2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs SP | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs SP

bramweld

Record Breaker
I wonder why D/R removed this move from their program where she glides on his foot.

https://youtu.be/R2aj1HKG0L4?t=225

Now he just holds her on his lap, which is nice but doesn't have quite the same effect. I wonder if this was somehow related to his injury.

The program has different highlights now, I guess. I didn't find that move very effective. I find I like it better now. If only the person who revamped their LP had worked on JSM with W/P (I know, I digress) because that program just feels old, for lack of a better word.

LandShark

Rinkside
Well that was a cracking SP competition. I enjoyed almost all of the performances , and the level of the skating has been mighty fine.

I absolutely love the way that Marchei / Hotarek want to entertain us , and that they remember they are part of the entertainment industry as well as taking part in a sports competition. If you have that kind of personality , let it out guys , let it out. Loved the love that the crowd gave them back and how moved Marchei was. A repeat of that in the Free would be super.

Liked the Number 2 Russians , lovely flowing , graceful , classic Russian style.

I admire the courage and style of James/Cipres , but they're probably not just tidy enough in their work in this exalted company.

Savchenko/Massot are going to have to forget that salchow , Eric Radford is going to have to produce a better lutz. These couples have probably handed a gift to the Chinese , but then they worked to get there to be fair.

That leaves Tarasova/Morosov. They could theoretically reach the Chinese and no doubt they'll leave nothing on the ice in the attempt.

However , I'd like to see young Morosov actually look like he realises that he's there in an Olympic competition , that he's in some way engaged and connected to his programme in the same way that his considerably more beguiling partner is. If he feels excitement and joy , then the lad keeps it all in. Let it flow.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
The program has different highlights now, I guess. I didn't find that move very effective. I find I like it better now. If only the person who revamped their LP had worked on JSM with W/P (I know, I digress) because that program just feels old, for lack of a better word.

Did they really rework it that much? Most of it looks pretty similar to me.

Jedi

On the Ice
While I think the judging of some of the earlier caused the huge smushing of scores from 3rd to 9th it adds drama. I think we don't have to worry about S/M. they still can win gold. I think it will be Sui and Han, Savchenko and Massot and T and M. The French, 2 Italians, and Duhamel and Radford could possibly sneak on the podium but it is doubtful unless T and M really crash and burn or under the pressure Bruno messes up an individual jump and Aliona goes down on a throw.. Interesting if this continues Canada loses three spots (we I meant if this continues at world's) Who would think the former junior world champs couldn't qualify for the freeskate. What a competition. No falls from all the qualifiers.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
PCS is still about skaters work, particullary their blades work. Its not choreography itself which is judged here, but how skaters skate someones choreo. You can of course like someones choreo, music and style better than another, but that is more a thing of subjective preference. Some things are generally more appealing for someone eyes, some are not, which is perfectly fine. But what we like more is not always the same with what is better skating in concrete sport of FS defined by own concrete rules. Preferencies should not be something influencing that much what judges are looking for when awarding the scores. Good skaters are still good skaters no matter of the music they are skating to, and what kind of costumes and style they are presenting, if they are able to present that something somehow...

In theory at any rate.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
PCS is still about skaters work, particularly their blades work. Its not choreography itself which is judged here, but how skaters skate someones choreo. You can of course like someones choreo better than another, but that is more a thing of subjective preference But what we like more is not always the same with what is better skating in concrete sport of FS defined by own concrete rules. Preferences should not be something influencing that much what judges are looking for when awarding the scores..

It is a JUDGED sport where artistry matters. What someone views as more pleasing choreography than another is exactly what should be getting the higher choreography score. That's why there is a panel of judges. Preference is built upon personal knowledge and judges should have the most knowledge (although they don't, but ideally they should).

SS: Sui/Han 9.36
Tarasova/Morozov 9.46

Please explain how...
I mean. T/M have great SS. This is the only PCS score they could/ should win.

The usage of T/M's blades is not as proficient with the edges and ability to move as Sui/Han, they shouldn't be winning that component (or any).

I think T&M's Candyman could go viral if they eff up enough tomorrow.

One of the best posts here LOL.

Eclair

Medalist
Hello there! Anybody from Poland planning to watch the Pairs FS on Eurosport? I've just noticed something confusing: when I look at the schedule, the FS is planned for 02:25-03:00 on Player and that's it. 35 minutes? Do you think it's just a mistake or are they really not showing the whole thing?

https://pl.eurosportplayer.com/schedule/future/1
I don't know about Eurosport Poland but all Eurosport streams I watched where full and live, so I don't think you have to worry. Just log in and select the figure skating stream at 2:25 or if you want to sleep a bit more at 3am and you should be able to watch that whole thing

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I loved the North Korean pair. I don't really follow pairs closely, so I had never seen them before, and they blew me away. I also loved most of the Asian teams in the earlier groups. They mostly nailed their presentation.

They instantly put a smile on my face! Two balls of energy, with great connection to each other and tbe audience too. Technically capable and with room to grow. Their reaction to their score was priceless as well.

Olympic

On the Ice
I think the title is there for Sui/Han if they are clean. That Candyman LP by Tarasova/Morozov is a load of bollocks but their lead after the SP gives them a cushion for a medal, should they skate adequately. Sadly, I believe that means one of my pair power girls is going to be off the podium - Meaghan Duhamel or Aliona Savchenko.

*Sigh* Knierims in 14th is pretty bad. I am proud for their comeback from all the adversity they have faced, but it didn't look like they were fighting for any of the power elements.

Franza

Spectator
Superficial takeaways from the SP: (to tired and clueless for smarter things)

1. Such a clean an high level competition, what a joy to watch!
2. Woul've been even better, if my eyelids wouldn't have dropped every 20 seconds.
3. 10:00 am is a really ahitty starting time in all regards.
4. Giggled when someone of the earlier groups fell (not about the fall of course and I don't remember who it was) and the music went "move ooonn..!
5. A few really surprisingly good pairs, PRK really woke me up there for a few minutes
6. French figure skating federation made it a requirement to use Ed Sheran for the Short Skates this season? :D
7. Bruno...
8. Going to learn Russian by default, if there is anything to the theory that absorbing something right before you go to sleep enhances learning. Been in that state for 4 hours straight.

Well then, on we go with our mission to mess up my healthy sleep schedule with the FS ... Ochin harasho!