2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I agree with Blades of Passion with the strange "too tired" excuse for not picking the same skater(s) for both the short and the long in the team events because they might be too exhausted to take on the individual events. Unless we're talking about the pairs individual events which take place about two days after the team event (though they get an extra day since the pairs free was yesterday), the other events are scheduled anywhere from 4-8 days from the end of the team event.

That's plenty of time to recover and do some light training. These athletes should be at peak condition at the Olympics and sustaining that for about a week shouldn't be that strenuous for them given that they don't have to travel anywhere and just enjoy the Olympic village while they are saving their energy.

Emilia12

Rinkside
Weaver and Poje won't be able to get all those medals because their Federation is refusing to support them. Now a great skaters who contributed hugely for many years to Canadian skating are left out only because Skate Canada aren't willing to take the risk

nocturnalis

Medalist
Weaver and Poje won't be able to get all those medals because their Federation is refusing to support them. Now a great skaters who contributed hugely for many years to Canadian skating are left out only because Skate Canada aren't willing to take the risk

Weaver and Poje being a risk is entirely their own fault.

ericka141

On the Ice
I agree with Blades of Passion with the strange "too tired" excuse for not picking the same skater(s) for both the short and the long in the team events because they might be too exhausted to take on the individual events. Unless we're talking about the pairs individual events which take place about two days after the team event (though they get an extra day since the pairs free was yesterday), the other events are scheduled anywhere from 4-8 days from the end of the team event.

That's plenty of time to recover and do some light training. These athletes should be at peak condition at the Olympics and sustaining that for about a week shouldn't be that strenuous for them given that they don't have to travel anywhere and just enjoy the Olympic village while they are saving their energy.

Agreed...this shouldn't even be an argument at all. At this stage in their training these athletes are doing full program run-throughs MULTIPLE times per week.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
the medal is for skaters not for federation
today skate Canada shown they are not willing to support anyone but the national champions, again..
My heart really goes out for the #2 Canadian skaters who were told today by their federation that they are not worthy to represent their country, that they don't trust them and don't support them

So it all comes down to W/P for you and your outrage? Skate Canada has many skaters to support and consider and they can't take the risk for the nation and the skaters who have contributed even more than W/P to Canadian skating.

W/P are there at the Olympics and it's now up to them to bring it to win a medal.

ChanClan

On the Ice

Look, I'm gutted for Weapo too but considering that VM are basically guaranteed to get 10 points and Weapo really haven't been all that consistent this season, VM are the better and smarter choice. Also considering that both Patrick and Gabby could end up in last, those 10 points in ID are crucial. So it's not really about Skate Canada not supporting Weapo, it's more that they haven't really given SC a reason to trust that they can go out there and 100% beat those other 3 teams to get those 10 points.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think the math is very simple. W/P could win, but they could end up as low as fourth, which Canada certainly can't have if they want to win.

Emilia12

Rinkside
It's exactly about Skate Canada not supporting their skaters
I could definitely live with the fact that WP didn't made the team because Canada used their substitute option elsewhere, the fact that they are out solely based on the fact that their federation is not willing to let them compete is pissing me off
They are a strong competitors and they have a very strong FD that scores very well. Skating clean they can beat everyone including the Shibutanis.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It's exactly about Skate Canada not supporting their skaters
I could definitely live with the fact that WP didn't made the team because Canada used their substitute option elsewhere, the fact that they are out solely based on the fact that their federation is not willing to let them compete is pissing me off
They are a strong competitors and they have a very strong FD that scores very well. Skating clean they can beat everyone including the Shibutanis.

They are strong but unrealiable. That was proven a bunch of times, including Nationals. They can be beat by three teams in the final, which V/M can't. That's the sole reason for them not to compete.

GGFan

Record Breaker
They are strong but unrealiable. That was proven a bunch of times, including Nationals. They can be beat by three teams in the final, which V/M can't. That's the sole reason for them not to compete.

Exactly. I hate when federations engineer things like they did with the men's at U.S. Nationals but once you have your spot in individuals nothing is guaranteed in the team. It's about the medal, not the more the merrier. V/M and W/P are not interchangeable so I do not see any controversy. The U.S. situation where the national champions were passed over (though I get the reasoning) is more controversial as far as I'm concerned.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Besides..you could make the argument that G/P were second at nationals, not W/P and if anyone should get the spot it is them.

Maybe, if SC felt it could trust Patrick to win or be at least 2nd they would sub in W/P but they can't and the women's field is too deep and Gabby could come last.

And I really think the Shibs and B/S would beat W/P (maybe even C/L).

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
This

Where did this notion that Mirai has the highest scoring potential in the FS come from ?

Is it her "3A" ?
Bradie just scored 137 a couple months ago, Mirai's all time PB is 132
and she rarely gets that high of a score

This. I looove Mirai, but I think people are gonna be disappointed because I doubt she will get a huge score even if she’s clean. I would have made her skate the SP tbh.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

You have to factor in the adrenaline of competing twice back to back (at the most pressure-filled competition of them all), and being surrounded by so many people including media every day from morning until night, without a lot of time to decompress. I don't think anyone is able to just chill and relax completely before their events are over. There's also more risk of injury if you do both events.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You guys, I have MORE TOILET DRAMA TO REPORT. I repeat: SARAHSYNCHRO HAS MORE TOILET ISSUES.

Man-friend is installing a new bathroom in the basement of his house. He just got the new walk-in shower working last night, and this morning he put in the toilet. He went downstairs about 20 minutes ago after having lunch to find that the new toilet bowl cracked, and there’s water everywhere.

This is the second time in under 48 hours I’ve had to mop up a bathroom floor; third if you want to count cleaning up after my dog left a surprise in the hallway last night during the ladies event. :palmf:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
This. I looove Mirai, but I think people are gonna be disappointed because I doubt she will get a huge score even if she’s clean. I would have made her skate the SP tbh.

Yep. With SP, a clean 3A could truly tip the scales. On the other hand, in the FS it gets diluted by all the other potential mistakes. When we also consider Bradie's consistency and how that's far more useful in the FS where skaters will on average make more mistakes, I find this choice puzzling.

To be honest, several countries have made SP - FS choices for ladies that I've completely disagreed with(Japan, USA are obvious ones).

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You guys, I have MORE TOILET DRAMA TO REPORT. I repeat: SARAHSYNCHRO HAS MORE TOILET ISSUES.

Man-friend is installing a new bathroom in the basement of his house. He just got the new walk-in shower working last night, and this morning he put in the toilet. He went downstairs about 20 minutes ago after having lunch to find that the new toilet bowl cracked, and there’s water everywhere.

This is the second time in under 48 hours I’ve had to mop up a bathroom floor; third if you want to count cleaning up after my dog left a surprise in the hallway last night during the ladies event. :palmf:

You really are living in a sitcom, aren't you? Is there a nosy/creepy neighbour around?

Alifyre

On the Ice
I must admit while I get that competing close together isn't ideal... at least they're staying in the same place. Skaters at the Olympics almost all have Grand Prix experience, which sends them all over the world, sometimes within the span of time in which this Olympic event is being held. While yes, many skaters spread out their GPs to the best of their ability, I feel like being able to compete close back to back has to be part of their regular training with the way the skating season works. And many of the skaters at the GPF (ie, the Russians and Japanese) had their nationals very close after as well. I guess I just really don't get why suddenly this event gets a rep as being "too much."