2018 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 67 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Ladies SP

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nobody has a vendetta against her. She seems like a nice girl. It's just that people are frustrated with the blatant overscoring. You think she'd be getting those scores if she represented, say, Bulgaria? The answer is no. That's why people complain.
She's a great skater, but not a very good artist. Her technique is pretty sloppy, her moves lack refinement. I could name a couple 13-15 year old Russians who move more gracefully and have better control of their body while skating. Her PCS is laughable, especially when you watch her back to back with Carolina. There's just no comparison. And yet she gets the same PCS.
Evgenia could very well still be a successful competitor without the score inflation. It's the unnecessary overscoring that irks people.

What changed is that 15-year-old stars of Olympics are what sells. Even people who don't follow skating remember Julia or Tara. I really hope they don't do that to Alina, but I can't help but think that if she wins the Games, she's gonna disappear pretty quickly as well.

Russian fed probably also started noticing that Evgenia is not much without her jumps. Sloppy technique, questionable artistry etc. Alina has a bigger potential. She's pretty immature in her presentation, but not everyone can be Anastasiia Gubanova. I think with time she can become much better in this regard. And I don't think Evgenia can.

ITA that Carolina deserves much higher PCS than both Russians. Zhenya's PCS is a disagrace to the sport, really.

The second half bonus is BS. It was introduced to discourage skaters from putting all their jumps at the beginning. How is putting them all at the end any different? It's still an unbalanced composition.

Fine lets be fair then we should hate or be tired of the overscoring of Carolina, P/C, Fernadez as well as the Russians then.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Guess traveling gets a good grade of execution on a spin.... the scoring of that event was atrocious I really loved British Eurosport calling it out. I'm sorry I believe it should be old school it's the performance you give not who you are that determines your marks

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Does anybody who understands Norwegian know what Anne-Line and her coach were saying when she got off the ice?

https://youtu.be/NLvwF3LNrgc

I speak some Swedish. Couldn't hear it very clearly but Anne-Line seemed to say that [something happened] and after that [can't understand what] happened, and the coach said that it doesn't matter and her skate was very good. Could be wrong though, they speak too fast :D

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I speak some Swedish. Couldn't hear it very clearly but Anne-Line seemed to say that [something happened] and after that [can't understand what] happened, and the coach said that it doesn't matter and her skate was very good. Could be wrong though, they speak too fast :D
Thanks [emoji847]

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
In between her very fine elements, there really isn't that much difficulty showcased or skated. She isn't moving fast, she is very much on 2 feet, she lets her hands and face do most of the movement at times. It's very pretty, artistic choreography, and I enjoy it very much, but Zagi is leagues ahead because of the technical difficulty, the perfection of execution and the disturbing beauty of the performance.

I can't wait for tomorrow!!:yahoo:

I very much agree with you, as well. [emoji869]

Давай давай!!!

Aino

Rinkside
Med's themes are damn weird. Kostner's program on the contrary is about a breakup, which is very down-to-earth, and her interpretation is just perfect. To me there's no comparison.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Just for fun, my scoring in the SP would be. I know others will disagree but just thought I'd post for fun.

1 - Carolina Kostner - 77.25
2 - Alina Zagitova - 74.92 (-2.33)
3 - Evgenia Medvedeva - 73.63 (-3.62)
4 - Maria Sotskova - 65.35 (-11.90)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Just for fun, my scoring in the SP would be. I know others will disagree but just thought I'd post for fun.

1.28 +GOE for layback spin that travelled from Moscow to Pyeong Chang of Medvedeva was outrageous! But one should not expect fairness anymore from ISU, especially if competition takes place in Russia. :palmf:

Excellent shade by BESP commentators here. Finally someone wakes up and calls out this shady judging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl8hUplzNbI

treeloving

Medalist
I've never ever wrote about Kostner on this forum, but it's time for a short statement aka moment of truth.

Carolina may be the most overrated skater ever. For me, personally, the only elements she performs, that give me any aesthetical pleasure are her spins. Most of the rest is just good/average, sometimes even mediocre. :confused2:

ps. Thanks god, there are no "thumb down" buttons... ;)

:disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree:

At very least technically she has real filp and luzt.......

qwertyskates

Medalist

To say that Kostner should win based on graceful skating and easier programs means Patrick should beat Nathan, Yuzu, Shoma, etc. because his SS, grace, elegance are certainly stronger than all those guys! It can happen if we minus a few marks here, add a few marks there from their SP and LP. :biggrin:

rhubarb

Rinkside
1.28 +GOE for layback spin that travelled from Moscow to Pyeong Chang of Medvedeva was outrageous! But one should not expect fairness anymore from ISU, especially if competition takes place in Russia. :palmf:

Excellent shade by BESP commentators here. Finally someone wakes up and calls out this shady judging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl8hUplzNbI

Yay! It's nice to see someone who watches Koola's vids[emoji1360]

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In terms of Alina moving to the music in her SP, I disagree with you--so we probably won't find common ground.

What her performance exudes to me is incredible tenacity and intensity. It is a full bodied performance, like a virtuoso ballet solo. The journey to me is her accomplishing the technical elements themselves, which in fact resonates greatly with the cultural reference to Black Swan and the insane, deadly drive for artistic perfection. The fervor with which she attacks the elements is the starting point from which the "performance" is built.

This is an excellent point. Well, I think that's a story interpretation, which is related to and also slightly different from musical expression, in my view. At any rate, it's partly the jam packed elements and partly that for me, she's not really taking in and making her own the relationship of the movements to her performance of them.

And btw, we can disagree on things, but I can probably always, or nearly always, find common ground with you. :)

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Zagitova's performance yesterday was extraordinarily striking, in my opinion. My husband ("average viewer") thought it was riveting as well. In his words: "Her swan is very strong." I really wonder what you mean by "expression"? [emoji848] Facial expression?
Facial expression of course is part of it. I can't imagine how somebody who skates around with a blank face the whole time could be conceived as having strong performance skills. But performance is storytelling more generally, and you can tell a story with your arms and legs and chest as well as your face. Storytelling is emotional range and saying something even in quiet moments. I don't see any storytelling or performance in Zagitova's skating, just a lot of awkward kicking and arm-waiving in various directions.

She's certainly not the only skater with this problem.