2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 769 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Yeah agreed. It's not just the triple axel that Aliona needs to get back. It's also her spins, steps, performance, transitions, tripes (other than 3A), etc. Even without the 3A, Aliona can beat Liza, but she needs to get back into performance shape everywhere else. If she does that, even without the 3A, she's v competitive especially considering GOE and PCS.

brakes

On the Ice
2021 Moscow's Novice Championships:

Younger Novices (b. 2010+)

1. Alyona Krivonosova, Moskvich - 193.77
2. Daria Sarymsakova, CSKA - 193.70
3. Alyona Prineva, CSKA - 193.16
4. Elena Kostyleva, "Ice Forum" - 181.13
5. Margarita Bazyliuk, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 180.81
6. Elizaveta Andreyeva, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 175.93

Older Novices (b. 2008-2009)

1. Sofia Titova, Angels of Plushenko - 249.84
2. Sofia Shifrina, Snow Leopards - 241.34
3. Elizaveta Kulikova, CSKA - 239.30
4. Maria Paramonova, CSKA - 235.81
5. Alisa Dvoyeglazova, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 225.49
6. Lyubov Rubtsova, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 221.88

Above top 6 advanced to Russian Novice Championships which take place March 10th-14th.

Decoration: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKW51FypKBv/
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGc9L52zIknEkFUWw6lfPhQ/videos

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
I definitely would have to disagree with the idea that Alena's only issue is her lack of 3A this season. She's not been very good at all for her standards, even outside of it. From steps to spins to interpretation to transitions to steadiness of the jumps... just about every category of hers just isn't there. It's not just 3A. If she were to be put ahead of Tuktamysheva at this point, it'd be due to her last season's achievements only, not her current form... And I don't think that's the way to go, especially in such a competitive environment. Tuktamysheva is actually more proven in her career anyway, with even a world championship title.

If the choice is between them, anyway. However, didn't Nugumanova place ahead of Tuktamysheva? Clearly the correct thing to do is to send Nugumanova to worlds.
Nugumanova did place ahead, but Tut was sick. And little Liza has an UR problem.

katymay

Medalist
2021 Moscow's Novice Championships:

Younger Novices (b. 2010+)

1. Alyona Krivonosova, Moskvich - 193.77
2. Daria Sarymsakova, CSKA - 193.70
3. Alyona Prineva, CSKA - 193.16
4. Elena Kostyleva, "Ice Forum" - 181.13
5. Margarita Bazyliuk, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 180.81
6. Elizaveta Andreyeva, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 175.93

Older Novices (b. 2008-2009)

1. Sofia Titova, Angels of Plushenko - 249.84
2. Sofia Shifrina, Snow Leopards - 241.34
3. Elizaveta Kulikova, CSKA - 239.30
4. Maria Paramonova, CSKA - 235.81
5. Alisa Dvoyeglazova, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 225.49
6. Lyubov Rubtsova, "Khrustalnyi" Sambo-70 - 221.88

Above top 6 advanced to Russian Novice Championships which take place March 10th-14th.

Decoration: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKW51FypKBv/
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGc9L52zIknEkFUWw6lfPhQ/videos
Hard to believe how tiny they all three are. Just big jumps...such tiny girls.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Speaking of the winner of the younger age Moscow championships:

How amazing is Alena Krivonosova, 10 years of age?

The skating skills are so good, the way she performs difficult turns like counters and rockers with perfect control of her upper body while performing choreo leaves even almost all the Russian senior skaters to shame. Very effortless difficult entries to jumps without losing essentially any speed, and look at her two combinations in the step sequence for example. Just about every other skater looked like they were skating in mud in comparison to her. Very expressive, does motions with the entire body, facial expressions. And how about the arm movements? So much detail, no flailing around at all. Multiple fantastic sequences.

Also worth mentioning, jumping. Toe picking, correct edge on Lutz, minimal pre-rotation and no blade assist at all - this is what's so important nowadays isn't it. The toe loop is also toe picked with minimal pre-rotation. No 3-3 combination right now, but the progress from last year is insane, her jumps don't even look small anymore.

What's interesting is that she's from the same school as Kamila Valieva, and she's about 4 years younger than her - In fact, she's a June 2010 birthday, meaning she'll just barely make the cutoff for 2026 Olympics, if one wants to consider such things at this point in time.

sparklestan

On the Ice

The skating skills are so good, the way she performs difficult turns like counters and rockers with perfect control of her upper body while performing choreo leaves even almost all the Russian senior skaters to shame. Very effortless difficult entries to jumps without losing essentially any speed, and look at her two combinations in the step sequence for example. Just about every other skater looked like they were skating in mud in comparison to her. Very expressive, does motions with the entire body, facial expressions. And how about the arm movements? So much detail, no flailing around at all. Multiple fantastic sequences.

Also worth mentioning, jumping. Toe picking, correct edge on Lutz, minimal pre-rotation and no blade assist at all - this is what's so important nowadays isn't it. The toe loop is also toe picked with minimal pre-rotation. No 3-3 combination right now, but the progress from last year is insane, her jumps don't even look small anymore.

