2018 Skate Canada Ladies Free Skate | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Ladies Free Skate

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Did not watch all of them, basically just Med, Wakaba, and Tuk with glimpses of others. Wakaba was mostly just excecuting her program, no performance to speak of. Hope it will get better later in the season coz despite the warhorse of all warhorses, the choreo showed some promise. Tuk's forte are her jumps, some of them quite spectacular, but she has very little else to offer.

Tango is really meant for two and I have always really disliked single skater tangos. It is hard to get the vibe and the movement going when you are on your own. Med's tango contains fairly little tango so far, the sharpness and finish is not there - i hope I can add "yet" there. Her new adult face is grim and it fits this program for the most part, but am not convinced. Satoko last week made me like her tango, Med left me lukewarm or even cold. I have liked her in the past despite the too-packed programs which have not let air and finishing movement into the performance. The storytelling has suited her, but am curious to see will she really be able to get on top of either of the Wilson choreos.

E

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Mako should have won the free IMO. It was the best skated program of the night.
Can't understand how her flip can get an e but Medcedeva's first lutz just a !

The first 3Lz was on a clear inside edge for sure. But it’s done at the “blind spot.” It’s unlikely to get an e, just like in the past.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Caught up with the ladies, thoughts:

- Yay for Zhenya spectacularly making up for her short program :hap10: She did seem more focused on her jumps than presentation, but she's starting to express the fire and dynamic the music requires. She's growing as she said she wanted to, Davai Zhenya!

- Liza T's sass is charming as expected. While she wasn't clean I did enjoy her performance, so no qualms about her winning here.

- Woah, Yamashita Mako was on fire. Compared to last season where she was going closer to the traditional portrayal of Madame Butterfly (her expressions were of the light variety still, though), I think this warm, serene portrayal works better for her. Great skate deserving of that medal.

- Somebody please get Mariah Bell consistent, she's a delight if she isn't falling. Loved her dress, her movements, and her expressions. Just those jumps.

- Higuchi Wakaba is better than that. I personally don't dig the program, but my tastes aside she just seemed so nervous and stiff. Hope she deals with her injuries and does as she can at her second GP.

- Alaine Chatrand is picking up, good for her and Canadian ladies.

- Elizabet Tursynbaeva was off than expected, did the Eteri magic temporarily wear off?

- Starr Andrews is either prone to nerves or in need of work on her jumps. She sold it better than SA at least.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The first 3Lz was on a clear inside edge for sure. But it’s done at the “blind spot.” It’s unlikely to get an e, just like in the past.

However, Orser said to Phil Hersh that he won't put the lutz in a corner....i see that.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Medvedeva was the class of the night. with a complex and beautifully skated program but what about the two music choices for her. the first doesnt suit her and the second is very hard to connec t to. what do you think?

I think that this program doesn't deserve the same PCS than Miyahara's.

katymay

Medalist
Medvedeva was the class of the night. with a complex and beautifully skated program but what about the two music choices for her. the first doesnt suit her and the second is very hard to connec t to. what do you think?

I hope next year they enlist Shae Lynn Bourne, or perhaps the Zimmerman team that did Aymorz's program. And the same goes for Zagitova, not a fan of either of her programs either.

katymay

Medalist
Agree that Liza's SP GOEs were underscored, not just 3A but all jumps. Liza has huge jumps with great technique, but so does Mako; I'd say in the FS her jumps were on par with Liza's best. Mako's GOEs I believe were underscored; 2's and 3's are too little for those jumps. I think she should have won.

When I saw the GOE for her first jump-the L combo...I sighed. So, this is the way this is going to go.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I'm fine with the podium here, though Mako and Liza should switch places imo. In terms of components, I would've had Mako > Mariah/Evgenia >> Liza. Also I'm not feeling Evgenia's FS, but I still find her compelling to watch. I love her competitive drive and intensity!

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Am I the only one who thought Mako had the best SS by far? Beautiful flow! I get that she doesn’t have as much variety but to me it was so enjoyable to watch her flying across the ice with so much ease. Her FS is so much better than the SP and I like the new dress. Her jumps are great, just the Lip is a real issue but her 3Lz3T is sooooo big! Very impressive! If she works on her Interpretation and Transitions, she could be a real full package! I love how she smiles when landing the jumps and you know she’s gonna land them!

Congratulations to Daria for doing so much better in the Free, that was more like her! Not perfect, but she pulled it together as well as she could, good for her!

Yura also had a more enjoyable FS although the choreography was not great, but still, I enjoyed it more than the SP.

Tuktamysheva was great, too bad for the 3A! Was it downgraded? The 3Lz is beautiful! The presentation is meh and I get this funny feeling she is a little tiny bit overscored in PCS but maybe I’m just crazy.

I’m sad for Wakaba, that was tough! Both her programs look unfinished, I think they should get to work and get some transitions, some choreography done, create some moments. You cannot go from Skyfall to that, just no! Above all, I just hope she doesn’t make her injury worse. [emoji24]

Evgenia was great! Happy she got on the podium in the end.

