2018 Quebec Summer Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Quebec Summer Skate

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Just in time. Good to see F-B/S back and looking so sharp! Great score, 73.94.

They have to sit out for one year from last Euros, I believe. So eligible for 4CC and Worlds.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When will Laurence and Nikolaj be eligible for international assignments? Beginning with 4CC if they place well at Nationals? They're looking good, Laurence is sultry as heck in this tango.
Yeah, I believe they're eligible for Four Continents (I think Skate Canada should send the third-place team at Nationals to Worlds and the fourth-place team to Four Continents, since they have a vested interest in developing both of these teams' international standing over the next 2 years).

Very nice transition choreography between the first and second sets of twizzles.

EDIT: 73.94 for Lolo and Nik.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Lauriault/Le-Gac's program starts reaaallly good, but I think the transition to Roxie and then back to Cell Block Tango is too disjointed. But the opening Cell Block Tango sequence is :points: Lift isn't working for me; too much a Carmen-lite. But we'll see if it grows on me, or if they make it more standout.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lauriault/Le Gac: Intricate choreography, to be sure, and nicely executed. I do think there should be more, well, anger in a performance to "Cell Block Tango".

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lauriault/Le Gac look good, but I'm not totally on board with the RD yet -- The "All That Jazz" part makes it a bit disjointed. I feel like it's kind of a "jazz break!" in an intense tango. I like the use of Cell Block Tango and there's an opportunity to do something different but still stay true to the dance. We'll see how it develops!

Lauriault/Le-Gac's program starts reaaallly good, but I think the transition to Roxie and then back to Cell Block Tango is too disjointed. But the opening Cell Block Tango sequence is :points: Lift isn't working for me; too much a Carmen-lite. But we'll see if it grows on me, or if they make it more standout.

Great minds...

I agree with your thought on the lift -- it was the first thing I thought of.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Eh, I think they got lowballed a bit. Not saying they should have been ahead of F-B/S, but that wasn't ten points inferior.

EDIT: Okay, the Bulgarians win the "most eye-catching element thus far" award.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Eh, I think they got lowballed a bit. Not saying they should have been ahead of F-B/S, but that wasn't ten points inferior.

Agree. Marie Jade and Romain were smooth as butter, just think they need to rework the middle/end.

Edit: Also agree re: Bulgarians. GREAT lift. (Hold? It's a standout, whatever it is.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ooooh I like Carolane and Shane's RD! I love that they took a more modern/electronic version of the tango. The costume/styling looks very modern and fresh too.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They (L/LG) looked a little unsure to me on some moves - that was the biggest difference I noticed between them and FB/S. I suppose that would have affected their performance scores too. 2nd was definitely right. For the gap to be that big, they probably lost a couple levels.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Good effort from S/F but I wasn't really feeling it (don't really like the music either). I enjoyed F-B/S much better. It's very interesting that they are facing each other this early, considering they are the two perspective 3rd/4th teams. Score: 73.07. Just 0.87 behind F-B/S.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Soucisse/Firus: Ooh, nice music choice. That seems like it'll stand out as we slog through this whole tango season.

Be interested to see where they get placed compared to F-B/S. The race for bronze at Nationals is on!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They're practically tied with F-B/S! Definitely a contender for that bronze!

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Soucisse/Firus: Ooh, nice music choice. That seems like it'll stand out as we slog through this whole tango season.

Be interested to see where they get placed compared to F-B/S. The race for bronze at Nationals is on!

Just barely behind F-B/S. Race is on indeed!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly I think it's smart for Carolane/Shane to take a different approach. Laurence and Nikolaj can do the straight tango so well because they have great chemistry (loved their Flamenco program from last year). I think it's good that Carolane/Shane can stand out in a different way by doing the modern approach.

Last edited:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Anyone else get annoyed at how they turned the stream off during the warm-up and also I think they never showed the third group of junior RDs?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The results are posted. Alaine lost the L as it was 2L, and got DG for T. I thought it was slightly UR, but they have better position...Poor Alaine is only 5th.

I didn't watch the ladies but it's good at least to see that she's attempting the 3Lz-3T early in the season and putting the 3Lo in the second half. Also, looks like Veronik had a great skate today. It's been a while since she competed so a good start on the comeback trail from her.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Wow, Nic! That 3A-3T was sky high.

Twofooted the 4T and second 3A, but landed. Popped a flip.

Umm ... I think i kind of hate the music but Nic has always got the swagger and rockstar commitment to pull it off. Ahahaha I don't even care by the end of it, Nic's too charming for the music to bother me too much.

Edit: I was worried about missing his Elvis program, but I think this one is going to grow on me.