2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far, I have only watched “my boys”.

Deniss:love::love: I’m not a huge fan of the Tosca, like the LP much better, but the presence and the spins and the steps shine through. Frankly, I don’t care if he ever gets a quad as long as he keeps what makes him special (but what other comment would you expect from a Jason fan;))

Misha: :love::love: hey, Misha is Misha. And he has essentially said on social media, to heck with the quads, I’m just gonna do what I do best. :) Which makes a wonderful viewing experience for us.

Grant: :sad21: Come back in the LP....

Maybe I’ll get to those “other” skaters before the long:biggrin:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I do agree that the costume needs to be changed but you know, if you can save some money, you might as well.

Edit to add: Maybe has to do with the gender of the coach. I remembered Shoma has at least 3 different costumes for Loco FS last year. Brian probably said: Yuzu you can use the costume from two seasons ago.

Yuzuru is one of the last skaters who should have to worry about saving money. If the programs are going to be recycled then the least they could do is freshen it up with a new look.

sydney

On the Ice
Also can I say Yuzu really needs a new sp costume! The program already feels been there done that and the same old outfit is not helping!
well....technically it's a NEW costume , I mean it's neither chopin 2.0 nor 1.0 it really looks like the same as 2.0 but well we can't say that he played with the originality for the 3.0 lol

evasorange

Final Flight
well....technically it's a NEW costume , I mean it's neither chopin 2.0 nor 1.0 it really looks like the same as 2.0 but well we can't say that he played with the originality for the 3.0 lol

Lol is it actually a new costume?! Did he just get a new copy of 2.0? Smh.... seeing him and Nathan compete so close really highlighted for me how bored and over Chopin I am. Yuzu is just as capable as Nathan as delivering fresh innovative programs...forever disappointed that he chose not too for Olympic season 💔

da96103

Record Breaker
Will Nathan Chen make multiple history tomorrow?

1. First man to land 5 different quads in FS?

2. First man to land 6 or 7 quads in FS?

3. First man to redo Evan Lysacek's Olympic program by replacing all non-axel triples into quads?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This whole PCS overscoring discussion is really getting old (at least imo). Obviously the ISU decided not to punish mistakes multiple times some time ago. And yes, a 10 in skating skills is probably too much when the skater had a fall. But I have no problem f.e. if Chan or Hanyu gets a 9.75 with a fall. And the reason why someone like Ge has a lower performance score than Kolyada is that the judges balance those PCS categories, skating skills seem to be the most important. Wether you agree with it or not, this is how it is. We'll have the same discussion after the ladies SP and again and again and again until we might get a new judging system next season and we'll find something we don't like about that judging system as well.

I'd probably have Ge in 4th and Kolyada in 5th after the SP but there's less than a point between them, so I think this result is ok.
But I have to write that I think that Hanyu is making a huge mistake in this Olympic season - doing that Seimei FS again is probably a very good idea, it's a great program and the crowd loves it. But doing the Chopin SP a third time is a bad idea ... watching it this time I wasn't interested in it at all ... it does feel old.
Chen is a delight, fresh and handsome, a real contender for all the medals this season.
Aliev hasn't touched me (yet). The costumes looks like the one Boitano wore at the Olympics, I'm not impressed but 3rd place after the SP is justified of course.

I agree with you concerning Chopin. It just left me cold today, and not only because of the obvious mistakes. And I think this is the problem with the threepeat. He decided to threepeat because he's feeling more confident in the program and wanted that security in the Olympic season. But if it doesn't work, it makes all those points obsolete and he cannot count on the 'benefit of doubt' 'Let's go crazy' had, for example. I don't expect record breaking scores everytime. But this isn't a new program, so the interpretation must be there. Idk, I hope he can skate a good LP. I like Seimei and look forward to it, but I really preferred his choices last season and it just seems a bit stale compared to the more bold choice by Nathan already.

Kinga

Medalist
There is only one program that I will go back to again and again: Nathan's. The rest feels same old same old: same music same mood same movements. Nathan's SP was fresh, innovative and unique in every department : music choice, choreography, expression.

