2017 GP NHK Ladies SP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Ladies SP

npavel

On the Ice
I mean she said among the reasons why she came back to compete, she wants to medal at Pyeonchang and looking at her scores she is a serious candidate for the silver or bronze.
It's not thru. She said she came back because she wanted to show artistry and give it to the sport. She said she had all achievements she ever wanted and can finally concentrate to show artistry and bring out the joy of skating.

kiamma

Rinkside
No one cares about Rika, but I love that girl. Too bad she's not going to the Olympics either.

I love Rika, I was cheering her on in my lounge room tonight. Glad to see her in the final flight for tomorrow. She is so different from the other skaters, and I don't even mind when her jumps are off. I just want to see her do well, but I agree barring a catastrophe, at this stage I think Mai and Wakaba will be going to the Olympics.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Personally I expected a bit more from Polina's SP. Game of Thrones always comes with expectation, but I see no relation to that, the choreography looks exactly like what Evgenia's choreo looked like during the last few years. Her jumps are phenomenal, high and powerful, clearly rotated. Still, I think Alina showed more individualism in her programs. For me personally this is too obviously Med-style.

A bit disappointed in Satoko's jumps, because I adore her SP, it's one of my favourites of this season. I see her chances are getting lower to get on that team.

Carolina impresses with consistency. I thought Russia had been a lucky outing for her, but if she actually begins to skate clean all the time, she can even get on that Olympic Podium. Who would've guessed? :agree:

No one cares about Rika, but I love that girl. Too bad she's not going to the Olympics either.

Ah..almost forgot...the 3A. The message is clear, no one cares about the 3 A anymore. Liza and Mirai land them, but no one cares. Too bad.

I'm honestly so sad that so few people care for Rika, she's got such a distinctive style on the ice compared to a lot of other ladies at a time where I hear many complaints about cookie-cutter choreo.

Although I don't think Mirai or Tukt are very strong in the presentation side of their skating and are notorious for inconsistency (gotta wonder what happened to Tukt, I think she's actually regressed in presentation since her world gold), I do think it's interesting how little the judges seem to care about the 3A. I honestly have nothing against Medvedeva and in a lot of ways respect her skills, even if her choreo doesn't really do it for me, but I am a little blown away how a skater without a 3A (and without a 3lz?) can get over 80 points in the short, no matter the transitional content. Perhaps the judges are trying to downplay huge tech elements in the ladies to try and hold back the 3A/quad fest that seems to be coming up soon in juniors? There's been so much complaints about the technical aspect dominating the men's event that I wouldn't be surprised if the judges really want to keep the women focused on the artistic side, which is really what Med sells herself on.

kiamma

Rinkside
You cant see it? It is obvious ! Clinical death:laugh:

I think you're joking, but in case not, it's about the soul flight, and she is being called back to her body. Not quite clinical death in that sense.

I don't mind the opening heart beats, but I don't like the ending breath or heartbeats. I'm glad that people clap over them :palmf:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It's not thru. She said she came back because she wanted to show artistry and give it to the sport. She said she had all achievements she ever wanted and can finally concentrate to show artistry and bring out the joy of skating.

At Gazzetta dello Sport (or Repubblica) at the question if she has a new boyfriend she said that she doesn't have time, her goal is to medal at the Olympics.

tosca

On the Ice
Yeah it bothers me that her PCS is the same old. the judges are not really their part of encourage her to emote more... such sad

I agree - BUT i think that if she continues to have programs like this and build upon them the PCS will rise. She is too up and down and unfortunately PCS is built on reputation not performance :(

BUT I LOVE MIRAI and am so happy!

andromache

Record Breaker
Satoko's interpretive style has improved since her last outing. I've always thought she looks quite rehearsed - like she doesn't fake it well enough to make her performance look natural/inspired, but she has improved in this area a lot. Her dress is gorgeous. But she has a tough, tough road ahead to make the Olympic team.

Alifyre

On the Ice
At Gazzetta dello Sport (or Repubblica) at the question if she has a new boyfriend she said that she doesn't have time, her goal is to medal at the Olympics.

Honestly, although I do find her free a little snoozy this year, I think it would be wonderful to see a woman of Carolina's age on the podium at the olympics. I think it would help change the conception that success in figure skating only comes in a flash of youth, which I think is especially important considering the way ladies FS (esp in Russia) is constantly churning out new young talents only for them to fall to the wayside by the time they're 19 or so. Her medaling could be a great message to the skaters in their late teens/early 20s to really refine their artistry and use their maturity to bring more beauty and nuance to the sport and stay competitive in the process, and also give something to hope for for the younger girls who are worried their stint in the sport might end when they're 16/17.

