes that start from the lower register of the piano going higher and higher... and then restarting... etc... there is a lot of opportunities here for ice coverage, for exciting twizzles and intricate step sequences... however all of these elements have been reserved for the slow and static part of the piece.... missed opportunities for me... as if there was no global concept from the get go... and as if they had started with the first half, made the most of it, but then, didn't consider what they would do for the fast part and used the leftover elements...

I agree with you that the choreography on the presto part can be improved, the music there is extremely demanding and it is a huge gamble to take that on while you claim to really dance and express the music. However, I don't find it such a disaster as you do. I feel there is room for improvement and I hope they will be able to get the big accents right, but it's not as if they are completely ignoring the music in that part either.

I may be very much mistaken, but I am getting the feeling that Gadbois is getting so much work on their plate that there is somehow not enough time left for each choreography anymore. Somehow it feels as if everything needed to go fast; no time to really take a deep breath, sit and listen, and take the time to imagine what the music would look like if it were movement. Somehow, with all my respect and adoration, it seems that there could be just a bit more work done on several of their choreographies.

That said, I saw the Danes for the first time yesterday and I was blown away. Goodness, I am certainly completely blind to the technical stuff, but what a performance! Magnificent, really the most gripping and convincing acting I saw at NHK (didn't see everything but most of the FDs). What a lovely couple. Why the hell are they not ranked higher? Is their technique that bad??

itoja

Rinkside
The main thing is that in the second part of the program ,music is super fast. Very fast piano music, and it is very hard to translate into the ice through movements of the body. Even V/M wouldnt do it just like that ;) I said once that they would have to be freaking Michael Flatley

... or the man from your avatar :yay: - https://youtu.be/L1a_49-XzPA?t=170

P/C' "Moonlight Sonata" is a masterpiece, so pure and ethereal - I think I watch it every day. After a long day, I just have to have my Moonlight, it feels like I'm entering another dimension... and every time I notice some new detail, some hand movements, a look, it never gets boring.
But yeah, I wish they do more on the fast part.

I love V/M in "Moulin Rouge" too. The program - it almost doesn't matter. It's like watching high skilled, legendary artists in a well known play, the play doesn't matter much, you just feel privileged to witness such greatness, how they love, fight, the way she dies. Yeah, I cry from the moment she climbs the last lift...
I only wish there was more tango in this Tango. More passion, more jealousy. Except Scott's moment "you're free to leave me" :)love: ) I don't feel much emotion from them in this part, which is strange.

Oh, H/D' program is HOT HOT HOT!!! :love:

Nikita, please, burn the rags you wear as your costume! :palmf:

MIM

Medalist
I‎t is hard to not compare V/M to P/C. Also, there are wonderful and intelligent points brought up by the posters here, too.

To me, P/C creates an atmosphere through their music, emotional connection, and dancing quality. That is how I can see blue moon rays over the quiet lake, and breezes, waves in the lake by watching them dancing together to Moonlight Sonata. I‎t is ethereal, noble, poetic way to design and execute ID. I believe they have been approaching to ID this way since their sensational Mozart; they have been listening to the music to the core in searching for the universal language to (re)create the experience with movements on ice. Building home was perfect metaphor/vehicle with which they constructed a place on ice where their impression to the music (and the viewers’) can dwell. There has been criticism of them repeating themselves, but i think it was them exploring their language with different music. Ironocally, the best way to learn a language is by repetition;)

V/M’s approach, conversely is picturesque. They draw a vivid and colorful image on ice through their music, emotional connection, and dace quality. The admirable thing for V/M is the versatility; they can be as atmospheric as in Mahler in 2010 and picturesque as in Carmen, 2013. I‎t is interesting they choose the pitureque route for this Olympics season.
The lyric says “you don’t have to sell your body to the night” ; I‎t is not an enlightening piece of music not alone a profession of the heroine. But, we are living in the 21c; instead of taking things literally,we are free to get inspired by the emotional rawness of the original film. I totally agree with NoNameFace description; Scott being a Frame for his unattainable idol/love, Tessa. The viewers see Tessa through Scott’s eyes/performance and, of course, Ewan Mcgregor’s vocal. H/D inciated this sort of conversational dance narrative (male vocal portrays a male dancer while a female vocal portrays female dancer) last season in their FD. And I loved its complex yet clear structure. Compared to their performance at the SC, Scott turned up the performance volume and Tessa turned it down. I think they are experimenting and adjusting as the season goes to find the perfect balance.

After watching two amazing teams’ performance, l agree they both have beautifully crafted materials excelling their own strength and charms. I‎t will be interesting to see how they build up their momentum and feed-back to the rest of the season.

viennaskater

Medalist
I love Strictly Ballroom! So much fun.

