2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I was surprised too after seeing she got at least a level 2 spin at the beginning. But the GOE she got were HUGE. I thought Karoi's jumps should receive the same level of GOE if not more, but judges thought differently..

She easily can win bronze still people don't panic. But yes she has be dumped? bumped? passed by Rika. Satoko though is the solid lady in Japan. Last year Kaori looked to be the shooting star. The Wakababy but Satoko was there. After some stutter starts the judges have announced their love of Rika - look at her pcs they rose faster than anything.

I would feel most sorry for Liza. She probably won't medal after fighting so hard to get back. But these ladies are fierce. Good for Alina for not totally giving up. But I am surprised Rika got such amazing pcs and even tes - because didn't she miss a level or two on spins?

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Rika’s skating is effortless. Alina’s often looks forced. I find the Japanese ladies overall much more enjoyable to watch than the Russian ladies.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Rika’s skating is effortless. Alina’s often looks forced. I find the Japanese ladies overall much more enjoyable to watch than the Russian ladies.

I think Japanese skaters (both men and women) have much better basic gliding than most other federations.

frida80

Record Breaker
But shouldn't PCS also be judged on the day? I don't know if I believe Satoko should always have the highest PCS if her performance was below her usual standard.

:rofl:

You’re funny. PCS isn’t about things like skating skills or performance. It’s about who’s been winning! The more you win, the bigger it will be!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Here's the question: if Rika manages to win everything with at least 2 clean 3A in each competition, would ISU change the rules to limit the number of different jumps like they did with backloading? I think from ISU's point of view, if one skater becomes untouchable if is not really good for the sports, right?

s_parks

Record Breaker
Too true. Although the Junior skaters seem able to deal with it better...

He seems like a nice chap and I guess the choreo gets the marks, I just prefer a different kind of skating!

Because they're smaller and younger, quite frankly.

neusw

On the Ice
Here's the question: if Rika manages to win everything with at least 2 clean 3A in each competition, would ISU change the rules to limit the number of different jumps like they did with backloading? I think from ISU's point of view, if one skater becomes untouchable if is not really good for the sports, right?

?? Everyone's allowed to repeat their hardest jumps, and she will not be winning everything in sight by next year, so this is entirely a moot point.

oly2018

Final Flight
While I generally prefer to watch the Japanese ladies, I do think they have a similar program/packaging issue with the Russians. Other than Satoko, the packaging lacks maturity and the music choices are usually pretty bland. I wish they would harness some of Kaori's power and giver her a great program.

melgirl25

Medalist
Alina PCS 35.83 - Maybe her PCS didn't get its usual boost because she is actually skating now (for first time this season) against really good competitive skaters so the judges can compare her to skaters like Satoko? Still it is the highest out of all the ladies!

Rika PCS 35.15 - clean skate, beautiful skills and program. I think this is reasonable.

Satoko 34.94 - She got a level 3 in her step sequence and jump issues. Had she skated clean I think it would have been the highest PCS.

Basically I think these scores are reasonable.

Good night!

kayley

On the Ice
Most underrated comment I've read in a while.

It's not even about reputation as initially thought, it's actually about "who's trending this season"... wait a minute, is PCS actually a social media/hype rating? :think::unsure:

PCS is the new Klout?

Danny T

Medalist
Is it me or did the judges go a little crazy with Rika's GOEs? :laugh:

Rika's GOEs have always been very good though. That's why even though she's been flopping the opening 3A in the SP since the very beginning of the season her SPs all scored 69-ish.

Well-deserved, I would say.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I didn't even know that the SP was yesterday, i thought it was today. So what was my suprise when i saw a post on my facebook saying that Rika is leading.....with 82 points!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alina 2nd with 77 points. Surprising but not so surprising. She surely got an UR call on the loop.
Satoko last!!!!!! She surely did mistakes, i can't imagine that she got three UR calls.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
By the way, i can't find the "favorite Kiss & Cry reactions/moments" thread... can someone direct me to it?
I want to post Rika's and Coach Tamura's reaction :laugh:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I didn't even know that the SP was yesterday, i thought it was today. So what was my suprise when i saw a post on my facebook saying that Rika is leading.....with 82 points!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alina 2nd with 77 points. Surprising but not so surprising. She surely got an UR call on the loop.
Satoko last!!!!!! She surely did mistakes, i can't imagine that she got three UR calls.

It was today. It literally happened an hour ago :laugh2:

ETA: I know what you mean... "yesterday" as in yesterday in Canada :laugh:

firal

Record Breaker
Ok, just posting some fresh and random thoughts/views straight from the arena (not the greatest seats):

- Rika, yes the 3A was a beauty, but so was the rest of the program. The crowd truly responded to her.
- I know many have problems with Kaori's music, but I think it works better in person. It felt cohesive; It's a stark contrast to the disjointed program offered by the POTO and Liza's posing game. It feels like audience is trying hard to get into those programs but couldn't really quite understand it.
- Alina's dress was truly gorgeous; I think I read here that Satoko's dress looked cheap, but in person it looked very elegant and goes well with her accessories and make up.
- You can tell the crowd was trying to calm down after Rika's score and shift focus over to Satoko and just give her the same amount of cheer. I am sad that she didn't perform her best.

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
Am I the only one who thinks that this thread is... well... quite rude?
And may be not even "quite".
Same here! I am disappointed of all this amount of hate people are choosing to spread here, but well, it's their choice [emoji4]

I am very proud of Alina today! She did the best that she was able to do, given the circumstances (tiredness / cold), she fought like the true champion that she is. Her GOE's were quite low, I expected more especially on her spins, they are truly incredible!

Other than that I agree with the scores that everyone else received, it was a stellar SP and I hope this amazing battle between Alina and Rika will continue for many competitions to come because it is so entertaining! Good luck everyone in the FS!

LadyB

Record Breaker
When I first saw Liza's score, I thought this is never enough to podium here. Right now, it doesn't look too bad. :cheer2:

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hello all, I was at the arena today! I am very proud and happy to note my darling Rika got the crowd's (only) standing ovation of the night lol... we were all pretty tired by then. Also, 82+ wow!!!!!! I haven't looked at protocols and all yet, but I thought Kaori should have been above Liza, no?? She skated REALLY well to my awful last-row seat eyes. Also, there was a dude who hauled *** to bring over a giant teddy bear to Alina post-skate, wonder if the cameras picked him up going down the stairs :laugh: Wishing the ladies good luck for Saturday!