(And yes I know Caro has had a stunning career pretty much her whole life, but I think what's astounded me most is how she's holding on and even getting better as she ages.)

andromache

Record Breaker
Honestly, although I do find her free a little snoozy this year, I think it would be wonderful to see a woman of Carolina's age on the podium at the olympics. I think it would help change the conception that success in figure skating only comes in a flash of youth, which I think is especially important considering the way ladies FS (esp in Russia) is constantly churning out new young talents only for them to fall to the wayside by the time they're 19 or so. Her medaling could be a great message to the skaters in their late teens/early 20s to really refine their artistry and use their maturity to bring more beauty and nuance to the sport and stay competitive in the process, and also give something to hope for for the younger girls who are worried their stint in the sport might end when they're 16/17.

I think what is just as important as Carolina's artistry are her skating skills (not as good as they were 4 years ago now, but still enough to keep her in the top tier of ladies) and her incredible jump technique. She never underrotates or receives edge calls. Her jumps are big and effortless, with beautiful landings.

Real talk though - Carolina is also very lucky that she has never had to deal with internal competition in her country.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

(And yes I know Caro has had a stunning career pretty much her whole life, but I think what's astounded me most is how she's holding on and even getting better as she ages.)

If this is an improvement over her previous successes how did she win a world title? an Olympic medal?
I actually think that she was better between 2010-2014...

Alifyre

On the Ice
If this is an improvement over her previous successes how did she win a world title? an Olympic medal?

Ok, if not getting better at least remaining competitive. Has there ever been a lady at 30 who was in serious medal contention for an olympic medal before?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Ladies figure skating between 2010-2014 was nowhere near to this level.

Russia didn't have many great talents, Japan also was relying on the old skaters (Asada, Ando, Suzuki, Murakami), US was pretty much the same as today (maybe slightly better),...

So Yuna Kim and Mao Asada were on a different league, and Carolina was right behind them because of her artistry, the rest of the field was very forgettable.

Caro won the World title when Mao had to rework her technique and Yuna took a year off, so it was the right time for her.

At Sochi Mao Asada bombed the SP, Julia fell on each program, and Gracie Gold on the long program (the SP was also very shaky), so again she took her chance.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I’m wondering whether anyone is as outraged as I am about the BESP commentators insinuating that Satoko won her world medal because the JSF helped her?! And calling her replaceable? The bathroom break comment (from CoC) is nothing compared to some of the things they were saying about her, in my opinion.

Seems like few people are outraged but I agree, the B.ESP commentary for Satoko is potentially worse than the bathroom break comment.

Mai Mihara hasn't scored higher than 66 this season so I don't see how Satoko is that far behind for now. Waiting for tomorrow's FS before saying her Olympic chances are gone, but most importantly for Nationals. :agree:

nocturnalis

Medalist
I’m wondering whether anyone is as outraged as I am about the BESP commentators insinuating that Satoko won her world medal because the JSF helped her?! And calling her replaceable? The bathroom break comment (from CoC) is nothing compared to some of the things they were saying about her, in my opinion.

Shin Amano called everyone else's under rotations but Satoko's, so sometimes I wonder.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I don't know why she needs that small black bow but I love the cut, color, and simplicity of this dress. It is simple without looking like a practice dress.

I didn't have time to go through all the posts so I'm sorry if this was already mentioned here... she was wearing that tiny ribbon attached to her costume in memory of two very young (aged 9 and 17) and promising Italian skaters who were killed in a car accident while going back home after a skating competition a few days ago...

mrrice

Record Breaker
I missed the SP but after looking at the scores I need to know what happened to Alaine Chartrand and Mariah Bell?? I didn't expect them to medal but, I certainly didn't see them so far back. Soyoun as well.....Here's hoping they can get it together for the free. Alaine and Mariah are fighting for O-Team spots and this will not help them if there's a tight race at Nationals...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah just doubled her flip which invalidatedthe the whole pass. I think the judges made her pay for it too in PCS because she looked great otherwise. She did her best 3z-3t I’ve ever seen.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
That was a great program choice for Satoko.

As for Evgenia, they did a close up of her face before she started and she looked fierce. Which makes me think that they should stop trying to give her "high concept" and elegant programs because she just looks like a silly windmill trying to be graceful. Give her something to power through!!!!