2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

theharleyquinn

Medalist
The system to qualify for Nationals needs change. The thought of Mai not being able to go to Nationals (if she's healthy) because of this, especially when she has GP and 4CC medals and a Universiade gold from last season, is ridiculous.

GlitterIce

Rinkside
So sad about Mai! Really hope she recovers soon and is able to compete later this season. I've always had a soft spot for her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The system to qualify for Nationals needs change. The thought of Mai not being able to go to Nationals (if she's healthy) because of this, especially when she has GP and 4CC medals and a Universiade gold from last season, is ridiculous.

They will probably change it when someone will medal at GPs, qualify for GPF, medal at GPF but can't compete at nats because he/she was sick during regionals....

lusterfan

Final Flight
Ironically, this reminds me of Japanese gymnast Mai Murakami. Reigning silver medalist who could not make the Worlds team because of an early season injury, when selection competitions were happening. She's healthy and easily top 5 in the world right now, but the Japanese federation's strict selection guidelines prevent her from even trying to qualify.

Hopefully Japanese federations add in some flexibility into their selection guidelines for situations like these :(

Given how Wakaba/Mako/Marin look, and Satoko's UR troubles, Mai had a legitimate shot for Worlds this year if she recovered in time!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Ironically, this reminds me of Japanese gymnast Mai Murakami. Reigning silver medalist who could not make the Worlds team because of an early season injury, when selection competitions were happening. She's healthy and easily top 5 in the world right now, but the Japanese federation's strict selection guidelines prevent her from even trying to qualify.

Hopefully Japanese federations add in some flexibility into their selection guidelines for situations like these :(

Given how Wakaba/Mako/Marin look, and Satoko's UR troubles, Mai had a legitimate shot for Worlds this year if she recovered in time!
Ridiculous.
Even South Korea selection rules are like that. I remember in olympic season some skaters had to skate injured at selection competitions. Because not competing means 0 chance to get 4CC/worlds/Olympic spots.
Ridiculous.

I take back my words about when they will change the rules. If they are ready to leave a worlds medalist, the strongest athlete off team...

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Ridiculous.
Even South Korea selection rules are like that. I remember in olympic season some skaters had to skate injured at selection competitions. Because not competing means 0 chance to get 4CC/worlds/Olympic spots.
Ridiculous.

I take back my words about when they will change the rules. If they are ready to leave a worlds medalist, the strongest athlete off team...

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I think they would.

liv

Record Breaker
I find it kind of odd that athletes who have repeatedly proven capable of getting on international podiums even have to go to regional competitions... even just last year Mai had a podium at a GP event, podium at 4CC, won Universiade...and is 8th currently in the World standings... it's not like she's scraping her way from the bottom in order to go to Nationals... there should be some way that illness/injury is taken into account when making decisions... she was even on the poster for Japanese Nationals, lol!!

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Just to clarify: there WERE exceptions in the past that skaters were able to advance to Sectionals without participating in Regionals (provided with formal medical documents) - such as in referring to Koshin Yamada for Sr. men's domestic competitions in 18'-19' season. But at the same time, there might be other reasons (from the skater, from the team, from JSF) to consider. It's still quite positive news that Mai IS skating at the moment (according to Coach Nakano's words). Perhaps she is not yet recovering much enough to compete....keeping positive vibs for Mai (and I don't think it matters as much even if she has to skip 1st half of the season....after all it's not yet into the Olympic season!)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Still trying to figure out how rika’s tech score at JO was less than 80. She landed 2 triple axels and only had one mistake in the program. Did she just not receive a lot of GOE?

MRani

On the Ice
Still trying to figure out how rika’s tech score at JO was less than 80. She landed 2 triple axels and only had one mistake in the program. Did she just not receive a lot of GOE?

She had 7 triples instead of 8 because she took out both of her triple lutzes (due to ankle injury). Plus she had a step out/near fall on the triple loop at the end. Aside from that everything was fully rotated with lots of positive GOE.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I'm a little confused. How is she able to do two 3As and two 3Fs but not a 3Lz? The nature of the injury confuses me. Is it just the left outside part of the foot that hurts? Otherwise, it's not due to the landing (3A is fine), and it's not due to the takeoff foot as the 3F, 3A takeoffs seem fine to me. Could someone more knowledgeable about this enlighten me?

MRani

On the Ice
I'm a little confused. How is she able to do two 3As and two 3Fs but not a 3Lz? The nature of the injury confuses me. Is it just the left outside part of the foot that hurts? Otherwise, it's not due to the landing (3A is fine), and it's not due to the takeoff foot as the 3F, 3A takeoffs seem fine to me. Could someone more knowledgeable about this enlighten me?

I don’t know either, but I am a little worried that the triple lutz still isn’t back yet. She only has a little over 2 weeks until Skate Canada :/

readernick

Medalist

I think her ankle hurts when she does the deep outside edge on the lutz.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

At this point, I wish she would just write off the season and concentrate on getting healthy. That's far more important than any competition this season.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
At this point, I wish she would just write off the season and concentrate on getting healthy. That's far more important than any competition this season.

It's two months until Nationals so I won't make any determination now of whether she'd be healthy enough or not to compete then. But it should be her health rather than this rule that decides whether she competes given her performance last year.