Honestly, most of the music in figure skating I cannot stand anymore, it has been soooo overused. Seriously, is there any incentive to be innovative? Doesn't it feel blah to skate to a warhorse (unless you do something unique with that)? Don't people want to get creative anymore? :slink:

da96103

Record Breaker
Lol is it actually a new costume?! Did he just get a new copy of 2.0? Smh.... seeing him and Nathan compete so close really highlighted for me how bored and over Chopin I am. Yuzu is just as capable as Nathan as delivering fresh innovative programs...forever disappointed that he chose not too for Olympic season 💔

Have to agree with this, even though I am a Yuzu fan. Nathan looked more fresh and energetic despite some minor jump wobbles.

da96103

Record Breaker

Dye the white shirt into purple. (I hear a worldwide collective groan from GS members.)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
You have to wonder what Nathan could do to improve the technical difficulty of this SP even further. Does he have the foundations for a 3Lo combo?

sydney

On the Ice
Dye the white shirt into purple. (I hear a worldwide collective groan from GS members.)

well remember the 1.0 lol
Have to say that for me : Chopin purple-ish 1.0 >>>>>>>>>> 2.0 , and I prefer the 3.0 over the 2.0 too lol

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is only one program that I will go back to again and again: Nathan's. The rest feels same old same old: same music same mood same movements. Nathan's SP was fresh, innovative and unique in every department : music choice, choreography, expression.

Honestly, most of the music in figure skating I cannot stand anymore, it has been soooo overused. Seriously, is there any incentive to be innovative? Doesn't it feel blah to skate to a warhorse (unless you do something unique with that)? Don't people want to get creative anymore? :slink:

I have tried to be as objective as possible in reviewing the videos. I'm not a particular fan of Yuzu. I certainly appreciate his skill, but his style just does not suit my eye. And I do like Nathan. So take this with a grain of salt.

That said - after first seeing Nathan's program... which I view as young and fresh and relaxed...

Yuzu's Chopin seemed dated.

Maybe it's just personal preference. But Yuzu's program seemed time-worn, and not timeless.

I'm not sure third time is a charm with this variation of the program.

da96103

Record Breaker
You have to wonder what Nathan could do to improve the technical difficulty of this SP even further. Does he have the foundations for a 3Lo combo?

I think the SP is set. It is the LP that would need his attention in doing 6 or 7 quads.

The B.ESP guys did say Nathan's quad need a longer drawback at landing to improve his GOE for jumps. Yuzu gets consistently +2s and +3s for jumps, while Nathan usually gets +1s and +2s. I am not sure exactly what that means. I would assume a smoother flow out of the jumps, holding on to the exit position a bit longer.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Keep his levels up on spins and footwork, and improve his jump landings/flow.

I suppose there are a few flourishes he could add to improve GOE, but the program as is, when perfectly executed, will be damn hard to beat.

da96103

Record Breaker
Did anyone see Nathan quad lutz? The rotation was relatively slow and I thought he was doing a triple lutz. It looked so effortless.

padme21

On the Ice

I hate saying this but I have to agree with you I was not wowed by Chopin I was not bored but rather indifferent. I thought it was just an "ok" program I enjoyed Nathan's way more.

da96103

Record Breaker
I hate saying this but I have to agree with you I was not wowed by Chopin I was not bored but rather indifferent. I thought it was just an "ok" program I enjoyed Nathan's way more.

I think I kind of miss Let's Get Crazy from last season. That was exciting and energetic.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Props to Nathan's entire team for spending these last two years in developing Nathan for this season. I must say his packaging is a work of genius. From the music, to the skating, to his styling, It really sets up a narrative for the olympics - the old guard (literally characterized by the same costume and same program) versus something new, fresh, and young. It's top notch. What's scary about Nathan's programs this year is that his SP is my least favorite of his two programs this year. His LP (especially the footwork) is a work of art.

da96103

Record Breaker
Props to Nathan's entire team for spending these last two years in developing Nathan for this season. I must say his packaging is a work of genius. From the music, to the skating, to his styling, It really sets up a narrative for the olympics - the old guard (literally characterized by the same costume and same program) versus something new, fresh, and young. It's top notch. What's scary about Nathan's programs this year is that his SP is my least favorite of his two programs this year. His LP (especially the footwork) is a work of art.

Really? I thought the SP footwork was already great. The LP is even better?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Florent Amodio skated to the same music as Nathan a couple seasons ago and I don't remember anyone getting excited about it or calling it fresh. It was a nice program too.