What's interesting is that she's from the same school as Kamila Valieva, and she's about 4 years younger than her - In fact, she's a June 2010 birthday, meaning she'll just barely make the cutoff for 2026 Olympics, if one wants to consider such things at this point in time.
I love little Alena’s skating!! Her performance and presentation are so advanced for someone so young, and as you mentioned her skating skills are just lovely! Last year her jumps seemed a bit out of control, but this year they are a lot neater. I’m excited to see how her skating grows and develops over the next few years!

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
If the choice is between them, anyway. However, didn't Nugumanova place ahead of Tuktamysheva? Clearly the correct thing to do is to send Nugumanova to worlds.
I LOVE Liza N but she had the skate of her life at nationals and can't really upgrade more, as it stands. Everyone else in the mix for the three spots - Anna (already named, I believe), Sasha (v likely), Liza T, and Aliona - have upgrades that they have landed in competition as well as MUCH better reputations/PCS both internationally and nationally. I think Liza N will be given a change to earn her spot in the upcoming competitions but unless something catastrophic happens with both Liza T and Aliona, she's not being named. Especially as Liza N has already been beaten this season by everyone else, including juniors who are not even eligible.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight

If minimal pre-rotation is so important, then why Anna gets these crazy marks? Why, why, why? Plus her jumps are small and without much distance. I watched videos in slow motion again. And guess what? Alyona's 2T has the same height and distance as Anna's 3T. Also - watch Alyona's 3A at GP France - it is huge and it is bigger than Anna's 4Lz at GP America.
Anna, Anna, Anna... :(

Edit:
Fun fact - If you watch Anna's GP America FS you will notice that her first 4Lz there is smaller than Alyona's GP France first 3A and also that Anna's 3T in combination with that first 4Lz (GP America) has rougly the same height and distance as Alyona's 2T in combination with her first 3A (GP France).

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I definitely would have to disagree with the idea that Alena's only issue is her lack of 3A this season. She's not been very good at all for her standards, even outside of it. From steps to spins to interpretation to transitions to steadiness of the jumps... just about every category of hers just isn't there. It's not just 3A. If she were to be put ahead of Tuktamysheva at this point, it'd be due to her last season's achievements only, not her current form... And I don't think that's the way to go, especially in such a competitive environment. Tuktamysheva is actually more proven in her career anyway, with even a world championship title.

Agree the lack triple axel is not Kostornaia's only issue, this season has been a bit of downgrade in terms of her all around skating, but she has had a crazy offseason: late coaching switch, program change, programs done via virtual choreography sessions. However Kostornaia is still a threat for the Worlds team, Rostelecom Cup she still beat Tuktamysheva in PCS and even with 3 triple axels Tuktamysheva only beat her by about 3 points.

Tuktamysheva was recovering from illness at Nationals and Nugumanova's performance at Nationals is why Feds open up the body of work argument, she was phenomenal but this season she has had a good amount of under-rotation issues. And she barely beat Tuktamysheva at Nationals.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
That's not the reason it's important. It's so that certain people couldn't make hundreds of hate posts / videos of her jumps. That's why I think it's important for her to have good jumping technique on the Lutz. No other reason.
I’m not quite sure but I also do think minimal prerotation/toe pick technique is better for the knees and uses less of the arms but that’s only what i’ve heard. And again, technically PR isn’t even punished in the rule book so Anna shouldn’t be getting deductions for that issue specifically.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it will be tough for Alena to make the team, which is sad considering she was the favorite for the world title last year. It's not only missing the 3A, which matters more against Anna and Sasha than the others competing for the third spot, but that she just hasn't competed enough to be sharp enough for Worlds. What makes the Russian women so good is that they compete a lot and work through issues skating their programs under competitive pressure. Even if she's well trained, I think it will be hard for her to have the confidence to skate her best so soon after missing training time (and considering she already wasn't in peak form prior to her illness).

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I love little Alena’s skating!! Her performance and presentation are so advanced for someone so young, and as you mentioned her skating skills are just lovely! Last year her jumps seemed a bit out of control, but this year they are a lot neater. I’m excited to see how her skating grows and develops over the next few years!
She actually improved like crazy for this season. I thought she was a pretty hopeless jumper, but now her jump height actually is quite promising, even. And she took such a huge step from last season in that regard. She already had the interpretation but she also significantly upgraded her skating skills. It just makes you wonder whether she can maintain that trajectory. I can say that a year ago I wouldn't have expected Krivonosova to be able to win this competition, not in a million years.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I’m not quite sure but I also do think minimal prerotation/toe pick technique is better for the knees and uses less of the arms but that’s only what i’ve heard. And again, technically PR isn’t even punished in the rule book so Anna shouldn’t be getting deductions for that issue specifically.
It's just such a ridiculously dedicated hate campaign launched against my favorite skater Anna Shcherbakova. It all started with Koola King's incorrect video claiming she had some 45 degree angle inside edge on her quad Lutz, using terrible camera angles. I've followed Shcherbakova since well before she even was skating in juniors, Lutz's always been her stronger edge and Flip is what she had issues with. She managed to get them to a state where the Flip's slightly inside and the Lutz slightly outside. There's nothing in the rules against shallow edge, and traditionally it's not even been penalized when an edge turns to flat at the last second, which is what at worst will happen with Shcherbakova.

