2017 World Ladies FS | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies FS

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Now Cow-mon Sowcow, how dare you say that Sam, has a double standard when it comes to Canadian women skating...but you did, in an all-Canadian, politically correct way, eh ;) . Me, not so nice!

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Gees whatif, have you been to church or confession today. You predicted both Kaetlyn and Gabby "to Bomb", in the LP, as per your posts. Looks like you are now a Believer. Welcome to the bandwagon and from the Dark side, as we always like to see new members.

Can I have a Hallelujah!
Is this a Leonard Cohen sarcastic Hallelujah (why do so many people not understand that about that song?) or a full on gospel choir Hallelujah?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Sorry if this goes a bit overboard Sam-Skwantch (especially as I believe your comments are usually quite fair and balanced), but you have to admit that Sackie's reaction is entirely appropriate and legitimate, especially given the (your) context at the time...

The Context ...your several posts on the performances of the top skaters posted just prior to your remarks above (NB. - see below for the actual posts in their entirety):

• (i) Ashley: mostly praise (although you admit it was a 'tight' and 'flawed' skate)
  • (ii) Karen: mostly praise (although you admit thankfully "[she's a] firecracker" and was thus able to keep you interested in a program that is otherwise "boring to no end");
  • (iii) Zhenia: all praise (and how she "slay[ed] everyone at worlds")
  • (iv) Gabby: some praise, some criticism ("I'm just a bit meh. I'm probably in the minority but I don't really like her jumps...." "That said...it's kind of fun to watch a wildish skater perform so well and get rewarded for it")
  • (v) Kaetlyn: some 'general' praise ("Kaetlyn has it all and the potential to really be great...Very well rounded skater").but only criticism of her performance[SUP]1[/SUP] and the judges scores ("For me though....that particular FS wasn't very well executed and she got a monster score anyway. Those judges always think they know more than I do.")

(i)

(ii)

(iii)

(iv)

(v)

Just sayin'...
[As I "Preview Post" prior to hitting "Submit Reply"]: :giveup:
Apologies if this comes off as a targeted attack (it wasn't meant as such). Rather, it was meant as more of a "...come on, admit it" type rebuff to your reply to Sackie.

This post is the post equivalent of <<<e in looks alone. It looks like a Rorschach test. I'm going to say it's a butterfly!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Is this a Leonard Cohen sarcastic Hallelujah (why do so many people not understand that about that song?) or a full on gospel choir Hallelujah?

Door number 2, as in finding their religion and new found inspiration, after predicting ...the apocalypse.

Last edited:

sowcow

On the Ice
^^ Now Cow-mon Sowcow, how dare you say that Sam, has a double standard when it comes to Canadian women skating...but you did, in an all-Canadian, politically correct way, eh ;) . Me, not so nice!

LOL ...indeed! As I read it over, it does come across as a very 'Canadian-style' attack post.
The only thing missing is a apology — "Sorry" — to start it off; and a sprinkling of "eh"'s throughout! :rock:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I did make it through the whole ordeal including the K/C. I just don't understand her reaction to be honest. Yeah, it was a really off night. There will be more I'm sure. Why act like you just found out your parents died in a plane crash? Toughen up, girl!!! I was worried that they might have to carry her out in a straight jacket! Seriously, it's just ice skating....
She experienced a devastating disappointment after a year of triumphs and she behaved as if she was experiencing a devastating disappointment. That's honest and that's normal. Figure Skating is her life right now, and I can't imagine how badly she felt. I was crying just watching it. Caring enough to express a true emotion is not a sign of weakness, in my opinion, but actually a sign of strength. But to me this world is upside down anyway. Just my two cents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I could have cried at the end of Anna Pogo's routine. (I didn't)

After that, my heart just wasn't in it. I did watch on, but my mind was elsewhere. I was actually thinking about how to word a couple of the Fan Fest edits that I am preparing!

Even Kaetlyn coming second couldn't make up for it. (Under normal circumstances, I would have been ecstactic, because I just love her!)

