2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
In the press conference a reporter compared Alina's success last season to what Rika is experiencing this season. He then asked how Alina takes on a challenger like Rika. I was surprised at such a bold question! :eek: Alina said she preferred to not answer. Then she was asked about hearing Rika's score come up. This was a really uncomfortable press conference, especially for not even being 10 min long! :eeking:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

I second this... What else can we say? It was a mix of unfortunate things happening at once I feel: going after Rika's fabulous and hugely scored performance, having arguably the smallest/least impressive jumps from all 6 ladies from the size standpoint, looking quite tense, having the most to lose in terms of scoring if not solid technically... It pains me to see her broken and sad like that, but I trust that this will motivate her to work and improve.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
When I first saw Liza's score, I thought this is never enough to podium here. Right now, it doesn't look too bad. :cheer2:

To be honest, all 4 sitting on 3 to 6 have chance to end on podium, some more, some less, but I feel that all are in the mix.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh yes and I finally see what people comment about regarding Liza's speed... I wouldn't say she's "slow" since she clearly doesn't struggle on the ice, but her speed is very languid compared to the others lol. And yes.... there is a lot of blank space there. But she is a fun performer :yahoo:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Most underrated comment I've read in a while.

It's not even about reputation as initially thought, it's actually about "who's trending this season"... wait a minute, is PCS actually a social media/hype rating? :think::unsure:

Maybe a bit of OT, but I feel the same regarding GOE in ice dance this season, looking at FD in particular, appearing more like 'slotting' specific teams based on certain criteria in 0-1/2-3 or 4-5 GOE range than really evaluating element quality. Appropriation of scoring system rather than appreciating what is happening.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Maybe a bit of OT, but I feel the same regarding GOE in ice dance this season, looking at FD in particular, appearing more like 'slotting' specific teams based on certain criteria in 0-1/2-3 or 4-5 GOE range than really evaluating element quality. Appropriation of scoring system rather than appreciating what is happening.

The rule changes have been a disaster of Titanic proportions.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
A true hero of our times.

Seriously though...is he from Vancouver, otherwise he must have maxed out his baggage limit on the flight! Speaking of...I wonder if Alina will be able to get it home, I hope so!

I worry about the logistics of gifts like this sometimes; doesn't Alina live in a small place with her grandma? That plush would take up more room in her bedroom than she does, lol. Maybe she'll donate it?

Ziotic

Medalist
Alina's combo was underrotated.

Lucky for her it didn’t get called here, otherwise she’s be even further behind Rika.

I wonder if she will take it out soon? She’s been UR that loop all season and getting calls more often than not. Part of me think she’s won’t out of pride since it’s what won her OGM.

She also looked shaky on everything. I wonder if it’s nerves or growing?

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Finally watched Sofia Samodurova and did a quick recap of the ladies, some (probably useless) thoughts:
- I agree with the standings except I'd change Sakamoto Kaori to be above Liza T.
- Sofia Samodurova was nice and clean (although I'd like her to not do the unshapely bent-arm tanos) and was charming, but it wasn't wow-inducing.
- I do get why some say Kihira Rika's SP seems juniorish (soft music, white costume, gentle choreo, etc) but I don't agree that her skating is juniorish, although she is not at Miyahara Satoko level she is well-rounded and polished enough.
- Alina Zagitova did seem tired, I first thought it was nerves that made her face look somewhat stiff but upon a second viewing it seemed more like fatigue. Does she really have a cold?
- I don't really get the hate for Sakamoto Kaori's SP music. It would be better to just use Gymnopedie No.1, but I don't find it snooze-worthy or atrocious. But then, I'm the person who is 100% fine with Cinema Paradiso or Love Story, so :slink:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think Sofia's free is definitely her stronger program. Not that the short is bad but it doesn't really stand apart. Good to see her scores creeping up, though. That 68 will soon be a 70 :)

katymay

Medalist
Hello all, I was at the arena today! I am very proud and happy to note my darling Rika got the crowd's (only) standing ovation of the night lol... we were all pretty tired by then. Also, 82+ wow!!!!!! I haven't looked at protocols and all yet, but I thought Kaori should have been above Liza, no?? She skated REALLY well to my awful last-row seat eyes. Also, there was a dude who hauled *** to bring over a giant teddy bear to Alina post-skate, wonder if the cameras picked him up going down the stairs :laugh: Wishing the ladies good luck for Saturday!

Agree, I thought Kaori should have been ahead of Liza. I was so happy to see Rika skate well, and do what she is capable of. Standing ovation was well deserved. Bear in mind, that Rika is also landing a 4S in practice, so the future is bright for her, as long as she can harness the nerves like she did tonight.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Kikihara is the strongest all around female skater we’ve seen in a while. Jumps, SS, spins, artistry, everything is there.

composer

On the Ice
Here's the question: if Rika manages to win everything with at least 2 clean 3A in each competition, would ISU change the rules to limit the number of different jumps like they did with backloading? I think from ISU's point of view, if one skater becomes untouchable if is not really good for the sports, right?

Hindsight being 20/20 it feels like the rule change may have been premature. Then again without the rule change we may just have skaters backloading 3A and quads 😁

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
In the press conference a reporter compared Alina's success last season to what Rika is experiencing this season. He then asked how Alina takes on a challenger like Rika. I was surprised at such a bold question! :eek: Alina said she preferred to not answer. Then she was asked about hearing Rika's score come up. This was a really uncomfortable press conference, especially for not even being 10 min long! :eeking:

That was classy of Alina. She backed up her GPF win with a win at Russian Nationals, a European Championship and, most importantly, an Olympic gold (and silver). I would only compare their seasons if Rika wins Japanese Nationals and a World Championship and even then it would be a stretch to me. It would be a great season but Olympic gold is kind of the pinnacle of the sport.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Here's the question: if Rika manages to win everything with at least 2 clean 3A in each competition, would ISU change the rules to limit the number of different jumps like they did with backloading? I think from ISU's point of view, if one skater becomes untouchable if is not really good for the sports, right?
Nah, that's absurd. Evgenia was pretty much untouchable at one point, and Patrick as well. I don't think the ISU cares.

rikaquegira

On the Ice

Do you have a video of the press conference?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The rule change prompted by Alina wasn’t because she was untouchable (and she lost her final competition of the season anyway), it was because a lot of people disliked totally backloaded programs on an aesthetic level and didn’t want the scoring system to incentivize doing that. Rika’s 3A doesn’t pose an issue like that.

One skater dominating isn’t an issue for the ISU, generally.