26Shira ICHILOV / Vadim DAVIDOVICHISR39.3426
27Malene NIQUITA-BASQUIN / Jamie GARCIAESP38.4927
28Elizaveta ORLOVA / Stephano Valentino SCHUSTERAUT38.1428
29Olexandra BORYSOVA / Cezary ZAWADZKI POL37.6829
30Wing Yi Valerie SO / Marcus YAUHKG35.3130
31Yana BOZHILOVA / Kaloyan GEORGIEVBUL34.2931

skatemd1

On the Ice
Did not predict that top 8 but will take it. The two things I did know were that Loboda/Drozd and the Parsons would go 1-2 and that Shpilevaya/Smirnov would be 4th.

I like the Russian dancers and they did well today...each got a SB if I'm not mistaken.

The one thing I've realized about L/D's SD is that it's got a crazy amount of changes of direction. It may not look as nice and smooth as the Parsons' SD but it's gotta be challenging to skate.

As for the FDs, the Parsons have one of the best of any team this season. But Pavel is really passionate about Spain and he's studying Spanish too, so that FD is special to him. I try to view it from his eyes.

I agree. Their FD is the best! and I thought the Parsons team outskated everyone in the SD too, much better positions, edges, speed, difficulty, etc. Should have been first IMHO. LD skated a strong program too, but not as good as those scores. FD should be fun to watch!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I agree. Their FD is the best! and I thought the Parsons team outskated everyone in the SD too, much better positions, edges, speed, difficulty, etc. Should have been first IMHO. LD skated a strong program too, but not as good as those scores. FD should be fun to watch!

I'm sorry I like the Parsons quite a lot but I can't rank their FD as the best. They skated very well today. According to the protocols it was Loboda/Drozd's twizzles that made the difference. And PCS. Those PCS for L/D came in part from the difficulty of the program. Well, I do think the Parsons will be ahead due to a strong FD but I am not counting L/D out.

Mirunna

Record Breaker

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's what happens when you win everything under the sun the season before and then don't move up and challenge yourselves which is what M/C should have done. P/B did the right thing and had nothing to lose and finished a solid 4th at Nationals and now have a big advantage on M/C for next season. The Parsons being even older were at a age where they probably should have been in Seniors by now too but they obviously wanted a chance at a National title and win Worlds and it's paid off for them this season.

matcha

Medalist
Thanks so much for the videos! Such a bummer about the coverage (and also time difference...).

Here's hoping the Parsons can leap frog over the Russians!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am a bit surprised to see the Russians and Canadians do so well. I thought the Americans would be first, granted it is almost a tie and M/C are close enough to get on the podium. I think the Parsons will still win but surprised they aren't leading or rather that the Russians are more than close. lol. Parsons were smoother versus the passion of the Russians - a familiar tale like Gordeeva and Grinkov versus M/D.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I am a bit surprised to see the Russians and Canadians do so well. I thought the Americans would be first, granted it is almost a tie and M/C are close enough to get on the podium. I think the Parsons will still win but surprised they aren't leading or rather that the Russians are more than close. lol. Parsons were smoother versus the passion of the Russians - a familiar tale like Gordeeva and Grinkov versus M/D.

I hope the FD competition is a lot more interesting, these skates, IMHO were sort of tight. I had expected C/P to put up more of a fight. They seemed uncomfortable out there.

I was also taken aback by Abachkina's diva like behaviour. Heck if she's walking off without her partner and this is only Juniors what's next, the Fusar Poli stare? :palmf::rofl: She needs to get off her high horse.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
M/C is punished for overstaying their welcome. But who knows, if they showed up like this in the senior rank this year, they would be buried there even further. Maybe they just can't keep up anymore.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
M/C is punished for overstaying their welcome. But who knows, if they showed up like this in the senior rank this year, they would be buried there even further. Maybe they just can't keep up anymore.

Oh please, they have cruddy programs this year. I think that's the real problem. Both of their programs simply don't work for them. I don't see any real deterioration in their skills. It's more than a little premature to write them off.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Oh please, they have cruddy programs this year. I think that's the real problem. Both of their programs simply don't work for them. I don't see any real deterioration in their skills. It's more than a little premature to write them off.

Bad programs only show up in PCS. Their problem this year is TES. They wouldn't be sitting in 7th after the SP if not for TES issue. They are fighting to be US #2 jr team this year. How many time have C/P placed over them in SP?

chameleon

On the Ice
Bad programs only show up in PCS. Their problem this year is TES. They wouldn't be sitting in 7th after the SP if not for TES issue. They are fighting to be US #2 jr team this year. How many time have C/P placed over them in SP?
Only this time. C/P beat M/C at Nationals on the strength of their FD(or the weaknesses of M/C's).

Regardless, I actually thought M/C's FD was really, really good at Nationals, potentially their best yet... And then Quinn fell. It was similar here, I'm not a huge fan of the SD but I was warming up to before it fell apart on the non touch.

I really don't know why they're making so many mistakes this season, but the judges punishing their PCS probably has more to do with that than their programs. They even got a PB at their first JGP before things started really going downhill.

Barb

Record Breaker

Judges are not punishing them for stay junior. Their no touching step seq was terrible. It was their mistake.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Judges are not punishing them for stay junior. Their no touching step seq was terrible. It was their mistake.

Their PCS are tanking. They are a few points behind the Parsons and the Russians throughout the season and they entered the season as world #1. I think it's ridiculous to stay in Junior when you won everything and has been in the Junior circuit for so long.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Why Bulgaria doesn't have good Ice Dance couple? When i started to watch figure skating Bulgarian couple was the best one in ice dance

IDK, maybe for similar reason why Poland does not have good solo lady since times of Anna Rechnio & somewhat good Sabina Wojtala? And no good pair since Dorota & Mariusz Siudek. Just not much resources, clubs and rinks / not enough skaters & good coaches. Btw. Albena Denkova has half-sister Ina Demireva who also competed for Bulgaria in Ice Dance but she was not successful internationally.

Siudeks were World Silver Medallists once and were winning Euro medals but nothing was done to use their success to promote discipline, and full year rinks are still hardly available. What a shame.

Last edited: