2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs FS | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs FS

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Explain one thing to me: Why is there way less emotional investment in Pairs than in any of the other disciplines? I might just read the wrong posts but all in all the athmosphere appears to be much more laid back and respectful of all skaters here than in threads where ID, ladies or men are involved.

Because I don't think people and the media portrayed some sort of crazy fight/rivalry like the other disciplines.

Men : Quad-fest + Japanese skaters + Javi + Nathan + Boyang... Plus Yuzu is the most popular skater.
Ladies : Russian sweep ? Italy and Canada being the spoiler, knowing that Carolina has been here for a while and Canada is a nation of figure skating.
Ice Dance : FRA vs CAN, the latter having the biggest fanbase after Yuzuru. Battle for Bronze, but only look at the US teams it's already a lot. Plus it's about details and levels so people are losing their minds here.

bobbob

Medalist
I don't think there was an active plot to reduce levels after seeing the Sui/Han were going to win by a small margin. But I do think the tech panel knew it was close and wanted to penalize Sui/Han with extra scrutiny to achieve the desired result. On an emotional level, I do sort of agree since Aliona and Bruno's free skate was the best skate I have seen in a long, long time, but objectively it seems a little odd because that level 3 on the final lift...was that the worst group 3 lift Sui/han ever performed, really?

ssminnow

Rinkside
Just checking into this thread now because I was heartbroken for S/H. In sports the closest victories are always extra special for the winners and extra painful for the runners-up. For all the talk about Savchenko's journey, not enough people realize what any Chinese athlete goes through to represent their country at the Olympics.

I'm of the opinion that the overall results were fair, but that the top two could have gone either way and that if S/H were European whereas S/M were Chinese, the results would have been flipped by the judges. Not saying that would have been right, just how politicking works in skating.

But really it's time to move forward. I saw an interview with S/H in Chinese and they didn't complain whatsoever about judging (something Chinese gymnasts used to complain about all the time), but instead appearing genuinely sorry that they led their families and their country down. Han also expressed admiration for the perseverance of S/M and D/R. This is a special pair and I hope they get their moment in Beijing!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Just checking into this thread now because I was heartbroken for S/H. In sports the closest victories are always extra special for the winners and extra painful for the runners-up. For all the talk about Savchenko's journey, not enough people realize what any Chinese athlete goes through to represent their country at the Olympics.

I'm of the opinion that the overall results were fair, but that the top two could have gone either way and that if S/H were European whereas S/M were Chinese, the results would have been flipped by the judges. Not saying that would have been right, just how politicking works in skating.

But really it's time to move forward. I saw an interview with S/H in Chinese and they didn't complain whatsoever about judging (something Chinese gymnasts used to complain about all the time), but instead appearing genuinely sorry that they led their families and their country down. Han also expressed admiration for the perseverance of S/M and D/R. This is a special pair and I hope they get their moment in Beijing!

S/H's fight through all the issues is really impressive. Nevertheless they have no reason to complain about the judging the FP. It is Aljona and Bruno who got not enough points.

The PCS gap was not even half a point to S/H and just three points to T/M!

girl in red

Rinkside

i think you are right,especially about the part of the two teams being from different countries.For me it was all in aliona s free skate,if she skated clean none would have given the gold to the chinese despite them skating a superb sp that was definitely undermarked.This time everything was on her side, the judges,luck,the universe.It was just not meant to be for sui/han.I wholeheartedly hope their time comes because they are such amazing athletes,both talented and respectful.

QuadThrow

Medalist
i think you are right,especially about the part of the two teams being from different countries.For me it was all in aliona s free skate,if she skated clean none would have given the gold to the chinese despite them skating a superb sp that was definitely undermarked.This time everything was on her side, the judges,luck,the universe.It was just not meant to be for sui/han.I wholeheartedly hope their time comes because they are such amazing athletes,both talented and respectful.

Not at all. No German judge was in the FS panel. Sui/Han's SP got insanely high marks. It would have been a WR if a group 5 lift had been a required element this season like in 2014. So I think it was fair.

The Chinese judge gave it to Papadakis/Cizeron in Dance. The French judge gave it to Sui/Han in pairs! Looks like something should have been fixed.

russianskating4ever

On the Ice
Not at all. No German judge was in the FS panel. Sui/Han's SP got insanely high marks. It would have been a WR if a group 5 lift had been a required element this season like in 2014. So I think it was fair.

The Chinese judge gave it to Papadakis/Cizeron in Dance. The French judge gave it to Sui/Han in pairs! Looks like something should have been fixed.

Yea agree something fishy
Always to do with the french sigh
But less obvious this time
But we there's not enough evidence for this