2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

Emilia12

Rinkside
Look at Canada- we ONLY substituted our women's skater and kept our strongest for all other disciplines and that might just be what gives us an edge over the other countries.

which is incredibly stupid thing to do. skate Canada is afraid to take some risk and by that they are denying their skaters the oportunity to medal. luck of support from the federation is a reason why Canada has no depth of field in any discipline

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
But Mirai hasn't proven she would score higher.

This

Where did this notion that Mirai has the highest scoring potential in the FS come from ?

Is it her "3A" ?
Bradie just scored 137 a couple months ago, Mirai's all time PB is 132
and she rarely gets that high of a score

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m happy that the event wraps up shortly after 11pm EST. I was super exhausted last night, but also extremely wired from all the excitement, so I didn’t manage to fall asleep before 4am.

We’ve had crazy winter weather happening in my neck of the Canadian woods since Friday. Unfortunately, there’s a high chance of more snow mixed with freezing rain this evening, so Yuzudaughter might not be back tonight for her live commentary. :( I know, I know, you are all extremely disappointed just at the thought, but I’d rather she didn’t get in a car accident with her father on the slick roads. But we shall see. :yes:

Emilia12

Rinkside
the medal is for skaters not for federation
today skate Canada shown they are not willing to support anyone but the national champions, again..
My heart really goes out for the #2 Canadian skaters who were told today by their federation that they are not worthy to represent their country, that they don't trust them and don't support them

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can I say, as an American who is :scratch2: by some of our choices, how I admire the strategy of our neighbors to the North?

Canada did not come to trifle, they came to play :clap: I like that attitude:)

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Is anyone else wondering whether the US should have substituted Chock and Bates for the free dance and kept Bradie for the ladies free?

Yup

The US obviously cares more about the stories they'll get sacrificing a few score points for
Nagasu and Rippon, Then to let an Ice dance team that will most likely score the same
amount of points as the Shibs get a deserved Olympic medal

I guess it's nice that Rippon could be a Gay athlete winning bronze at the Olympics
But then again, Eric Radford is just about to be a Gay Olympic champion, So...

kresslia

Medalist
today skate Canada shown they are not willing to support anyone but the national champions, again..
lol, are you mad that they're actually going all in on this event?

Yeah, you see, the Team Event IS all about National Champions (typically your best skaters, except in the odd case where they lose Nationals), aside from a max of 2 substitutions. We used 1 of those. Could we have subbed in someone like W/P? Sure, but why take the risk if V/M are out here saying they'd skate 10 times at the Olympics if they could?

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
I am baffled by Team USA not using another dance team. They all have the same scoring potential IMO.
As for the comment regarding gay athlete winning a medal... ? There have been before and there will be after...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Huh? Sending national champions to the Olympics and supporting them is stupid?

These Canadian national and world champions, long time friends and teammates, wish to go out together with a shared Olympic glory before their retirements. Is it wrong for the fed to let them work hard to realize this shared dream?

Emilia12

Rinkside
To give WP the chance to medal, and to give them the edge for the individual even. Not a good enough reason to take that risk? Apparently not

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yup

The US obviously cares more about the stories they'll get sacrificing a few score points for
Nagasu and Rippon, Then to let an Ice dance team that will most likely score the same
amount of points as the Shibs get a deserved Olympic medal

I guess it's nice that Rippon could be a Gay athlete winning bronze at the Olympics
But then again, Eric Radford is just about to be a Gay Olympic champion, So...

Sorry, but :laugh: that it’s about Adam. I really don’t think so.

IMHO, it is all about Nathan, the darling of the Nathan Broadcasting Co.;). He is saving himself for the hopes of an individual medal. We will see how that works:scratch3:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
To give WP the chance to medal, and to give them the edge for the individual even. Not a good enough reason to take that risk? Apparently not

And if W\P have another twizzle problem and finish 4th and Canada lose their Gold?

I'm all for Weaver and Poje getting a ton of medals :luv17: but how do you justify that to the rest of the team?

Sorry, but :laugh: that it’s about Adam. I really don’t think so.

IMHO, it is all about Nathan, the darling of the Nathan Broadcasting Co.;). He is saving himself for the hopes of an individual medal. We will see how that works:scratch3:

LOL, so true!! Apparently they haven't learned anything from the way they hyped Gracie in 2014. The poor kid noticed the pressure he's under, probably thanks in large part to NBC. I wish they'd lay off him until his performances are over! Ugh...

synteis

Medalist
I really think it should have been Mirai short, Bradie long
but if Mirai hits everything amazingly, including her 3A.... that might be bye-bye to Kostner and even Daleman, perhaps even Sakamoto
I'm so torn

But skating the same music as Med would only have decreased her PCS more plus Bradie had music which they hoped would help the crowd fall in love with her thus boosting her PCS.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
LOL, so true!! Apparently they haven't learned anything from the way they hyped Gracie in 2014. The poor kid noticed the pressure he's under, probably thanks in large part to NBC. I wish they'd lay off him until his performances are over! Ugh...

I hope he doesn't end up like Gracie in Boston, though.