The Canadian team really needs Patrick. Even at less than his best, Patrick is still by far the best man Canada has right now.

I disagree - I find Keegan Messing way more entertaining to watch, and he's doing pretty well technically.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
^^ i have not watched the movie and never intend to do so... not my thing... i don't have any issues with the two songs juxtaposition.... i think the "i love yous" are very scott and tessa... and yes.. i agree.. Scott is on fire.... his facial expressions, the sharpness of his movements... gosh... there is a world of evolution with the guy from yesterday and mini scott from 8 years ago..

my favourite 'fire' moment from Scott is him channelling his own Mick Jagger during non-touching step sequence in SD - Tessa can do the samba around etc., but he's like 'don't bothered, honey' and giving the attitude:laugh:

JustMe

On the Ice
Loved V/M's free dance! Well, at least the first half..the second half felt like a very enjoyable, yet long ending... I'm sure I just need to get used to the climax of this free dance being in the beginning instead of in the middle or end. And Tessa, wow, she seemed to be skating in 3D on my laptop!
H/D are great, and making me feel very excited for US nationals...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm not sure why we need to be discussing a team that wasn't even at this event at length and not discussing teams that actually were here. This is the NHK FD thread, yeah?

Surprise of this event was seeing SinKat bounce back from Minsk. That was good. Are they Russian ice dance team number 2 or 3 now? That's good for them. Nationals should be quite interesting but both them and S/B have another event to wrack up points. I think S/K have a better chance for a medal at Skate America than S/B at IdF but we'll have to see how things go.

Anna & Luca are sweet and I think Japanese fans love them. Anna's FD dress :love: They scored quite decently, even beating H/D in PCS in both the SD & FD, though one could probably find more marks for them. At their next event, perhaps. I think they will probably take the silver at Skate America.

I'm still amazed by how Penny & Nick just showed up and performed with such short notice. They were disappointed by their scores but even getting on the GP is another step back and it was great to see them. I am not sure about their costumes, however. The music sounds East Asian but their costumes don't seem to match that style. On the other hand Kana Muramoto's dress fit the theme. The only thing that I was wondering though was that if the FD dress is the same colour as their SD costumes. I thought they'd go for something a bit different in colour. Kana has become a wonderful ice dancer. :)

There was a moment in the Danes' FD where her skirt wrapped her boot and Nikolaj immediately fixed it but it gave me a scare. :eeking: I find myself focusing on her skirt and notice that she's sometimes holding it more than she is Nikolaj...she should definitely be holding him more because certain people here would love to be in her place. ;) I am not sure how they're managing to skate with a skirt of that length without making errors but it must have taken quite some practice to get used to it. I can appreciate that.

I would love to see Lauriault/Le Gac get better choreo and music choices. I am not quite digging what they're skating to these days. Does she have her citizenship? Are we gonna see them at the Olympics? I read that Abachkina got hers recently.

professordeb

Spectator
I'm not sure why we need to be discussing a team that wasn't even at this event at length and not discussing teams that actually were here. This is the NHK FD thread, yeah?

Surprise of this event was seeing SinKat bounce back from Minsk. That was good. Are they Russian ice dance team number 2 or 3 now? That's good for them. Nationals should be quite interesting but both them and S/B have another event to wrack up points. I think S/K have a better chance for a medal at Skate America than S/B at IdF but we'll have to see how things go.

Anna & Luca are sweet and I think Japanese fans love them. Anna's FD dress :love: They scored quite decently, even beating H/D in PCS in both the SD & FD, though one could probably find more marks for them. At their next event, perhaps. I think they will probably take the silver at Skate America.

I'm still amazed by how Penny & Nick just showed up and performed with such short notice. They were disappointed by their scores but even getting on the GP is another step back and it was great to see them. I am not sure about their costumes, however. The music sounds East Asian but their costumes don't seem to match that style. On the other hand Kana Muramoto's dress fit the theme. The only thing that I was wondering though was that if the FD dress is the same colour as their SD costumes. I thought they'd go for something a bit different in colour. Kana has become a wonderful ice dancer. :)

There was a moment in the Danes' FD where her skirt wrapped her boot and Nikolaj immediately fixed it but it gave me a scare. :eeking: I find myself focusing on her skirt and notice that she's sometimes holding it more than she is Nikolaj...she should definitely be holding him more because certain people here would love to be in her place. ;) I am not sure how they're managing to skate with a skirt of that length without making errors but it must have taken quite some practice to get used to it. I can appreciate that.

I would love to see Lauriault/Le Gac get better choreo and music choices. I am not quite digging what they're skating to these days. Does she have her citizenship? Are we gonna see them at the Olympics? I read that Abachkina got hers recently.

This! Why do some teams show up in discussion when they didn't compete. I don't understand it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me? Fibro fog strikes again!