I really hope that this week was just a blip for Anna, and that we are not returning to the bad old days of a couple of seasons ago.

Here's to a bigger and better 2017-18 season for her!

CaroLiza_fan
Hoping the same, and had the same experience except I was sobbing. Although watching Medvedeva deliver yet again was a huge emotional buoy. But the Ladies competition as a whole was so sad for me. I was very happy for Osmond and Daleman, and was happy to see Kuchvalska rally somewhat after a nightmare season, but Ivett Tóth in the SP and Mai Mihara in the FS were the only real moments of joy for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sorry if this goes a bit overboard Sam-Skwantch (especially as I believe your comments are usually quite fair and balanced), but you have to admit that Sackie's reaction is entirely appropriate and legitimate, especially given the (your) context at the time...

The Context ...your several posts on the performances of the top skaters posted just prior to your remarks above (NB. - see below for the actual posts in their entirety):

• (i) Ashley: mostly praise (although you admit it was a 'tight' and 'flawed' skate)
  • (ii) Karen: mostly praise (although you admit thankfully "[she's a] firecracker" and was thus able to keep you interested in a program that is otherwise "boring to no end");
  • (iii) Zhenia: all praise (and how she "slay[ed] everyone at worlds")
  • (iv) Gabby: some praise, some criticism ("I'm just a bit meh. I'm probably in the minority but I don't really like her jumps...." "That said...it's kind of fun to watch a wildish skater perform so well and get rewarded for it")
  • (v) Kaetlyn: some 'general' praise ("Kaetlyn has it all and the potential to really be great...Very well rounded skater").but only criticism of her performance[SUP]1[/SUP] and the judges scores ("For me though....that particular FS wasn't very well executed and she got a monster score anyway. Those judges always think they know more than I do.")

What was the point of this post?

Gabby's skating is boring. Nobody is obliged to praise her equally to other skaters who have much superior skating quality, positions, performance quality, and overall artistry. The same goes for Kaetlyn. Her LP is uninspiring and forgettable. There's a reason why people aren't enthused by it and that reason isn't because of some kind of blanket anti-Canadian sentiment. It's because other skaters are far more captivating. Karen Chen has much better extensions and expressions than either of them, Ashley is more into her music and trying to create a moment than either of them.

People being more engaged by the performances of the American ladies as compared to the Canadians should come as no surprise. It has nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with entertainment value.

This isn't a little kids music recital, it's a top professional competition.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Envy, is the green eyed monster! :disapp: I would expect nothing more from BoP, as his youthful rants continue. Tough to have a conversation with someone with skating myopia. The results speak for themselves. Judges got it right!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG...so much drama. I don't care about nationalities and I simply posted my on the spot reactions to what I was watching. Lol.

I remember when my favorite skater got a monster score in Sochi and I was one of the first who said the judges are getting carried away. I'm surprised if anyone even cares anyway. It's just for fun right?

BTW: My praise for Alaine and her programs has been rock solid. Her UR's on the other hand :handw:

Sowcow: You're awesome. Don't ever change :bow:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sam, I personally would NEVER COUNT OUT EM for gold unless she was ill or injured, no matter how good the Canadian ladies are. In fact, why is it that I have this feeling that EM has lots "in the tank" that she could pull out if she and her coaches felt she needed more tricks...?

In my sport of aircraft racing, its the second place plane that sets the pace of the race...the first place plane only goes fast enough to win...and not break.
In our example of EM vs the Canadian ladies, I just have this feeling that at this stage of the game, if you told me EM could do a 3A-4F but doesnt need it to win, I would believe you. She is amazing....

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
People being more engaged by the performances of the American ladies as compared to the Canadians should come as no surprise. It has nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with entertainment value.

This isn't a little kids music recital, it's a top professional competition.

You clearly watched a different competition than I did. Gabby & Kaet looked plenty professional competitors to me.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You clearly watched a different competition than I did. Gabby & Kaet looked plenty professional competitors to me.

