2019 Four Continents Rhythm Dance | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Rhythm Dance

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NONE of the top 4 had perfect levels. Apparently the judges thought that H/D executed their programs better than the others, probably because of those superb skating skills.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
But, W/P ‘s was not a very good skate. They were messy.
The only thing that was messy about their RD was Poje's twizzle, so I wouldn't call them messy overall.

W/P just looked messy in the twizzles and step sequence( how was that L4).
I disagree about the step sequence.

Just to be clear, I am not Canadian. I am from Latvia in Europe (I always feel like I have to explain this when defending Canadian skaters, as so many seem to automatically assume that, if someone likes a Canadian skater/team, they must be Canadian - even (and especially) when it's about such objectively great skaters as Virtue/Moir).

readernick

Medalist
The only thing that was messy about their RD was Poje's twizzle, so I wouldn't call them messy overall.

I disagree about the step sequence.

Just to be clear, I am not Canadian. I am from Latvia in Europe (I always feel like I have to explain this when defending Canadian skaters, as so many seem to automatically assume that, if someone likes a Canadian skater/team, they must be Canadian - even (and especially) when it's about such objectively great skaters as Virtue/Moir).

I didn’t think you were Canadian. Figure skating is not about nationality for me either. I guess I have never been a huge W/P fan. I don’t appreciate them the way some others do and I especially don’t like this program. I thought they skated it well at nationals though.. less well here. So, disagree about the step sequence because I don’t think the turns looked clean. You are welcome to your own opinion. ❤️❤️ And, I did not intend to start nationalistic fights.

Virtue/Moir were my favorites. ( not related to nationality)

Roo87

Medalist
Someday Piper and Paul will be recognized for their greatness... probably in 100 years, when they’re dead and we’re also all dead. Kinda like that painter dude who only got posthumous recognition for his greatness, what was his name again? Vincent VanMajor TomGo?

lol you made me snort....so true. They've been my fav ever since I saw them live at Nationals in 2016.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry all I cannot stay awake anymore to find links...top 6 listed in video thread

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I’m so excited to be attending the FD on Sunday. MGStyle sent her beautiful banner she displayed at Grenoble and I’m taking it to to Anaheim to cheer on Piper & Paul. I’m an artist and fell in love with their Vincent program :love:

How wonderful, I hope you and MGStyle’s banner bring them luck! Thanks to both of you :thank:

readernick

Medalist
NONE of the top 4 had perfect levels. Apparently the judges thought that H/D executed their programs better than the others, probably because of those superb skating skills.

Yes, but Chock/Bates were very close to perfect. Only one level 3. H/D got level 2s on their pattern and step sequence. This would have made a huge difference prior to this year. I really just object to the new scoring system. Because, without levrls ice dance is just opinion and allows national bias to dominate. The difference between a level 1 and level 4 is almost nothing now. Execution should matter. True great skaters V/M for instance, P/C or D/W can/could skate extremely fast and extremely accurately. That should be rewarded. The new system doesn’t reward accuracy. It should. This isn’t about not liking H/D. I like them but they were out skated here.

The American judge agreed with me by the way. He gave C/B and G/P much higher scores 🤔

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I know all this. Chock/Bates still got the most level 4, They were just better than W/P tonight. There elements and performance were superb. W/P looked messy in twizzles and step sequence and should not get such positive GOE in those elements. Chock/Bates were also far better than H/D.

I agree that Andrew's second twizzle was messy due to his bobble. W/P's step sequence looked fine to me. Though since we're on the subject of GOE's, relative to C/B, I think W/P's TR deserves greater than the combined 0.46 points more they received in GOE, as it is seamlessly integrated into their RD, with better lines, smoother changes of hold, and overall better flow. It was clear that C/B was thinking through the pattern but that's understandable because they recently returned to the ice and need the mileage (kudos to them for getting those levels). With that said, I quite enjoyed Chock/Bate's RD and liked how they used the ice in the beginning circular step seq. and the attack they showed in their closing elements.

Virtue/Moir were my favorites. ( not related to nationality)

It was nice to hear Tracy mention on the Nationals broadcast that they helped W/P train the TR during TTYCT :).

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Piper and Paul's rhythm dance finally reached the next level! It had been lacking something thus far.

Madison C and Evan look great and probably much better than before.

Kaitlyn and Andrew felt slightly rushed this time, not as regal as at CanNats.

If Madison H finally got some white boots she'd look like at least 50 times better. These tan boots just destroy her figure.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Mad props to all three Canadian ladies in ID for not wearing red. Wheeee.

Piper looked like a vibrant sunset, with these red accents, Kaitlyn looked like a pearly morning mist in the garden and Laurence was a striking & sparkly midnight sky. Each beautiful in their respective sense.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Piper is the most beautiful woman in this sport.

Finally someone said it, her beauty is so non-obvious yet captivates attention. The most beautiful feature in her for me is raw passion, animation radiating from her face & body, on and off-ice, about what she does. Being passionate adds to the glow :love:

LaArdilla

Medalist
Piper and Paul's rhythm dance finally reached the next level! It had been lacking something thus far.

Madison C and Evan look great and probably much better than before.

Kaitlyn and Andrew felt slightly rushed this time, not as regal as at CanNats.

If Madison H finally got some white boots she'd look like at least 50 times better. These tan boots just destroy her figure.

Unfortunately Madi loves her tan boots and goes to great lengths to wear them (she has to paint them before each competition).
I agree with everything you’ve written.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://cloud.isu.org/index.php/s/oAHUSWXb4Accmbr/download?path=/&files=FC19_QQ_IceDanceRD1.pdf

Quick quotes from the top four teams. If you check in the OPs, these files can be found after each segment under (surprise) Quick Quotes)

madison Chock says they were off the ice 10 months, so not back till a scant month before Torun Cup. :eek:

Madison Hubbell says she felt shaky in the RD
https://www.latimes.com/sports/olym...four-continents-ice-dance-20190208-story.html

Charlene Guignard's dress is good,but Imo the best tattoo style tango dress belongs to Avonley Nguyen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3yMfBgRUSY

Last edited:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Piper is the most beautiful woman in this sport.

She really knows how to dress and present not only herself but Paul too. I mean I assume she comes up with most of the ideas on the costumes.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
She really knows how to dress and present not only herself but Paul too. I mean I assume she comes up with most of the ideas on the costumes.

What's more for me - they/she takes on particular convention/style aesthetic dedicated for a program and align their costumes perfectly, with no overwrought feel to it. They always look striking & original, amping up the interpretation level of their performances, adding that original/design-authentic factor that catches eyes.