2018-19 Junior Grand Prix Final Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Junior Grand Prix Final Free Dance

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
LMAO sounds like my kitty! Every time my mother or I said we loved him, the other would reply, “... for no discernible reason.” He did not like being cuddled that much. [emoji23] But he was fun! He definitely had A+ “tango-all-up-in-where-you-be-walking” skills. And if you used a can opener, he came running expecting free tuna. (He also figured out how to work doorknobs but was held back by lack of opposable thumbs.) tl;dr cats are great.

I think he could have been in a Grand Prix of that kind of tango with my cats... Good thing I have anti-fall reflexes from decades of skating, or I'd have been on the floor so many times. :laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Maria KAZAKOVA / Georgy REVIYA
Music: Carmina Burana by Carl Orff performed by Edvin Marton; "Vocalise" (Main Theme from "The Ninth Gates")
Choreography by: Nikolai Nikonov, Igor Alferov
Costumes: Blue ombre Juliet dress for her. Black pants, black shirt with matching blue cutouts for him (I like the shirt--it's theatrical and tasteful)

Program Layout:

Dance spin with fantastic speed and no break between positions. Level 4, .75 goe
SL lift with cartwheel entry (he wobbled a bit) --> Rotational Lift Quite the demanding combo lift. Level 4 for both. 1.62goe
Twizzles with vertical hop entry. The vertical hop is really striking and difficult. Level 4 for both 1.16goe
Choreo Spinning Move - 1.38g
Tempo change
Diag Step Seq with twizzle exit out. Level 2, 1,62 goe
NT Step Seq - Level Level 2 for her, 3 for him. 1.62 goe
Tempo change with Eurodisco beat. OH UGHHHHHHHHHH. But they hit those spins right on the beat.
Choreo lift - lifts her over his head. Is that allowed? It's a great lift but... 2.21 goe

This is what I wrote during the JGP regular season for these two:
It's not at all a balanced program. The first section is all FRANTIC FRANTIC FRANTIC. The middle is SLUGGISH SLUGGISH SLUGGISH. The end is back to Frantic City. It is all so UBER TRAUMA DRAMA INTENSE with music that screams I'VE BEEN USED IN EVERY MEDIEVAL MOVIE SOUNDTRACK SINCE THE INVENTION OF CELLULOID! I found it more than a bit OTT and off-putting. Definitely a Picasso Effect program. I can admire the tech--and I do admire it very much--but I wouldn't want to watch it again. Really, next season I'd love to see them do something totally light and frivilously frothy. Life isn't always a Bergman film.

Your mileage may vary. And hey, de gustibus...

This time? Cautious. And SLOWWWWWWWWW. That was a "let's not make mistakes" performance.

Score: 91.25

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
LMAO sounds like my kitty! Every time my mother or I said we loved him, the other would reply, “... for no discernible reason.” He did not like being cuddled that much. [emoji23] But he was fun! He definitely had A+ “tango-all-up-in-where-you-be-walking” skills. And if you used a can opener, he came running expecting free tuna. (He also figured out how to work doorknobs but was held back by lack of opposable thumbs.) tl;dr cats are great.

Cats are great :agree: he sounds fantastic :) mine has the fairly unique achievement of being the human equivalent of 68kg overweight (he's 8kg, cat's should be 4kg :shocked:) we tried to cut down his food but the problem is just that he literally cannot be bothered to move :think:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Wow, I admit I was not very impressed with Maria and Georgy in the RD, but they were wonderful this time! I guess this kind of program suits them better. I loved when she swished her leg over his head at the end of the first spin.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I like this routine. It feels age appropriate.. as if they might have chosen this music themselves.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Maria KAZAKOVA / Georgy REVIYA
Music: Carmina Burana by Carl Orff performed by Edvin Marton; "Vocalise" (Main Theme from "The Ninth Gates")
Choreography by: Nikolai Nikonov, Igor Alferov
Costumes: Blue ombre Juliet dress for her. Black pants, black shirt with matching blue cutouts for him (I like the shirt--it's theatrical and tasteful)

Program Layout:

Dance spin with fantastic speed and no break between positions. Level 4, .75 goe
SL lift with cartwheel entry (he wobbled a bit) --> Rotational Lift Quite the demanding combo lift. Level 4 for both. 1.62goe
Twizzles with vertical hop entry. The vertical hop is really striking and difficult. Level 4 for both 1.16goe
Choreo Spinning Move - 1.38g
Tempo change
Diag Step Seq with twizzle exit out. Level 2, 1,62 goe
NT Step Seq - Level Level 2 for her, 3 for him. 1.62 goe
Tempo change with Eurodisco beat. OH UGHHHHHHHHHH. But they hit those spins right on the beat.
Choreo lift - lifts her over his head. Is that allowed? It's a great lift but... 2.21 goe