No gripes about the placements. I think the judges got it right.

I like Gabby, but I think she lacked the polish of Osmond.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Question - Does Pogorilaya's epic meltdowns have to do with technique issues or mental issues? I know Gracie Gold's meltdowns are due to nerves, but I can't tell with Pogorilaya because her technique is a bit wild.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Question - Does Pogorilaya's epic meltdowns have to do with technique issues or mental issues? I know Gracie Gold's meltdowns are due to nerves, but I can't tell with Pogorilaya because her technique is a bit wild.

If you look at Pogo's entrance into her lutz, flip, loop, and axel jump, you know technique is never there.
She's also very inconsistent and very capable of epic melt down. Even before this World, when you type in her name on google search, the first suggestion is Pogorilaya falls. You know, when google believes you have a problem, you do have a problem. She's a fighter, but those techniques need to be clean up. First, start with the lutz, do it right. Then fix the edge on the flip, then fix the weird loop entrance, then the axel. They over-rewarded her jumps like they do to many other girls, and no incentive for her to fix anything.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it's nerves and the will to pack everything into her programs even when an error happens. After the error on her first combo I think she clearly thought about plan B. Many of the errors happened because of plan B. She did change her 3Lz-1L-3S to 3Lz-3T and wanted to do 3L-1L-3S later. Well, that didn't work so she even did 2A-1L-3S because she's such a fighter. But this plan B has worked at Europeans, but she was in better shape at Europeans. I think the problem for all Russian skaters is that they have to be in their best shape at Nationals and it's very difficult to sustain that during the long season they have. I think it's very hard to handle that immense level of pressure those girls have again and again.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think it's nerves and the will to pack everything into her programs even when an error happens. After the error on her first combo I think she clearly thought about plan B. Many of the errors happened because of plan B. She did change her 3Lz-1L-3S to 3Lz-3T and wanted to do 3L-1L-3S later. Well, that didn't work so she even did 2A-1L-3S because she's such a fighter. But this plan B has worked at Europeans, but she was in better shape at Europeans. I think the problem for all Russian skaters is that they have to be in their best shape at Nationals and it's very difficult to sustain that during the long season they have. I think it's very hard to handle that immense level of pressure those girls have again and again.

I think that at Europeans, it was a different situation. She was second after the short, which gave her more confidence. And during the actual skate, she didn't do the combination but a solo jump at the beginning. It is easier to come back from this. Completely missing the triple-triple, there was no coming back. Even Plan-B wouldn't have been enough and she knew.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think that at Europeans, it was a different situation. She was second after the short, which gave her more confidence. And during the actual skate, she didn't do the combination but a solo jump at the beginning. It is easier to come back from this. Completely missing the triple-triple, there was no coming back. Even Plan-B wouldn't have been enough and she knew.
It could have been enough for a medal. Daleman and Osmond didn't skate yet and with a skate comparable to Europeans she would have finished in 4th position. But I agree, the situation was different and she might need further psychological training to be able to handle those kind of situations better. She wanted too much imo. But that will also saved her the silver medal at Europeans ...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It could have been enough for a medal. Daleman and Osmond didn't skate yet and with a skate comparable to Europeans she would have finished in 4th position. But I agree, the situation was different and she might need further psychological training to be able to handle those kind of situations better. She wanted too much imo. But that will also saved her the silver medal at Europeans ...

When she repeated the combination at a later point at Europeans, you could see how much she was fighting for it. It's so hard to do in the later half, that's why almost no one does it. It seems that only a select few Tuberidze skaters have the strength to do it. I don't skate myself, but it is perhaps because the more sporty types like Anna, Gabrielle and Kaetlyn have higher and more powerful jumps? It's harder for them then say Evgenia and Satoko because their jumps don't take the oomph out of them like that. You hardly see Evgenia out of breath. Same as falling, when Anna falls it's hard to come back because it takes her breath away physically.