2018 US Championships Sr Men SP | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men SP

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Again, this myth that Hanyu has superior skating skills. They're good, like 8-range, but they're not even at Shoma level, much less Chan level.

Chan is clearly the best until he retires. However, Yuzu's skating skills are pretty good. Not Chan level, but then again, no one in the mens field is Chan level. There's a reason I listed him first.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think they called it. It would be crazy inflation on the most ridiculous of levels to give a 93 to a quadless skater who only did a messy 2A instead of a triple.

Adam's 96 is silly as well but at least he was clean as a whistle and its nationals so there is some excuse. Jason not so much then

Yeah, you're right, it seems like it wasn't called... I just thought his GOE was so high on everything else that he still managed a huge tech score with a 3A<.

I'm a big Jason Brown fan, but like everyone else who could plainly see, Jason should be behind Grant and sub 90.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, that's a wrap. Top 5 is as I was hoping it would be, although I do think Grant and Jason should be switched points-wise. I'd love for Grant to make the Olympic team... but... I'm so torn! Grant and Jason, I love them both! But if Grant has a good skate tomorrow that'll be at least another 4CC and probably another Worlds for him, which would be a fantastic way to retire.

readernick

Medalist
Again, this myth that Hanyu has superior skating skills. They're good, like 8-range, but they're not even at Shoma level, much less Chan level.
I respectfully disagree. He has difficult transitions, wonderful edges, and speed. Chan is better. But, is anyone else? Shoma and Kolyada might be at the same level? Jason is great but does not quite have the same speed (his edges are wonderful).

But, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. The judges and most fans don't agree.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I honestly don't understand all the hype around Rippon. Maybe if that's the skating style you prefer, sure. His style is not my cup of tea, and he is not competitive with top men who have quads. He's like a male version of Ashley that skates around looking like a diva. Not fair to skaters like Chen, (and now most recently) Zhou and internationally Hanyu, Shoma who skate their butts of trying to push the limits of the sport while still remaining elegant and refined.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
ooohh the stress of it all!! Adam is 41/2 minutes from becoming an Olympian!!

I don't want to jinx him, but he is HUNGRY to be on that team. Like he looked ready to burn the house down with his sass and take no prisoners. He will get on that team through sheer determination.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Guys! I am super excited to start attending the competition tomorrow night but I'm gonna miss commenting along you guys this weekend :(:cry:

Well a DETAILED apres-event post would be most welcome. It really is a great audience--at least tonight's was--so it would be fun to get an eyewitness account.

Good Lord, I've turned green! And it's so not my color!

Have a wonderful time.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I love Jason but the caller has to be consistent and the 3axel was visible to the entire world to see that it was under. He should have been at 89 at highest. Shame for Grant

I've always said Jason was a USFSA golden boy and that they back him big time. They will hold him up and put on the team unless he implodes and makes it impossible for them to do so. This pretty much shows it

He didn't show a quad and he has a completely unreliable 3A (that was clearly ur here) why they didn't dump him like they did with Ashley on Wednesday is beyond me. Grant was robbed!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I honestly don't understand all the hype around Rippon. Maybe if that's the skating style you prefer, sure. His style is not my cup of tea, and he is not competitive with top men who have quads. He's like a male version of Ashley that skates around looking like a diva. Not fair to skaters like Chen, (and now most recently) Zhou and internationally Hanyu, Shoma who skate their butts of trying to push the limits of the sport while still remaining elegant and refined.

Yup. He's a great performer but when you remove that, his program is very empty and there are many, many more complex ones. Jason's for one. But it's Nationals and when they shoved themselves in the corner by giving Zhou 42...

TCAngel18

Medalist
I respectfully disagree. He has difficult transitions, wonderful edges, and speed. Great posture. Chan is better. But, is anyone else? Shoma and Kolyada might be at the same level? Jason is great but does not quite have the same speed (his edges are wonderful).

But, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. The judges and most fans don't agree.

Yes to all of this except posture. Yuzu skates bent over a LOT, and pumps his back often.

da96103

Record Breaker
Jimmy Ma beat Max Aaron?

Oh my Aaron is spiraling down a slippery slope of skating salchows.