2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Evgenia is undoubtedly very good, but not so good as the judges made her...
I really appreciate her mental strength and work ethics... she succeeded so much, as being an average talent :).

I agree. It is the judges, not really herself, why it is difficult to be a big fan of hers. But I try. And I am not fan of too much acting and voice overs either. This year I liked her SP very much, except the rest about 5 or 10 seconds of it. Also elements were in balance, and I liked it.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Evgenia is undoubtedly very good, but not so good as the judges made her...
I really appreciate her mental strength and work ethics... she succeeded so much, as being an average talent :).

To skate clean and win all these competitions in these day and age where all the newcomers are incredibly strong is much more than average.

And she has great qualities, as i wrote before, in transitions she was simply the best in the SP: every element has transitions (outside the combo) in and out and some of them (like her spiral) are difficult, deep edges in the steps sequence, good one foot sections,... she is the complete package: she may not excel on something but she has it all.

Judges are giving new SB and PB when you skate clean (because again, it's difficult to be perfect all the time) so that's also why her score are high.

While if you look at the her competitors there is always a weakness, but we'll see for example that Kaori Sakamoto started great at her debut.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
Another day another glorious clean skate, another screamfest from detractors. That's how it was in the past two or more years and that will probably how it will be in the next few years. :hap93:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Looking at the protocolled video from a few pages back right now... Judge 9, the ITALIAN judge, gave Kostner +3 GOE on jumps with little bumbles at the end and nearly no transitions in?! Why am I shocked... :disapp:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Of course Carolina cannot skate to Medvedeva's "music" that consists of heartbeats, breathing, "OH MY GOD", camera shutter, "come in" etc. It's too "complex" for a skater who is a 5-time European Champion, World Champion and Olympic Bronze Medalist.

And I wasn't even saying anything about the program in the post you quoted me, I was talking about the skating skills score. Evgenia has more transition which is true, but that means she holds her edges relatively shorter than Carolina because she needs to replace those with turns. I don't see how Carolina's smooth, clean and well executed edges should get a lower score than Evgenia complex turns.

Transitions are part of the score and what they are looking for in the criteria. So yes it matters that Med has a lot more of them.

Med also has difficult transitions in her jumps while Kostner does lesser jumps with none.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Do all country judges overscore compeditors from their respective countries?

Yeah. Unfortunately we're pretty much back at the favoritism of the 6.0-point system but for some reason no one is calling people out the way they did before. :slink:

Looking at the protocolled video from a few pages back right now... Judge 9, the ITALIAN judge, gave Kostner +3 GOE on jumps with little bumbles at the end and nearly no transitions in?! Why am I shocked... :disapp:

:disapp: Very sad. Just waiting for people to start calling this out in real life, but unfortunately with all the money and politics involved it will be quite unlikely for some time.

lakeside

On the Ice
No, not all countries. The Japanese judge overscored American Nathan Chen, giving him 9.75 (!) on skating skills and 9.50 on transitions (where most other judges gave him 8.50).

moriel

Record Breaker

Basically.
At least last year, i did an analysis of a GP event, and there was not a single judge with skaters from same country competing that didnt score their own skaters above average. Also, MOST underscored the competition too.