2018 Junior World Championships Ladies SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Ladies SP

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Alena and Sasha were much better than the rest. The scores do not reflect that. I would give Alena extra pcs point may be even more. Then her step sequence looked faster and more elaborate than Rika's who almost stopped half the way. Having Alena's stsq at level 3 and Rika's at level 4 seems nothing but judges' desire to keep the Japanese in contention for the gold. Maybe they don't want to make it yet another Eteri's girls show with silver-gold decided even before it started.

Oh please, they both probably lost their levels because the 3-turns weren’t executed in rhythm or with speed. You can like the two Russians step sequence better overall (and I did enjoy Kostornaia’s quite a bit more), but the combination turns of Kihira were much better and so she justly got the level and they didn’t. It's a level requirement that Trusova and Kostornaia didn't hit. This is, of course, part of why I believe GOE should matter more than level requirements for both spins and steps because I’m more interested in quality than hitting the arbitrary requirements like the combination turns. But there was no conspiracy here.

Grin

Medalist
Even Panenkova/Guliakova would have done better than her.

Of course, many Russion junior ladies can do better than Stasya at JWC:
1 Sherbakova
2 Tarakanova
3 Gubanova
4 Panenkova
5 Kanisheva
6 Kostuk
7 Sinitsina
8 Vasileva
9 Gulyakova

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interpretation - Alena should have a 2+ point advantage here. Sorry.

Hmm...Sasha usually does a much a better job at inserting character into her performances and it’s usually very noticable in the SP comparisons of INT. Alena has great musicality but it doesn’t go much deeper than that. My only complaint about her is that she doesn’t really give her programs that extra dimension. She does perform to the music exceptional well and knows how to use her skating to accent it but I still think her and Sasha should score similar PCS in the SP. Sasha performs and Elena floats.

moriel

Record Breaker
Why being so harsh with Konstantinova? I think her skate was nice.

Its not even about her or her skate.
For some reason, the russian fed is overscoring her like crazy at domestic competitions, and she ends up being send to such major competitions over skaters who are way better than her, and would perform way better.

For instance, Tarakanova scored over 66 in SP in all her competitions this season.
Panenkova scored over 65 in SP in all her competitions this season.

Pretty sure that any of those would score at least 4 points over Konstantinova here. And then, tomorrow, watch Stasya bomb the FS too.

People are not harsh with her, people are basically pissed that the fed send her over many other talented skaters who would skate better than her here.

Grin

Medalist
People are not harsh with her, people are basically pissed that the fed send her over many other talented skaters who would skate better than her here.

They do is for the 2nd time in a row. It's like oh, we are in such a mess in all figure skating disciplines but ladies, let's mess in ladies too.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Hmm...Sasha usually does a much a better job at inserting character into her performances and it’s usually very noticable in the SP comparisons of INT. Alena has great musicality but it doesn’t go much deeper than that. My only complaint about her is that she doesn’t really give her programs that extra dimension. She does perform to the music exceptional well and knows how to use her skating to accent it but I still think her and Sasha should score similar PCS in the SP. Sasha performs and Elena floats.
Alena's programs IMO aren't very well choreo'd this season. Whatever you think about Trusova's SP when it comes to whether she should be performing such a program at the age of 13 is one thing... But the choreo is far more detailed and interesting than Kostornaia's choreo. That's one element where I'd easily have Trusova ahead of her in PCS. The jumps to the music also are fantastic, especially the Lutz.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Nops. She had just one JGP (which she kinda bombed, so was not assigned to a second one).
In fact she is known to only skate well in russia

She had one JGP and two CS that she won. She placed high in senior nationals.

Thank you :bow: I see her name very often but I don't know who she is. Kinda like Bradie Tennell... until this year!

starla16

Medalist
Its not even about her or her skate.
For some reason, the russian fed is overscoring her like crazy at domestic competitions, and she ends up being send to such major competitions over skaters who are way better than her, and would perform way better.

For instance, Tarakanova scored over 66 in SP in all her competitions this season.
Panenkova scored over 65 in SP in all her competitions this season.

Pretty sure that any of those would score at least 4 points over Konstantinova here. And then, tomorrow, watch Stasya bomb the FS too.

