2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 473 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Here we go again with the same tired excuse for Liza's subpar scores. None of her jumps were particularly impressive zero flow and no transitions. Her non jump elements were thrash as usual. If she wants better scores then she should improve her transitions, levels, interpretation and choreography.
Excuse me, her jumps are with minimal pre-rotation. How are they not impressive? They are amazing!
Her other elements were great too today!

Gabby30

On the Ice
Here we go again with the same tired excuse for Liza's subpar scores. None of her jumps were particularly impressive zero flow and no transitions. Her non jump elements were thrash as usual. If she wants better scores then she should improve her transitions, levels, interpretation and choreography.
Well, her jumps were still more impressive than Scherbakovas :coffee:

eterialskating

On the Ice
Her non-jump elements were not trash...
I suppose that layback, step sequence and combination spin are considered top notch as long as they fit the narrative... For skaters like Liza as long as they reach the bare minimum some people will extol them to high heavens. The last combo spin was particularly lazy, unsightly, and had no timing.

Last edited:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Was Liza’s flip on the right edge today? I’m sure it has already been pointed out that the 3A deserved an < call (and thus no bonus I assume).

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Her 3A and combo jumps were barely rotated today. I wouldn't call that a showcase of superior technique. Nope far from it.
For some reason people seem to believe that barely rotated jumps means bad takeoff technique. Those two things have no correlation. Liza does have wonderful takeoff technique. And about the whole "no flow" argument, I don't know, I feel like if she's going to be doing a transition out of the triple axel like an inside spread eagle, then flow isn't really necessary. Again, that's very subjective (I think Anna's Euler combo has no flow, others think it is effortless... it all depends on what you see as "flow" and "effortless").

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For some reason people seem to believe that barely rotated jumps means bad takeoff technique. Those two things have no correlation. Liza does have wonderful takeoff technique. And about the whole "no flow" argument, I don't know, I feel like if she's going to be doing a transition out of the triple axel like an inside spread eagle, then flow isn't really necessary. Again, that's very subjective (I think Anna's Euler combo has no flow, others think it is effortless... it all depends on what you see as "flow" and "effortless").

I wouldn't call her axel takeoff technique wonderful, she gets strong power from her legs allowing her to execute it, but doesn't drive through enough with her arms. Her lutz technique though is superb.

I think Liza deserved to be higher than Anna as well, and Anna's PCS was something else (clearly the Russian fed has their fave), but Liza's spins and steps could have been improved, and I actually prefer Anna's lines and refinement even if she is greener. I'm still rooting for her, but by now, Liza really should have way more maturity and refinement in her skating, and much better choreo, but it's the same old.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I suppose that layback, step sequence and combination spin are considered top notch as long as they fit the narrative... For skaters like Liza as long as they reach the bare minimum some people will extol them to high heavens. The last combo spin was particularly lazy, unsightly, and had no timing.
Nobody said they were top notch but they certainly weren't "trash".

Mawwerg

Final Flight
What is the criterion for bonuses for 3A and quads? Is it just positive\non-negative GOE or a jump should also be not called for rotation issues? Can an underrotated jump with +GOE receive bonus points?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Do you think I'm mad? :scratch2: No. I'm just bored :slink: I didn't even read your post to the end. I don’t usually read when I read the same ridiculous and hateful things.:wink:
You're like a cat chasing its tail. ;)

I would rather talk about the competition in Sochi now.

Is Dasha better than anyone ever imagined? that is the question

Scott512

Record Breaker
Can I just say that I loooove Nugumanova's 3Lo+3Lo combo. It is such a cool and beautiful combination to see.
However, again(!), she got it < on both jumps...so strategically, this is not a good combo for her.

But it is sooo cool to see though... :clap:
Wow Little Liza recovered from her leg fracture faster than I did. ")

Whatever happened to Nastya G & nastya T? Are there careers DOA? I had some hope for G after the Russian Cup in February but I gather she hasn't skated since then in any competition. That's a loooooooong time.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Wow Little Liza recovered from her leg fracture faster than I did. ")

Whatever happened to Nastya G & nastya T? Are there careers DOA? I had some hope for G after the Russian Cup in February but I gather she hasn't skated since then in any competition. That's a loooooooong time.
Not only this, Nastya Tarakanova has not even debuted as a senior.

MalAssada

Medalist
Daria makes me somewhat confused. I can see that she's a beautiful skater, but I just don't feel it... Perhaps it has to do with her programs, I do hope she gets some extra attention next year. She is deservedly in the lead, IMO. As for Tuktamysheva and Shcherbakova, eh. I don't think the point difference is large enough to warrant such a debate. The only thing I would change in the scoring in just some extra negativer GOE for Anna's combo, because the turn + the standstill felt distracting. I'd give it a -2, which wasn't very different from what the judges picked. I do think her Lutz edge was better here than at the first stage, though!

I am also thrilled that Liza jumped a 3Lz-3T, even with the 3T being called (deservedly) UR. Can't wait to see what it will mean for her FS, and I hope she goes for the quad if she feels she has a good chance of getting it clean.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Eh, I'm perfectly aware of the difference, thank you very much.

I mentioned young people's autobiographies because it's something not uncommon for an american public person and we have seen skaters who have written theirs at a very young age.

Sasha obviously didn't write or commision this book on herself but it's still strange that such a book is coming out at this point in her life and career.
Not necessarily. Yuzuru's first one came out in 2012 when he was what, 17?

Comes down to if the publishers think people will pay for and read it. They obviously do.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Not necessarily. Yuzuru's first one came out in 2012 when he was what, 17?

Comes down to if the publishers think people will pay for and read it. They obviously do.
Someone mentioned this before, but apparently that book was originally made to raise money for charity, no?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Someone mentioned this before, but apparently that book was originally made to raise money for charity, no?

It was, but the point still remains, especially as it was before he'd made the world podium. Trusova's very young but a known name and a recognisable, entertaining character type, so unless it is pretty dire, people should buy and read it. Publishing is always a crap shoot, but were I in a publisher's marketing division with an eye to the bottom line, of all the young Russian girls I'd probably aim for Medvedeva or Trusova, even though neither is a personal favourite.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
I'm happy for Liza going for the 3A and landing it! Overall, she had a good skate, not perfect, but better than test skates. And I'm glad that they changed her dress too, this one looks better.
She does need to work on getting those levels in spins and stsq., because even if she lands the 3A, it's her first jumping pass, so it doesn't give her such a big TES advantage over a well executed 3-3 combo with second half bonus, especially if that other skater does get all the level 4s and is clean on other jumps.
If it weren't for the Cup bonuses she would be first.

Seeing Anya sad makes me sad. She knew it wasn't her best but she's been super consistent so far and one mistake is no big deal at this point. If I can give one critique it's that if Daria got ! on her lutz, maybe Anya should have gotten one too, as they both seemed flat edge-ish, very slightly out-ish .
I'm sure she'll be fired up in the free. Bring on the quads!

I'm very happy for Dasha, she was the cleanest and it was a well deserved lead. Can't wait to see this program with 3A. I hope the lead gives her a confidence boost for the free.

Status
Not open for further replies.