2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS

rain

Record Breaker
Gutted for Patrick.

I say this as a huge Patrick fan — he needs to decide why he's still skating and if he truly wants to be. In the interviews and fluff pieces he talked about his change in strategy, but I don't get the sense he's really convinced that's what he needs to be in the hunt for the gold medal. Patrick has always been a competitive guy, so I have no doubt that's why he's stayed in the sport this long. So I think motivation is truly an issue right now.

Or maybe it was just a bad skate and I'm reading too much into it.

rain

Record Breaker
GS twitter reporting Chan is considering withdrawing from NHK.

I actually don't think this would be a bad idea for him. He has enough experience that he doesn't need to do another grand prix and after this skate he won't be making the final anyway. He obviously needs to seriously regroup. He's having major jump issues and needs to solve that problem, which will not be solved in a mere two weeks.

da96103

Record Breaker
I actually don't think this would be a bad idea for him. He has enough experience that he doesn't need to do another grand prix and after this skate he won't be making the final anyway. He obviously needs to seriously regroup. He's having major jump issues and needs to solve that problem, which will not be solved in a mere two weeks.

Yuna did not participate GPs for two seasons (including the Olympic year) and she still won silver, (which would have been gold if not for Russian cuisine).

da96103

Record Breaker
I'll dispute that, I don't think Patrick has the shortest break between GP events at all.

Jason will be at NHK and he was here. Brezina is also assigned NHK. Bychenko is doing NHK and France back to back and they're on different continents.

Bychenko has the shortest break.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just my eyes or has Jason gotten taller?

Just the Slutskaya-inspired bodysuit.

lavender

Record Breaker
Gutted for Patrick.

I say this as a huge Patrick fan — he needs to decide why he's still skating and if he truly wants to be. In the interviews and fluff pieces he talked about his change in strategy, but I don't get the sense he's really convinced that's what he needs to be in the hunt for the gold medal. Patrick has always been a competitive guy, so I have no doubt that's why he's stayed in the sport this long. So I think motivation is truly an issue right now.

Or maybe it was just a bad skate and I'm reading too much into it.

I feel the same way. I love Patrick's skating and for him I hope that he actually loves to skate cause the Olympics hardly ever turn out right but that's just my own opinion.

da96103

Record Breaker
Has Jun Hwan Cha become the Ashley Wagner of the men's event. He collected 5 carrots today and add on the four carrots yesterday, he gets a total of 9 carrots.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is it just my eyes or has Jason gotten taller?

No, but I think his body has become a little more proportional in the last few years. And in spite of the pants being eyesorish, they do suit his body type and make his legs look longer (although they're already fairly long).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan and Shoma landed the most clean quads, with 3 clean each. (4 total for Shoma, one was called UR).

Damn.

rain

Record Breaker
Yuna did not participate GPs for two seasons (including the Olympic year) and she still won silver, (which would have been gold if not for Russian cuisine).

Yes, and she's not the only one to skip the GP and come back strong for worlds/Olympics.

I think it would likely be more productive for Patrick to take this time, get his jumps back, get his head together, do Canadian Nationals and 4CC if he feels like it, then Olympics.

rain

Record Breaker
I feel the same way. I love Patrick's skating and for him I hope that he actually loves to skate cause the Olympics hardly ever turn out right but that's just my own opinion.

I assume Patrick loves to skate on some level, but with his jumps being AWOL it can't be a lot of fun right now.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Shoma UNO (JPN)
4T< fall

I'm glad you saw that as a fall too, since it wasn't called as one (no fall deduction). Was beginning to doubt my eyesight.

And I'm no Patrick fan, but it's really hard to see him this... deflated? I'm sure the Japanese audience would love to have him in NHK, but if something really is up, I hope he makes the decision that is best for himself and for what I'd think the main goal is - his appearance at the Olympics. For now, I'll keep my fingers crossed he recovers as fast as possible and makes the Japanese audience happy.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Toller would have loved Jason.

In the words of Mr Rice, Kaboom! :points:

Toller more than likely did know about Jason, but more importantly, my current :love: Jason is following my first :love: Toller in every skate glide, every spin, and every Russian split (in the words of Kurt Browning, Toller Cranston good).

And Jason gets silver .... :cheer: Although, even I will say, the pants:noshake:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Didn't realize that Patrick lost even to Nadeau in the Free Skate.

I'm a big fan of Nic, so I did notice right away that he had beat Chan in the free when the latter's score appeared on the screen. I was kind of shocked because I think the last time a Canadian man managed to place ahead of Patrick in the LP was Jeff Buttle at the 2008 Worlds.

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight

The difference is that during Yuna's time FS is not evolving as fast. Chan was off for one season but when he return he can't really catch-up

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jason Brown's performance was one of the few reasons to continue watching skating. Astonishing level of flow, choreography, and musicality. The footwork and spins all showcasing immaculate extension and nuance and form, used better to the music than probably any program I've seen this entire decade. This level of refinement is what I knew Jason could achieve, the pieces have all been there, but in the past there has sometimes been little areas in his choreography where the movement felt a little pasted onto the music or could be better conceived or more powerful. His basic skating skills are at their best ever too, he has pushed into Patrick Chan territory there. PHENOMENAL.

Even with two mistakes in terms of the jumps, his PCS here deserve to be the highest of ANY man that is competing today. Nobody else has this combination of artistry, form, and skating skill. NOBODY. If he skates the program perfectly, this should be getting 10's on most of the PCS. This is real skating. https://youtube.com/watch?v=NXuzFhjbCrg

lavender

Record Breaker
No, but I think his body has become a little more proportional in the last few years. And in spite of the pants being eyesorish, they do suit his body type and make his legs look longer (although they're already fairly long).

Thanks karne.