Also, I have to say I like Starr Andrews’ program - in my mind. Like, I can see how that program was supposed to be and it is really amazing! Unfortunately, she just doesn’t have the skills yet. I like the choice of music and she sells it as much as she can. Her Layback is everything!!!! Beautiful!

I loved this Ladies event! It was interesting and exciting! Unexpected results, sure, but not really THAT unexpected. It was great! [emoji122]

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Daria PANENKOVA: redemption skate for her! I’m hoping she can get it together in the future.

Evgenia MEDVEDEVA: it’s so good to see her fighting spirit all over her face. I love her dress her program not so much, it’s hard for me like a tango this season. Anyway congratulations on her bronze (I wanted her to get silver here for my predictions sake XD but I guess she gave it to me)

Wakaba HIGUCHI: she isn’t well and it shows, she struggled a lot and fought for every jump. I hope she gets better soon.

Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA: she is probably one of the best technician in the field when she is on, her 3lutz is huuuuge! Shame on that fall on the 3a, but a totally clean liza wouldn’t be our liza, right? xD She lacks of interpretation though, her choreography looks like a series of set ups for her jumps, some spins and nothing more. Anyway, congratulations on her 3rd gold of the season and first on the grand prix.

Mako YAMASHITA: she is a such lovely and talented skater, but I can’t forgive her for having repeatedly committed such a crime against music, this madama butterfly is just slightly better than Rossini nightmare.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A little story from Peas to you guys: When I was 16-7 I really wanted to have Ekaterina Gordeeva as my Russian best friend. It was '88 so the cold war and all but I still thought she was the sweetest and most wonderful skater I had ever seen. I think if I was 18 now I would want Liza to be my Russian best friend. I'd probably be a try hard and get her to tweet me back or something.

I have always liked her but do not know her as a person. I would love to sit down and have a beer with her. If she did indeed sent out a tweet that said something to the effect , "Sorry to ruin your Predictions" maybe something was lost in translation or culture, but that's a bit cheeky and not what I would call gracious. I have no idea what her relationship is with EM, but if I was competing in my sport and someone said that, it wouldnt be taken well by the other competitors...just sayin'
Other than that, congrats to her and she won fair and square....good for her. But I fear her success and glory will not last long with the class of jumping experts coming up behind her.....the world of skating will be a lesser place without her.

shan22044

On the Ice
Higuchi's FS really butchered The Four Seasons. Especially the first part.
Beautiful costume though!

Joekaz

On the Ice
Higuchi's FS really butchered The Four Seasons. Especially the first part.
Beautiful costume though!
She has had an injury to her foot and it obviously has affected her training. She hasn't looked ready for the season during the early competitions this last month either. I have a feeling that after last year's experience she isn't too concerned with grand prix season and is concentrating on peaking for nationals. She's a little young to take that approach but last year was tough on her emotionally.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Agree that Liza's SP GOEs were underscored, not just 3A but all jumps. Liza has huge jumps with great technique, but so does Mako; I'd say in the FS her jumps were on par with Liza's best. Mako's GOEs I believe were underscored; 2's and 3's are too little for those jumps. I think she should have won.

It's never as much as Liza, and the reason is because judges don't know the rules. Some of them thinks that transitions are even more important than the jump itself and that's why you can see random -1 for amazing jumps like her 3a, or her 3lutz receiving only +1s.

ISU made it clear how GOE should be given, and based on that Liza should always get +2 / +3 at least, because up to +3 it's not about the transitions, it's only judging the jump itself, the body position or the height and distance and these are the major bullets, so more important than steps and creative entries.

This video explains it really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguK7uKCWiQ

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'm finding the music choices with some of the skaters ( not just women) to be a nit sketchy. One being Mariah Bell's FS.. I just dont understand it. To me she lacked any interpretation to her program. I found my self checking my sports scores apps on my phone during her performance. Another one with a music choice I am having trouble with is Elizaveta's FS.. Its a cute song and fun to listen to but she had no connection to it. Its like she was going through the motions of another program to only that music. Definitely the reason for her PCS scores in interpretation were only 7.75 by more than a few judges (Apparently judge #4 thought it was a home run putting it at a 9.00 lol) Also can I just say with the women doing a 3A.. of you do it.. fine, thats fantastic but can you please not set up for an entire 5 plus seconds. Id love to see some substance happen before the jump. To me when you set up that element for so long you're already taking away any hope of a real good positive GOE because you're taking away from the programs flow and interpretation.

I like the fact Alaine is showing she has some fight in her programs this year. Id really like her coaching team to start building her program to a higher standard and having more transitions in it, more feeling, more personality. Right now I feel like shes so focused on getting some clean programs under her belt, shes forgotten about everything else. Her PCS total score was only 58 points. Medvedeva is around 70. I really think Alaine has the skills to do bring up her PCS to at least 64-67 this year.

Country
Russia
What a contrast to Skate America, where all three medalists were clean and solid.
Sorry but Ladies Medalists of this Event all are of sort "who mistakes less".

Hope they will earn stability in future.