Fact is she never skates clean outside of russian domestic competitions the most, she will have a mess of a FS with probably 2-3 falls and a score between 106-115 range.
why are they scoring her like a Medvedeva level consistency ? we will never know.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
"My" scores of the event:

Kostornaya 73 (+1.5)
Trusova 72 (0)
Cui 66 (+4)
Yamashita 65 (-1.5)
Lim, Konstantinova 62 (0)
Kihira 60 (-2)

I agree that Japanese girl were a little bit overscored today while Cui was a little bit underscored comparing to them. I would score the rest of the girls in a similar way judges did.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I agree that Japanese girl were a little bit overscored while Cui was a little bit underscored today. I would score the rest of the girls in a similar way judges did.

That's basically my point. Although "a bit" goes to the Japanese. Cui, I think, was strongly underscored mainly because she is a new kid on the block. If she keeps going like that she may get "Bradie's boost" in no time at all.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I don't closely follow juniors tbh, but gosh, Adios Nonino of Kostornaia just drew me in. :luv17::luv17:
Isn't she the one who said is a big fan of Shoma? Then I can understand why I loved her so much; she's already got the tremendous natural talent/ability to perform and take judges/crowds away with it, just like Shoma did in his junior days. :thumbsup:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I expect to move up next year and land on the podium... I think it was a smart move by her coach because there was just too many hangers on prior to this Olympic season and the field was really cluttered by waiting for next year she can really make an impact just my opinion

I hope we her skate as a Senior at Nationals next season it's time for the new blood to take over and starting the new Olympic cycle is a good time to get out there with the big girls. She has big potential.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alena's programs IMO aren't very well choreo'd this season. Whatever you think about Trusova's SP when it comes to whether she should be performing such a program at the age of 13 is one thing... But the choreo is far more detailed and interesting than Kostornaia's choreo. That's one element where I'd easily have Trusova ahead of her in PCS. The jumps to the music also are fantastic, especially the Lutz.

I agree. Even though I don't think the song is appropriate for her, I still enjoy the program a lot. And she just has that star quality for me.

I wonder what Alena's programs will be like next season. I remember her saying in some interview that she was interested in doing an Edith Piaf program IIRC. That would require a lot more outward performance than her current programs, so it would be cool to see. But maybe waiting one season on that would be better? But she's very good so who knows. I want to see her with better programs because as good as she is, she doesn't grab me yet. I'd like her to, because I really enjoy musical skaters who finish their movements.

rlopen

On the Ice
Of course, many Russion junior ladies can do better than Stasya at JWC:
1 Sherbakova
2 Tarakanova
3 Gubanova
4 Panenkova
5 Kanisheva
6 Kostuk
7 Sinitsina
8 Vasileva
9 Gulyakova

I know, it makes me so angry that out of ALL the 10 skaters they could have chosen, they chose a girl who is very likely safe next year and won't be stuck to Russian domestic competitions (and will probably get 2 GP assignments). It's a shame because skaters like Gubanova and Gulyakova REALLY could have benefited from the experience but, nope. I don't see what they're seeing and I hope once all these skaters transition to seniors that they become so much better and consistent that RusFed has no choice but to send them to senior competitions over skaters like Stanislava.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I much prefer Alena over Sasha. For people who remember skating in the 90s, it reminds me of Kwan/Lipinski. Kwan skated with more nuance and maturity, while Tara skated little girly with tons of energy and lots more jump tech. I'm okay if Sasha outjumps Alena, but it was pretty much a draw here in the SP, so I felt that Alena should have won. Of course tomorrow if we get 2 quads and a clean program from Sasha she totally deserves the win. I just hope she doesn't injure herself.... I was relieved to see the vids of her 4toe where she looks to have control over them, unlike that horrific fall a few weeks ago that was posted. eek. I just hope they both (well all the skaters) do their best, that's always the best kind of competition.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Yes it was infuriating to see Gubanova lost Jworlds spot cause of Konstantinova's inflated scores. Same with Yuhana Yokoi who for me shouldn't have get that spot.
But it's done. We should just let them skate (and make errors).

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
I wish ISU could ban quads in juniors. I don't think it's a good message for young girls and boys. Adult content should be used with adults.