2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Ladies Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Ladies Short Program

moriel

Record Breaker
Looks like very generous GOEs from protocols, lots of +4's...sigh

Yep, most of those are pretty well deserved.
I mean, point me some other skaters who do a charlotte into 2A and stuff like that.

Folks, if you have your personal scorebook which is different from what all the judges seem to have, that is your own problem.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I mean, point me some other skaters who do a charlotte into 2A and stuff like that.

Folks, if you have your personal scorebook which is different from what all the judges seem to have, that is your own problem.

I think there is reasonable room to express disagreement about scores. I do think they’re a bit generous given the landings and just the overall feel of the program, but I know the transitions were tough. I’d personally be okay with 74-75.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Canadian judge did his best to show that he was not impressed by Alina but it did not work: all of his scores were discarded as the lowest.

Fantastic job, Alina!

SXTN

Final Flight
Am I the only one who likes Alina's program?

It feels like watching a trailer of the real musical. And she portrays it so well.

Mai and Mariah skated really well, but Alina was captivating. You almost forgot the programs of the first two after watching Alina.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

A jump or combo needs to meet all three of the below guidelines to get +4 or +5.

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence)
2) good take-off and landing
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination)

Bullets 2 and 3 are not met with shaky landings. Judges have guidelines that they follow and not their personal scorebook.

danse

On the Ice
I never thought I'd say that my two favourite skates of the ladies SP were going to be to Celine Dion songs, but I think it brought out the performance qualities in both Loena and Mariah.
I didn't even recognize Mariah when I first tuned in. Gone was the mousy "almost" skater - never quite attaining that level of potential, but I think this SP makes her shine and even better that it was clean. Alina was lovely as well - the music cuts are criminal, her costume was lovely and my has she grown - tall girl! Someone commented earlier on something that hit the nail right on the head for me - she has lovely positions that she doesn't quite hold or extend long enough so they to me at least, don't maximize what could potentially be a memorable show-stopping moment. I think Alaine has so much potential with that program - I think it's a great vehicle for her and the speed! I'd love to watch her and Gabby Daleman in a speed skating race! I just wish she could regain her confidence in her jumps! I'd love to see how a clean Alaine would fare under this judging system update.

leoleo

Medalist

It feels like watching a trailer of the real musical. And she portrays it so well.

Mai and Mariah skated really well, but Alina was captivating. You almost forgot the programs of the first two after watching Alina.

I love the program itself, still hate the music cuts and sound effects but Alina's skating really is beautiful, she sells the program well

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

I absolutely enjoyed it. 3 highlights for me so far this season: Rika's FP, Bradie's SP, and Alina's SP. Let's wait for tomorrow.

moriel

Record Breaker
A jump or combo needs to meet all three of the below guidelines to get +4 or +5.

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence)
2) good take-off and landing
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination)

Bullets 2 and 3 are not met with shaky landings. Judges have guidelines that they follow and not their personal scorebook.

her landings were fine enough to meet those points imho.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
i really hate it when fans compare skaters situations like this but honestly, for zhenya everybody knows she can do better than what she produced at ACI. Unfortunately for Marin (and i absolutely love her) seeing her fail like this isn't surprising. Completely different situations. She is able to deliver all the jumps in practice but something always seems to hold her back when it matters the most.

About Alina's scores, i am happy that her spins are getting the high goes they deserve, she has fantastic spins.

It IS hard for a skater from Japan to move to a western country when they barely speak the language, and suddenly have to look after themselves alone. Let's not underestimate that. And for me personally, I believe this is a head problem. Nerves. It seems to me that Marin is able, but not when it counts. She needs to up her mental game. I didn't want to say her and Evgenia's situations are alike, but perhaps I expected too much, too soon. And I don't want to be harsh on a young skater who sacrificed so much. She wants this, I'm sure. Perhaps too much and that stops her from relaxing.

SXTN

Final Flight
I think there is reasonable room to express disagreement about scores. I do think they’re a bit generous given the landings and just the overall feel of the program, but I know the transitions were tough. I’d personally be okay with 74-75.