Instead of celebrating things such as, say, her being able to actually jump quads as a girl, people focus on her Lutz edge, which is flat at worst. Tons of loved skaters have flat Lutz, or even inside, but don't receive such hate. Medvedeva did receive similarly strong criticism, but the difference is that Anna's "flutz" is not at all comparable to hers, which was very telegraphed and fully inside. I mean, for all this hate campaigning, what are they looking for? A ! on her Lutz for some -1 or -2 GOE in points, and only in the cases where it actually is flat instead of slightly outside? That's ridiculously dedicated for such an aim. It wouldn't even change nearly any recent results at all.

A lot of it is that since Medvedeva moved under Orser, they no longer could criticize her since she wasn't being coached by Tutberidze, so they had to look for the Tutberidze girl with the worst Lutz edge and continue the same campaign against Shcherbakova instead.

And it has to just be about the shallow(not inside) edge, since Trusova etc. pre-rotates all the same but doesn't receive nearly such hate. It's absurd, honestly. And plain evil.

Because of that, I don't want skaters I like to have to deal with such things, or myself to have to deal with them either. On that front it's looking quite promising, since Veronika Zhilina, Alena Krivonosova, Elena Kostyleva all have good technique.

Last edited:

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
It's just such a ridiculously dedicated hate campaign launched against my favorite skater Anna Shcherbakova. It all started with Koola King's incorrect video claiming she had some 45 degree angle inside edge on her quad Lutz, using terrible camera angles. I've followed Shcherbakova since well before she even was skating in juniors, Lutz's always been her stronger edge and Flip is what she had issues with. She managed to get them to a state where the Flip's slightly inside and the Lutz slightly outside. There's nothing in the rules against shallow edge, and traditionally it's not even been penalized when an edge turns to flat at the last second, which is what at worst will happen with Shcherbakova.

Instead of celebrating things such as, say, her being able to actually jump quads as a girl, people focus on her Lutz edge, which is flat at worst. Tons of loved skaters have flat Lutz, or even inside, but don't receive such hate. Medvedeva did receive similarly strong criticism, but the difference is that Anna's "flutz" is not at all comparable to hers, which was very telegraphed and fully inside. I mean, for all this hate campaigning, what are they looking for? A ! on her Lutz for some -1 or -2 GOE in points, and only in the cases where it actually is flat instead of slightly outside? That's ridiculously dedicated for such an aim. It wouldn't even change nearly any recent results at all.

A lot of it is that since Medvedeva moved under Orser, they no longer could criticize her since she wasn't being coached by Tutberidze, so they had to look for the Tutberidze girl with the worst Lutz edge and continue the came campaign against Shcherbakova instead.

And it has to just be about the shallow(not inside) edge, since Trusova etc. pre-rotates all the same but doesn't receive nearly such hate. It's absurd, honestly. And plain evil.

Because of that, I don't want skaters I like to have to deal with such things, or myself to have to deal with them either. On that front it's looking quite promising, since Veronika Zhilina, Alena Krivonosova, Elena Kostyleva all have good technique.
Hmm... I found this from before KK era:
"Now the Lutz is a complete anomaly. It's very different. Beginners might first stand on their right foot and then do a loop from there, resulting in pre-rotation, but in a real lutz, where the left leg on the edge does the jumping, there is no pre-rotation. Quite the opposite: the left leg leaves the ice up to 1/8 under-rotated because of the edge curve turning in the other direction than the rotation of the jump. The shoulders will still face forwards at take off. The right toepick might get 1/8 into the turn before it gets off the ice, but still: In a single lutz you actually have to do the entire revolution, usually even more, in the air."
From 2015
Link:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Hmm... I found this from before KK era:
"Now the Lutz is a complete anomaly. It's very different. Beginners might first stand on their right foot and then do a loop from there, resulting in pre-rotation, but in a real lutz, where the left leg on the edge does the jumping, there is no pre-rotation. Quite the opposite: the left leg leaves the ice up to 1/8 under-rotated because of the edge curve turning in the other direction than the rotation of the jump. The shoulders will still face forwards at take off. The right toepick might get 1/8 into the turn before it gets off the ice, but still: In a single lutz you actually have to do the entire revolution, usually even more, in the air."
From 2015
Link:
Okay, make sure to dedicate an identical amount of posts for every other skater's pre-rotation as you have to Anna's then, in order to prove you're not just hating on her.

The ISU rulebook, by the way, has no such requirements. It actually has "unclear edge no mark" -1 GOE and "unclear edge !" -1 or -2 GOE. So that ! might not even add any negative GOE at all, depending on how the judge's feeling like. But other than that, it just looks for a lack of downgrade on takeoff, which has to be seen without slow-mos. Even pre-rotations well in excess of Shcherbakova's have never been penalized, so make sure to complain about those an identical amount please.

Status
Not open for further replies.