2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Pairs Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Pairs Short Program

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The lady saying "thank you" says it in the same insincere-sounding way the announcer at Milan Worlds did.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
8 Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM (USA)

Music: Castle by Halsy

Black jumpsuit with gold details

3Tw
3S - both hand down
3FTh - she fell
4Li
StSq
BoDs
CCoSp - unison on/off

Off skate, not what we hoped for

SP: 32.85+29.88-1.00 = 61.73, 1/8

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Love the program, love the costumes. Rough performance in a few places, but I think they're headed in the right direction.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That program looks challenging, which I would expect. I think with some more mileage, it will look good.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I love the program, from an excellent starting pose to the end. The day they perform it with no error, it will be great.
And what pleasure to see Aljona in the K&C :)

pearly

Record Breaker
The lady saying "thank you" says it in the same insincere-sounding way the announcer at Milan Worlds did.

I'm thinking it's the same person. The announcer at Worlds did a Sr B earlier last year as well, but I forget which one.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rough skates for the US pairs, but still can see what the programs will be with mileage and skated clean.

No idea what the Knierims' music is, but different. I like different (sometimes):biggrin:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
9 Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD (CAN)

Music: Come Together by The Beatles

Black jumpsuits, silver sparkle

3Tw - low catch
3T - she double?
4Li
3LoTh - she fell
BoDs
FCCoSp - unison off
StSq

Mixed skate as well

SP: 27.69+25.16-1.0 = 51.58, 5/9

twirlingaround

Rinkside
Maybe a little rough, but Chris rotated his jump with just a hand down! The program is awesome! It's early in the season, this could be a very good program. However, I'm not fond of the costumes, they look like they are skating to something from Tron just a little to costumey.

8 Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM (USA)

Music: Castle by Halsy

Black jumpsuit with gold details

3Tw
3S - both hand down
3FTh - she fell
4Li
StSq
BoDs
CCoSp - unison on/off

Off skate, not what we hoped for

oly2018

Final Flight
I may be in the minority, but I did not like the Knierim's program. I agree with them trying an edgier style, but part of their problem has always been Chris's complete lack of emotion. I could almost see them thinking about the next step the whole time. I admire them for going so far outside their comfort zone, but this just feels cluttered to me.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

*legasp* That's just the way german people sound, sorry to say. And it is the same lady.

I don't know what to think of the Knierim program. I'm not entirely convinced. I miss Aljona on ice. KnC is not enough...*sigh*

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I may be in the minority, but I did not like the Knierim's program. I agree with them trying an edgier style, but part of their problem has always been Chris's complete lack of emotion. I could almost see them thinking about the next step the whole time. I admire them for going so far outside their comfort zone, but this just feels cluttered to me.

Chris is 30 years old and he isn't going to be Jason Brown on the ice, ever. I like him the way he is:biggrin:

But the way he looked at Alexa last year during their skates: IMO, the man emotes just fine when he needs to.:agree:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Enjoyed Knierims skate... costumes could use toning down a tad but they reflected the music which was a huge contrast to music they used the last couple of seasons... I liked music and SP alot. That lift was AMAZING!! One comment though: they let mistakes get to them too much. There was a slight air of disappointment as they come off the ice... rather than smiling and celebrating what was right about the program, expressing pleasure about what they accomplished... none of us likes to see our favs being too hard on themselves... My imagination or did Chris show some real musicality in this piece... he can move!!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a bit disappointed, but only because I have such high expectations for them now that they're with Aljona--probably unrealistically so. That lift was just :jaw: They stood up on their jumps which always makes me happy! It's been a long, hard fight for Alexa to come back from her illness, and I have to think she is still recuperating...Anxious to see their free.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Like many of you, I thought that Alexa and Chris's program was interesting, but it was definitely a rough outing. I'm not sure that I really see any significant improvements in their skating - They are still struggling with what they always have struggled with and they're still doing the same things well that they always have. Both of them need more 'edge' for this program - which I'm sure Alexa will get, as she's a solid performer, but I'm not convinced about Chris. I also found their costumes to be eyesores. They are really tacky and dated looking, and I find Alexa's particularly unflattering.

Deanna and Nate were also a bit messy, but I also like their program and think that it has potential. I love her especially - She's such a boss to come back to skating at her age, in a totally new discipline! She really does have a wonderful presence on the ice, as well as great posture. I liked their entry into the lift (I also liked Alexa and Chris's lift), but they, like Alexa and Chris, need to work on their side-by-side spins - both in terms of synchronicity and matching lines/positions. I like her costume from the front, but, like someone said at the last competition, it looks like she's wearing a black sports bra from the back.

Other than the bad fall on the throw, that was a pretty solid outing for Evelyn and Trennt. They are quite young for a pair team, but I think that they look like they belong in the senior ranks. I liked their program and costumes, and I'm impressed that they do as well as they do, given their minimal height difference. They also need to work on their spins - They looked like they were mirror images most of the time.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I think the Knierim's SP has a ton of potential. The choreo is interesting and it will make them stand out. There were definitely some rough moments, but the jumps were rotated! They look like an American pair that can actually, legitimately, compete at the world level - which we haven't seen in a while.

gold12345

Medalist
Enjoyed Knierims skate... costumes could use toning down a tad but they reflected the music which was a huge contrast to music they used the last couple of seasons... I liked music and SP alot. That lift was AMAZING!! One comment though: they let mistakes get to them too much. There was a slight air of disappointment as they come off the ice... rather than smiling and celebrating what was right about the program, expressing pleasure about what they accomplished... none of us likes to see our favs being too hard on themselves... My imagination or did Chris show some real musicality in this piece... he can move!!

Yes, I'm usually focused on Alexa, but Chris caught my eye. His long legs and stretch stood out to me. I'm surprised their previous choreographers never really brought that out in him. I disagree with whoever said he doesn't show emotion. He's not a smiley, flamboyant personality, but he gives proper emotion based on the style of music he's skating to IMO (in this case, it's dark music) and he pays proper attention to Alexa. He lets Alexa be the main focal point, as any pair guy should, and shows her off well.

I think the Knierim's SP has a ton of potential. The choreo is interesting and it will make them stand out. There were definitely some rough moments, but the jumps were rotated! They look like an American pair that can actually, legitimately, compete at the world level - which we haven't seen in a while.

Agreed, it has a lot of potential. The program is unique and I see real improvement in their speed and their overall look. In the past they would kinda get labored toward the ends of their step sequence but this one looked strong. I'm not surprised by the rough spots in the program given how much they changed from last year. Nearly every element has a change since last season and the program overall is more difficult. They probably still need time to see what works and what needs tweaking. They've only worked steadily with Aljona since mid-July. Keeping Alexa relaxed and focused on learning instead of getting stressed out about mistakes will be important because sometimes she can get too hard on herself. When cleaner, this can be very competitive with the rest of the world.