What is negative about the overall feel of the program? You don't like it, that's ok, but the program has transitions, the program has sweet moments, the program has drama and every move and choreographical detail is perfectly matched to the music.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Wow! That last group was very good!
I was already expecting classic Marin with her mistakes so I wasn’t surprised and I’m not thinking is the end of the world. Perhaps it just wasn’t her day. She can do better next time! Better to make mistakes here than in the GP!

Loena had a very nice performance! Technically she isn’t perfect but she has a power and lovely presentation.

Mariah too! I actually liked the program, I liked the music choice, a little bit different from the usual stuff.

Mai was lovely too! She’s still missing the X factor but she is a good skater with strong jumps and beautiful skating. Just the programs could be more exciting.

Alina skated very well! Thank god she was on the music this time!(for the most part)
The jumps look good!!! I love the 2A with that crazy difficult entry! Totally a “wow” moment in the program!
Let’s all agree that Loop was UR? [emoji120] But as all of the other errors here, it was not called. I saw flutzes and rotation issues ignored throughout the event, I guess this panel is very, very... generous.
I won’t talk about PCS because, as always, totally a joke! [emoji23]
I’m just glad the Ladies brought their A game here and skated very well overall! Can’t wait for the Free! [emoji122]

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What is negative about the overall feel of the program? You don't like it, that's ok, but the program has transitions, the program has sweet moments, the program has drama and every move and choreographical detail is perfectly matched to the music.

As I said earlier, I think it lacks a bit of cohesion. I agree the elements are nice and she has good transitions but they all felt like separate parts of a skate rather than one skate. I think once she can weave those different parts more seamlessly then I think it will look great. It’s an early season performance.

I do like the dress though!

leoleo

Medalist
I don't think there is something wrong with discussing the scores or disagreeing with them, we do that all the time in figure skating and judges have showed in the past that they can be... well biased. as long as you're not disrespecting or insulting skaters (like in the aci ladies free skate thread, that was a mess). You have to bring in real arguments tho, not just "olympic champion inflation!!!" :laugh:

SXTN

Final Flight
As I said earlier, I think it lacks a bit of cohesion. I agree the elements are nice and she has good transitions but they all felt like separate parts of a skate rather than one skate. I think once she can weave those different parts more seamlessly then I think it will look great. It’s an early season performance.

I do like the dress though!

This is very subjective to my mind.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is very subjective to my mind.

Well, figure skating judging by nature is subjective. I certainly know that not everyone, including judges, shares my take on the skate.

For now, that’s how I feel. At this point, from strictly a program standpoint, I preferred Loena’s program and Mariah second.

But I’m not going to say Alina’s skate was not without merit. There is plenty to appreciate.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Alina's program is insanely difficult. What score could we expect for her clean skate of such a program? Her margin is well deserved. Without backloading bonus she is at her last year score level. Why should she be lower than that? She left 2A entrance last season because she could not control it - now she did it perfectly.

I am a bit nervous about FP, though.

leoleo

Medalist
It IS hard for a skater from Japan to move to a western country when they barely speak the language, and suddenly have to look after themselves alone. Let's not underestimate that. And for me personally, I believe this is a head problem. Nerves. It seems to me that Marin is able, but not when it counts. She needs to up her mental game. I didn't want to say her and Evgenia's situations are alike, but perhaps I expected too much, too soon. And I don't want to be harsh on a young skater who sacrified so much. She wants this, I'm sure. Perhaps too much and that stops her from relaxing.

never said it's not hard tho! i know it is. I just find it weird that you're bringing in evgenia's situation when her poor performance at aci is not something you usually expect from her. Also her coaching situation + injury and everything is why some people were understanding (although i've seen tons of people also dragging her for not delivering so not everybody was as understanding). It is however not unusual for Marin. She has improved a lot during the summer. I saw her practice much more difficult combos in some footage but her issue with nerves isn't something new. That's all i was saying

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Loena was a staaaaaaaaaaaarrrr!!!! Wow! That 3lz-3T was beautifuuuuuuuullll. Well deserved score.
I'm glad that Alina skated clean. Good score, even if too high.
Mai was lovely.