2019 Four Continents Men's Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Men's Short Program

Tutto

Record Breaker
More than his UR not called I am a way more surprised Vincent got level 4 for all his spins and the stq and very generous GOE all round
Location, location I guess
Maybe a response to Samarin's PCS at Euros?

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Watching 'top performances' right now and i must agree with you that Vincent's 4S should be called <. It basically the same 4S Javi had at Europeans and according to the new rules it should be called as a jump which lacks rotation. But maybe this tech panel didn't read the new recommendations. Or they just wanted to be good to him because they are in USA, but i'm pretty sure it wont be like that in Saitama or on a neutral ground :biggrin: All in all, i think all the top skaters were overscored a little bit, but i'm glad competition went without too many jump's mistakes. Very enjoyable to watch overall :clap:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
He's only assistant. Probably dying to get his hands on those URs and DGs.

Any member of TP can call for review. Any two votes determine score. The surprise is not necessarily that he was outvoted but that in there was apparently no review of some skaters.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
(Still catching up)

A lot of lovely jazz covers. Love Nicolas Nadeau, he wins in the handsome competition.

Andrew was a-maz-ing.

I don't think that counts towards the scores. But he has had some enjoyable programs to watchlooks or otherwise.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Brendan Kerry's haircut is the best of all the men!

His hair, Donovan's smile & Andrew Dodd's charm can easily make the podium for me. Another candidates are Jun's bear Tracy held in KnC & Donovan's plushie:)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan has improved so much since I last saw him. He oozes charisma and has such a joy in movement. He makes it look like he's having fun out there. Lots of Mexican flags being waved in the crowd. Don't think he had his 3A last year, so that's a good step for him. Really looking forward to him in the free.

viennaskater

Medalist
Well, it wasn't very good. I've never seen a program where the music seemed so ill suited to the skater.

Why isn't he skating to something cool and rugged? Sugar Plum Fairy? Give me a break.

I dunno. Kudos to him for choosing something we haven't heard a million times. Somehow it works for me. Kindof like "I look sorta butch so I'll choose something which is kinda inappropriate." He looks a little like Samarin.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan has improved so much since I last saw him. He oozes charisma and has such a joy in movement. He makes it look like he's having fun out there. Lots of Mexican flags being waved in the crowd. Don't think he had his 3A last year, so that's a good step for him. Really looking forward to him in the free.

Donovan didn’t have a 3A last year, this is a big moment for him :hap57:

I remember seeing Donovan for the first time at Philly International in 2017 (thanks to @StitchMonkey for telling me to watch for him). I turned to my benchmate and we said in unison “His smile lights up the rink”. It’s the universal reaction to Donovan :)

I am so happy to see him and Andrew D. have breakout skates here:clap:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Donovan was wonderful! But for me the biggest happy surprise was Andrew Dodds - I really enjoyed his skating and it was great that he was so happy! I personally think he was super under marked too - he’s an ice dancer and it clearly showed, but he still was marked in the sixes for SS.

noskates

Record Breaker
Just looked at the Men's SP again. Not a fan of Vincent and I think his scores were really inflated. He skates like a robot. There is no feeling to the music as far as I could see and no personality coming forth. And since Jeremy Abbott did such a masterful job with that music it was difficult for me to watch. There are some programs and music that I find iconic and no one else should even try to skate to it unless they can do it better! Guess I have to agree with Danny T. Shoma - REALLY? I love Shoma but he did not skate as well as his scores indicated. I'm guessing his ankle is bothering him or thinking about his ankle is bothering him. I thought he was really struggling to keep it together. Cha was a delight...and a surprise. Boyang Jin is always fun to watch and makes interesting musical choices. I don't think he skated as well as he has in the past however. Jason. What can I say. That 3A is almost second nature to him. But I'm pleased to see how he's grown into a more mature skater and I think the move to Orser/Wilson was a blessing. I think my biggest WOW was Brendan Kerry. I do think his hair should have its own zip code..... But it was really nice to see him skate so well.

Can hardly wait to see the long programs and see how this all falls out (oops, shouldn't say "fall")

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
finally i catched up with the boys

Nikita MANKO: one thing is sure, in russia they love mozart opera rock (moris made me know it…and now it’s like a guilty pleasure)

Donovan CARRILLO: I love this guy a lot he is such an entertainer! He looks already better than before and he managed to jump 3A. I hope he can find money and improve further, he’s got talent and charisma and could be great.

Nicolas NADEAU: :luv17:

Junhwan CHA: there is another medal waiting for him :hap10:

Shoma UNO: all things considered this wasn't a disaster, i hope he helas properly and keeps killing it on ice.

Boyang JIN: i'm happy to see him in a better shape and far from the boards :biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
- Andrew: This is what I wanted to show you! That was the best I have ever seen him skate, and I've seen some excellent skates from him at Nationals. I was beside myself with joy at the end of the skate and then lost it entirely when his score came up. One down, three to go, more PBs please. (I also find it hilarious that apparently people have been approaching Jordan today and asking for signatures and photographs...and then wishing him luck. :laugh: )

- Brendan: Oh. my. god. I have not seen him hit a toe all week and he landed some butter 4S yesterday...and then...that 4T-3T was so gorgeous I wanted to melt in my seat. I feel like he got ditched a bit much on the score, but at least he kept going after the pop.

Andrew earned himself a new fan last night. And, I repeat myself, but he WAZROBBED.

As far as Brendan. I feel you. It must be something akin to being a Brezina fan like myself. Flashes of intense satisfaction and hope, followed almost immediately by wanting to throw stuff around the room.

Country
Norway
Also just catched up with the SP now, as it went in the middle of the night for me.

What a nice event to watch. Vincent was great, but since I have seen a similiar program with the same music in a FS, I felt somehow that some of the musicediting was a bit wrong. I feel this music is a artpiece which builds up as the song goes forward, with a very dramatic and lovely top in the middle, before it goes quiet again. Cutting it for a SP just didn´t justify the music. So for me, the program wasn´t the greatest, but mostly because I feel it´s a better fit for FS.

Junhwha Cha is a brilliant skater, so fun to watch!

I really loved Boyang Jin SP. I felt I was in a rock concert.

Just to mention some of my favs. Looking forward to the FS!

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saw the men's short on my DVR.

Sad about Jason's missed 3a. I love his program! Hoping for a clean SP and LP at worlds for him.

Congrats to Boyang and Junhwan on their skates!

Shoma......he's skating like he's injured. He needs to step away a bit for healing, and then come back for Worlds.

Vincent in first.....mixed feelings.....he is a great technician, I thought his opening combo was great, his other jumps were UR. Like others here stated, skating between Jason and Keegan did him no favors.

binky

Rinkside
wow! keegan messing is wonderful plain and simple. maybe his jumps were not the greatest but its getting to be (exception javier) a sport for slim men who can rotate instead of the whole package. vincent clearly doesnt get all the way around and at present has very little else going on. I was bored by all of the rotators who did little else and found the korean man, keegan and uno the only men who were not boring to watch. I think the sport is being ruined by the emphasis on rotation over skating! keegan messing youve made me a believer!

readernick

Medalist
More than his UR not called I am a way more surprised Vincent got level 4 for all his spins and the stq and very generous GOE all round
Location, location I guess
Maybe a response to Samarin's PCS at Euros?

Vincent is NA Samarin. I like them both because they seem hardworking but the PCS the judges give them makes me cringe. They also both get high GOE for jumps that they really don’t deserve.