2018 US Championships Sr Men SP | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men SP

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Definitely looked UR, but the announcer said they didn't call it. The score though suggests they did nail him for it.

Excellent performance but just not his best SP. Still the best I've seen him perform it, and it's come a long way.

I don't think they called it. It would be crazy inflation on the most ridiculous of levels to give a 93 to a quadless skater who only did a messy 2A instead of a triple.

Adam's 96 is silly as well but at least he was clean as a whistle and its nationals so there is some excuse. Jason not so much then

readernick

Medalist
Huh? What about Vincent? Don't count him out! He has a good chance to be ahead of Jason in the free program.

50/50. Jason has higher average long program scores this year. Jason's highest is 176.87. Vincent's highest is 176.43. It could happen but Vincent would have the deliver the entire program without falling or under-rotating. I have no problem with either being sent. It just depends on who delivers in the long. In a way, Jason is the safer choice because international judges love him, he rarely bombs at big events, and he is more like to preserve 3 spots. But, Vincent would a nice statement for the future. Either is fine. But, I would say it is 65/35 that Jason will be sent.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johnny went on a rant about how they didn't because he has reputation...

Whether it was because of reputation or not, it was clearly an improper call. And Johnny’s point about it being unfair to the rest of the field is on point.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Nah, Jason skates circles around everyone in this field. In terms of pure skating (spins, footwork, edges, etc.), I would say he is the 3rd/4th best skater in the world, depending on the day. (Chan, Hanyu, Shoma, and Jason)

Jason's spins and footwork are clearly better than everyone in the US Nationals field (in terms of edging and flow and difficulty).

Again, this myth that Hanyu has superior skating skills. They're good, like 8-range, but they're not even at Shoma level, much less Chan level.

Nathan13

Medalist
Adam could actually pull off the win here. If Nathan's pattern of a sloppy free continues and Adam goes clean (i.e. Skate America) he could get the gold.

peese

Medalist
I love Jason but the caller has to be consistent and the 3axel was visible to the entire world to see that it was under. He should have been at 89 at highest. Shame for Grant

TCAngel18

Medalist
Nah, Jason skates circles around everyone in this field. In terms of pure skating (spins, footwork, edges, etc.), I would say he is among the best skaters in the world, depending on the day. (Chan, Hanyu, Shoma, and Jason)

Jason's spins and footwork are clearly better than everyone in the US Nationals field (in terms of edging and flow and difficulty).

I would say Adam is his spinning equal, save for that Half Biellmann position, but footwork and edge quality, Definitely.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I love Jason but the caller has to be consistent and the 3axel was visible to the entire world to see that it was under. He should have been at 89 at highest. Shame for Grant

I'm going to have to agree as much as I love Jason, too.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It's been a while for me to see Tomoki. Although his jumps were off today, I wish to see a clean performance from him because the music and choreography are very unique and intriguing. I love the dramatic costume with green touches too. Is it an Irish dance themed?

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Whoo. Can breathe now that Jason's skated. Engaging performance as usual, but he needs that triple axel. I think he got lucky with the judging. Grant should have been ahead, perhaps even in second. Hoping for a clean long from Jason.

Lissy

Medalist
Guys! I am super excited to start attending the competition tomorrow night but I'm gonna miss commenting along you guys this weekend :(:cry: