2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Elena R I have mixed feelings about. I went between enjoying the program to heavy cringe. Like somehow I'd feel awkward if someone walked in the room during the program. "I can explain..."

Mirai was heartbreaking to watch. She looked so stunning but seemed very tense. She was not feeling the music at all.

Kaori is truly a lovely skater and really feels the music. She must have some sort of natural talent with music. She looked thrilled to be there.

Wakaba knows how to throw down! I'm gonna need some beta blockers or something with these talented Japanese ladies and only 2 Olympic spots!

I didn't think I could ever enjoy 2+ minutes of Celine Dion's yodeling I mean singing but somehow Carolina made it happen! She is something special.

I love love Evgenia's dress. I also love the fact that I saved $9 tonight by deciding to watch the 2 minute version of "Flatliners" instead of seeing it in theatres.
Lol. There is no denying that it was a good program.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Curious question.....is the judge number order in the protocol the same for all skaters? i.e. J3 for Kostner is the same J3 as for Wakaba and the rest of the skaters? Because J8 gave Evgenia a 9.75 (9.75!!!!! That's like almost God-level skating skills!), the highest out of all judges, and 7.75 to Wakaba, the lowest mark of any judge (the rest of the marks were also the lowest). http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/gprus2017_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

As far as I understand, yes. Because judging is no longer anonymous. You can see the panel of judges in the results page too. In your case, J8 will be Yuri Guskov, from Kazakhstan.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
As far as I understand, yes. Because judging is no longer anonymous. You can see the panel of judges in the results page too. In your case, J8 will be Yuri Guskov, from Kazakhstan.

FYI pretty sure this guy is actually Russian (and not just because of the last name).

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

Yes, I know that. But the dude himself is Russian, not Kazakh. Kazakhstan is 20% ethnic Russians. (He is definitely ethnic Russian: http://vesti.kz/conference/25/ ) What's more, there are a lot of problems with ice availability and funding in KZ, so a lot of skaters like Ten train in Russia (and guess who they are helped by?). So, the links here are quite obvious...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, I know that. But the dude himself is Russian, not Kazakh. Kazakhstan is 20% ethnic Russians. (He is definitely ethnic Russian: http://vesti.kz/conference/25/ ) What's more, there are a lot of problems with ice availability and funding in KZ, so a lot of skaters like Ten train in Russia (and guess who they are helped by?). So, the links here are quite obvious...

Erm...Ten trains in the US.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Erm...Ten trains in the US.

I don't follow who trains where and when, but at the moment the article was written (2010), Ten trained in Russia (according to the article). Point is, promising young skaters from KZ do go there to train.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't follow who trains where and when, but at the moment the article was written (2010), Ten trained in Russia (according to the article). Point is, promising young skaters from KZ do go there to train.
I get your point and never said some Kaz skaters don't train in Russia. What I am saying is the two most prominent are in the US. (Since 2010) Ten and
Tursynbayeva In Canada since about 2014/15.

madison

Record Breaker
Evgenia is undoubtedly very good, but not so good as the judges made her...
I really appreciate her mental strength and work ethics... she succeeded so much, as being an average talent :).

lady_bee

Medalist
Kaori's PCS protocol is very interesting, because there is huge gap between J4 & J8.
It seems like they have different standard for judging PCS:think:

I am just a casual fan and don't like making any comment for judging,
but I can see why there are so many criticism against the system.

Anyway, I am happy that many of you have found out Kaori, one of three candidates for my daughter in law.
Isn't she so good and lovable?

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Oh boy, all the questioning about Wakaba's lutz edge is going to make my friend samkrut so happy... i can just see it :palmf: :laugh:

The lutz takeoff is same as before and just fine... like AprilS observed - she had already picked in and started rotating by the time the blade is sort of rocking to an inside edge. Her weight was on the outside edge on the left foot all the way until it was transferred to the right foot.

I think overall the tech caller did a fine job being strict but fair. The flip ! is unnecessarily strict and I think largely caused by reputation (Wakaba and Karen and maybe Polina Tsurskaya are always gonna get these from some callers, even when their takeoff edge is no worse than Yuna Kim's. Heck, even Yuna got a ! every now and then till the end her career).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Did I hear someone chanting "4 more years, 4 more years" after Medvedeva's performance? Pretty sure I did. My personal nightmare.

Wakaba impressed me very much here. Great energy and skating skills. More difficult jumps than Kostner. She should have been ahead.

Mirai falling twice after landing the 3Axel, better luck next time. She's going for it. Exactly as I said before though, her music in direct comparison to Medvedeva just shows how much worse her skating is. This isn't a good program and that bizairre thing she did at the start, where it looked like she was going into a jump combo but then pumped her arms and went around the corner, needs to be changed. What the hell was that, she forgot they planned to do the axel first? Although I actually wish she would do the combo first anyway and then the axel.

Tulipstar

Medalist
This needs captioned!!

Mirai thinking about Lenok: Is that a dress made of hay :scratch3:

Wakababy: I'm so Zen :cool:

Mariah: I can't not look cute :cool:

Zhenia: This is too easy :bed:

Lenok: Is this dress made of Hay? :think:

Dude in Leather coat: I hope everyone knows I'm only looking at her skate guards.:roll5:

This is perfection:laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I really am curious to see the judges' scores. This technical controller is supposedly very strict and always jumps at every opportunity to ding some points.

That is the way they should be, otherwise it is not fair towards the skaters who don´t do UR´s. I think the worst disservice technical controllers can do, is to ignore those faults. As a skater in some future competition meets a technical controller who does her/his job properly, the skater will be unpleasantly surprised.

AprilS

On the Ice
That is the way they should be, otherwise it is not fair towards the skaters who don´t do UR´s. I think the worst disservice technical controllers can do, is to ignore those faults. As a skater in some future competition meets a technical controller who does her/his job, the skater will be unpleasantly surprised.

I think the problem with this is when skaters are maybe ~35 degrees short instead of >45 degrees but still get dinged, for example.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She never quite got that layback, her Lutz edge was questionable, she never mastered a difficult triple-triple. Still -- she was Michelle! :love: :laugh:

I much preferred anyway when Michelle started doing the layback with the dropped leg anyway and as for a 3/3, she did do the 3T/3T when needed. Back then it wasn’t necessary that much and most of the time she could win without it!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think the problem with this is when skaters are maybe ~35 degrees short instead of >45 degrees but still get dinged, for example.

The solution is to train your jumps so, that they are not questionable.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Did I hear someone chanting "4 more years, 4 more years" after Medvedeva's performance? Pretty sure I did. My personal nightmare.

They were chanting 'molodyets', which is 'well done' in Russian, and not some phrase in English (remember this event is in Russia) which makes little sense in context.