2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 108 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Social media is going crazy about figure skating. Wait until the pairs start and then... the men. Yuzuru is going to crash twitter just by stepping on the ice. :scard7:

Yes Anyasnake, lots of examples from different people around the globe, and from all walks of life. Mango showed me this tweet earlier, which I thought was cute. This is not a "Puppy Love".

https://twitter.com/donnyosmond/status/962605412196454401

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Most of the Eteri students' axel techniques are too weak to try 3A. You have to have a very solid 2A first. Examples of skaters with a very solid 2A: Mirai, Wakaba, Rika K. (who has a consistent 3A too), Yuna Kim. I'm sure there's others, but Eteri students don't come to mind.

I don't disagree - although someone like Alena Kostornaia has a nice axel technique (not sure if she could get a 3A, but it's a good technique). I just guess I would teach a better axel technique to try for the triple was more my thinking. I suppose that some of the more pre-rotation that some of the Eteri girls use to help with consistency can't be used for the triple axel and it might be difficult to turn off for just one jump, but could certainly be used to help for a 4S (although we haven't seen it succeed yet).

randomfan

Record Breaker
100% this, except as Eclair pointed out, Zagitova actually isn't very consistent. Her first clean SP of the season was at GPF. :scratch2:

You’re right about the SP performances since they haven’t been that great all season, but I do think she was pretty consistent in the FS at least (just a couple of minor mistakes in December).

And also, she had a foot-down in the SP at GPF, so that one wasn’t even clean either...I think Euros was her first clean one?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TontoK you are amazing! Thank you for "calming the waters" here, on this forum, for bringing some sort of...my English vocabulary is not good... some sort of lightness ('...how then, you may say, are we to wrestle with the darkness? by becoming light') and for each and every of your post here, they always are a wonderful treat.

What an incredibly kind thing to write. Thank you!

I will try to live up to your opinion - although I'm afraid I slip into snark too often.

None of what I ever share is intended to be petty - except for Alexei Urmanov, and then I mean every unkind thing I say. :cool14:

We all have our blind spots...

combinationspin

On the Ice
After watching the Ladies‘ LP, all I can say is that I‘m crossing my fingers for Evgenia to create some magic and become the OC. With Alina, all I see is icy cold, rehearsed precision. Evgenia has innate elegance and musicality, at least.

if you want the sport to draw an audience you just need american skaters to win. the loss of the "casual" audience is only happening in the US. in japan popularity of the sport is bigger than ever

I must say that I agree with you. I was having this argument on another forum with someone who just couldn't understand no matter what's happening to the sport in the US and why, the sport's overall popularity isn't really declining, but instead even increasing in countries like Japan.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we replace Tara/Johnny with Leslie Jones?

Who is that person? IF it were anyone but Mrs P, I'd accuse her of linking to some kind of racist parody account.

It's so negatively stereotypical that it is borderline offensive.

TunaKeem

Rinkside
Who is that person? IF it were anyone but Mrs P, I'd accuse her of linking to some kind of racist parody account.

It's so negatively stereotypical that it is borderline offensive.

I mean that is Leslie Jones, that is her personality and she is very well known for it. Sorry if you find it to be stereotypical and borderline offensive but to a lot of people, myself included, that is how my family and friends speak. I don't think she should change the way she speaks and acts to adhere to what you deem to be acceptable.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
are you serious? :laugh:

Alina isn't an artist. She's a power skater. The best artist currently is Satoko Miyahara, whose marks don't reflect it. Mirai can be artistic and is in exhibitions, but why bother, when it isn't rewarded?

Mirai can be artistic and is in exhibitions, but why bother, when it isn't rewarded?

I mean, I think she was ranked correctly, and 64 in PCS for that performance was kind of generous. If she had just tried to perform more and been more involved with the music, she would have had a couple more points and maybe even a total of 140.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean that is Leslie Jones, that is her personality and she is very well known for it. Sorry if you find it to be stereotypical and borderline offensive but to a lot of people, myself included, that is how my family and friends speak. I don't think she should change the way she speaks and acts to adhere to what you deem to be acceptable.

I am terribly sorry to have offended you. I don't know anyone who goes around talking like this in real life.

Just my experience, and no disrespect intended towards your family and friends.

As i said in reply to another contributor, I find most American entertainment so devoid of talent that I prefer subtitled foreign content. So I guess it's no surprise that I didn't recognize her.

There's actually a GS thread in Cafe Forum that discusses foreign programs on streaming services.

casken

On the Ice
There are not a lot of opportunities for someone like Leslie Jones, and someone like her kind of has to stay in her wheelhouse if she's going to make it in the industry. It's not like she would ever be in the running for whatever the latest comic book super hero movie or latest Jurassic Park retread they pump out for generic male stars to ride as a vehicle. She's not going to be cast opposite Ryan Gosling in a romcom. Subtle and nuanced will get her nowhere.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thank you. I had never heard of her.

I've switched my entertainment viewing to more foreign programs and movies, and I see that was the right decision.

She does not appear to be an actress I would enjoy.

Guess your not a fan of late night TV. TontoK. She's been a cast member on SNL for 4 years now, also Seth Myers has done a thing on the Tonight Show with her watching Game of Thrones, or Game of Jones, at her place. She was also in the latest rendition of the GhostBusters movie.

Leslie also worked with NBC previously doing social media during the Rio Olympic Games, and now is in Pyeongchang. She's an uber Olympics fan and makes me :laugh2:

curious

Final Flight
Alina isn't an artist. She's a power skater. The best artist currently is Satoko Miyahara, whose marks don't reflect it. Mirai can be artistic and is in exhibitions, but why bother, when it isn't rewarded?

I like Mira but she is not artistic.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Guess your not a fan of late night TV. TontoK. She's been a cast member on SNL for 4 years now, also Seth Myers has done a thing on the Tonight Show with her watching Game of Thrones, or Game of Jones, at her place. She was also in the latest rendition of the GhostBusters movie.

Leslie also worked with NBC previously doing social media during the Rio Olympic Games, and now is in Pyeongchang. She's an uber Olympics fan and makes me :laugh2:

Now that you've provided some snippets of her CV, I completely understand why I have not heard of her.

You are correct that I don't watch late night shows on the main networks.

And I would not cross the street to watch a GhostBusters reboot if admission was free and supper was served.

But, if she makes people laugh, good for her. And, of course, if she's an uber Olympics fan, we have something in common.