This is what I wrote during the JGP regular season for these two:
It's not at all a balanced program. The first section is all FRANTIC FRANTIC FRANTIC. The middle is SLUGGISH SLUGGISH SLUGGISH. The end is back to Frantic City. It is all so UBER TRAUMA DRAMA INTENSE with music that screams I'VE BEEN USED IN EVERY MEDIEVAL MOVIE SOUNDTRACK SINCE THE INVENTION OF CELLULOID! I found it more than a bit OTT and off-putting. Definitely a Picasso Effect program. I can admire the tech--and I do admire it very much--but I wouldn't want to watch it again. Really, next season I'd love to see them do something totally light and frivilously frothy. Life isn't always a Bergman film.

Your mileage may vary. And hey, de gustibus...

This time? Cautious. And SLOWWWWWWWWW. That was a "let's not make mistakes" performance.

Score: 91.25
:hap36: Weakankles with very detailed pbp! :thank:

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh wow that lift just before the music change was so pretty!

Avonley also has a gorgeous dress.

Uhoh that first twizzle was a bit messy but they got in time for the other two!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Cats are great :agree: he sounds fantastic :) mine has the fairly unique achievement of being the human equivalent of 68kg overweight (he's 8kg, cat's should be 4kg :shocked:) we tried to cut down his food but the problem is just that he literally cannot be bothered to move :think:

you actually can't really diet a cat. It is bad for their kidneys which is a cats weakest organ. The only solution is to force them to move. Try dragging a feather on a string around.. they normally can't resist it.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I think N/K can be future stars but it seems this FD has lost a bit of the magic that we saw from their 2nd JGP.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I think next year might be the year for Avonley and Vadym - not that they weren't great here but they weren't as great as usual

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Okay Avonley and Vadym were mess in both programs, but I would hardcore vote a Nguyen/Kolesnick 2020 presidential ticket. I believe Avonley can save America solely on the basis of her star power.

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
you actually can't really diet a cat. It is bad for their kidneys which is a cats weakest organ. The only solution is to force them to move. Try dragging a feather on a string around.. they normally can't resist it.

Yup, we learnt that! He's fed as he should be, but he ignored the feather toy I bought for him :sad21: he follows me to my room at the top of the house...so at least climbing the stairs is some exercise :laugh:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Avonley and Vadym are absolutely mesmerizing and get more so with each competition they get under their belts. I usually peek at the GOEs throughout programs, but I can't take my eyes off them for a second. I had chills throughout the whole thing and tears in my eyes by the end.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK
Music: "Demons" by Imagine Dragons, cover by Jasmine Thompson and Boyce Ave; "Experience" by Ludovico Einaudi
Choreography by: Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo
Costumes: Lovely purple dress for her; basic black for him

Program Layout:

NT St Seq - emotional and in sync. Level 3 for her, 2 for him; 1.82goe
Curve Lift - LOVE how they move deliberately from position to position. Level 4, .90goe. A bit low.
Dance Spin - Level 4, huge speed and lovley layback. Level 4, 1.28goe
Cir St Seq - Level 2, 2.21 goe
Rotational Lift - Level 4 with a lovely drop position at the end. Gorgeous. Level 4, 1.21 goe
Twizzles - Nice steps in between sets. But big bobble from her and lost sync. Level 2 for her, 4 for him; no goe posted
Choreo Char Step Seq - 1.87 goe

A bit of a nervous performance. The tech was a bit off their best. But emotionally lovely.
They are so musical and so well matched and so emotionally mature for juniors it's all a bit scary. Yes Igor smile smile smile. You have gold there.

Score: 94.74

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Avonley is gorgeous, and the Curve Lift was :points:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker

Oh no. :( I went abroad for a year to teach, came back, and my cats had gained at least five pounds... one was too big to clean himself! I just shrieked at my mother: “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?” [emoji23] I fed mine dry food, and we were told to change to a 1/2 cup twice per day (mine tended to leave food in the bowl). And they were both lazybeasts. One of them was a jerk, the other was nicknamed “rumblekitty,” as all he wanted to do was get on your chest and purr. And purr. And purr even more.

I think he could have been in a Grand Prix of that kind of tango with my cats... Good thing I have anti-fall reflexes from decades of skating, or I'd have been on the floor so many times. :laugh:

Metis and Boris, skating their programme of “Girl Fainting While Simultaneously Tripping Over Her Cat. The Ted commentary would be FANTASTIC.

... also, I’m sorry, but I’m just not into the American team. There’s just not enough charisma and flair.