2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Vadym Kolesnik has been posting a lot in Ukraine, but not on ice. Do we have any news on Lavrova/Kolesnik?

I also learned that Avonley Nguyen/Maxwell Gart were partners at first. I think a reunion is possible - there aren't too many males out there, and if Lavrova/Gart did split up, Avonley and Maxwell have a suitable height for each other.

(Until the day we see Davis/Smolkin in competition, I won't stop worrying that Davis/Kolesnik is a thing)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Gart seems very happy to be studying on campus at Georgia Tech in his freshman year.

My understanding is that education is of great importance to him, and my two cents are that I would be surprised if he returned to competitive ice dance (with any partner).

Max is a super nice guy, and I wish him only the best in life.

ETA (on Dec 2):

On Ice Perspectives recently filmed the Browns performing their FD outdoors at Bryant Park in NYC.​

Today Jordan published a clip on Instagram. (With the intention of publishing the full program on his YouTube channel in the near future.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CITGz06nLuB/ (Dec 2)​

ETA (on Dec 4):​

Today on Instagram, Jordan Cowan published a second part of the Browns performing their FD at Bryant Park:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIX3aZIHRw6/ (Dec 4)​

ETA (on Dec 6):

Today on YouTube, Jordan published the full video (4:21) in one single take of the Browns performing their FD at Bryant Park.

"... Thank you to their coach Joel Dear for helping to organize. And a special thank you to all of our supporters on Patreon who make it possible for us to afford ice in one of prettiest outdoor rinks in New York City."

Plus Jordan closed the loop on Instagram by publishing the final two parts of the FD there.
And ... he advised us to stay tuned on YouTube: "We also filmed Oona and Gage’s Rhythm Dance routine to ‘Boy from Oz’ which will be released there later, so make sure to like and subscribe! 😉🙌"

ETA (on Dec 2):

New article today re Cesanek/Yehorov (who in fact are in their third season together, although the first sentence erroneously refers to "only their second season together"):​

ETA (on Dec 9):

Caleb Wein was the subject of Washington FSC's brief "Skater Spotlight" post on Facebook on Dec 3:

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I'd love to know how Hawayek/Baker are doing right now. Normal (as possible right now) practices? Any injuries? It's easy to see they really really want it. But could an up-and-coming team with the right material push them down to 4th in the US? Idk.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today USFS published a video including Junior Dance highlights from Championship Series.
Junior Dance highlights start at approx. 0:37 (preceded by Junior Pair highlights).

(Full Junior programs are being added to Peacock Premium this week. I do not know whether Junior Dance has been added yet.)

Junior Dance at Nats should be very exciting, if last week's Championship Series results (FD only) are any indication!
What jumped out at me from Championship Series:
- A clear win for the Browns, with Wolfkostin/Chen in second.
- Third place for new couple Flores/Tsarevski from Colorado Springs (and sixth place for their training mates Neset/Markelov, also a new couple).
- Ling/Wein in fourth, with the highest placement of the WISA couples.​

Update re Senior Dance at Nats:

Carhart/Gurianov have been crossed out on the entry list, and she is on icepartnersearch (bio last updated on Dec 10).

So the field now will be twelve couples.​

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to know how Hawayek/Baker are doing right now. Normal (as possible right now) practices? Any injuries? It's easy to see they really really want it. But could an up-and-coming team with the right material push them down to 4th in the US? Idk.
I am rooting for them to climb up. I’m quite tired of hearing about their “inevitable” slide to 4th. (This isn’t directed at you. I’ve just been hearing this for at least 2, probably 3 years now). Their free dance, from the very little I have been able to see, is quite brilliant.

I follow them on social media. If they do have any injuries they haven’t said anything. They posted a funny Christmas swan picture, which of course I can’t find the link to (someone sent it to me via email.)

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Every Olympic cycle some team that is not ranked first in the USA is always considered to be vulnerable to fall to third or fourth or below...
The Shibutanis were thought to be on shaky ground and surely those lower teams would surpass them. Ha! Didn't happen and Maia and Alex are two times Olympic bronze medalists.
I've been hearing for ages that Hawayek/Baker would fall from third by CC & AP or by LM & QC or by the Parsons blah blah blah. Some fans just like the idea of change for change's sake. Well I still like competition and while the competitors for that assumed third spot have either broken up, retired or are ineligible for the upcoming Olympics, I think it's a mistake to underestimate Hawayek and Baker. They have improved greatly and they will challenge for the second or even first at Nationals in two weeks. No I'm not wishing any falls on C/B or H/D, I just want everybody to skate well, have honest and proper judging and let the ice chips fall where they may.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Chock/Bates were clearly favoured last season. It's an open question whether they'll be in form at the upcoming nationals, though, given the training setbacks.

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am rooting for them to climb up. I’m quite tired of hearing about their “inevitable” slide to 4th. (This isn’t directed at you. I’ve just been hearing this for at least 2, probably 3 years now). Their free dance, from the very little I have been able to see, is quite brilliant.

I follow them on social media. If they do have any injuries they haven’t said anything. They posted a funny Christmas swan picture, which of course I can’t find the link to (someone sent it to me via email.)
I think they solidified their hold hold on third barring any unforseen accidents or missed elements. both new programs were well received and they look very prepared already.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think it's close between MC/EB and MH/ZD. Since both of those teams have had problems performing cleanly more than once, whichever team skates well with the fewest reductions will probably win...unless another team skates lights out (like H/B) might edge out either of those teams.. The standings in dance aren't set in stone anymore. They actually have to skate well.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think they solidified their hold hold on third barring any unforseen accidents or missed elements. both new programs were well received and they look very prepared already.
The 2020 SkAm results certainly support the existence of a solid margin between them and the teams chasing them (though in the free dance it's a bit inflated due to errors by the others). And as far as the Olympics go, they've caught a series of fortunate breaks, in that the team that is making the strongest push to move past them up the standings can't go to the Olympics in 2022.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
in that the team that is making the strongest push to move past them up the standings can't go to the Olympics in 2022.
I’ve wondered whether the incoming Biden Administration may have a more open-minded approach to immigration and if so, whether that could have a beneficial effect on Carreira’s citizenship application. You never know.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’ve wondered whether the incoming Biden Administration may have a more open-minded approach to immigration and if so, whether that could have a beneficial effect on Carreira’s citizenship application. You never know.
I'm sure the new administration will be much more liberal on this point. But having been denied entry into accelerated category, I'm not sure there's enough time for Carreira to restart the whole process, when she'd presumably have to file again and at the back of whatever presumably decent-length queue there is for that service. But it could work out for her in time, of course.

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel for Carreira & Ponomarenko, they have worked so hard and are really wonderful skaters and worthy of an Olympic berth. I sasy this because I do not want anyone to think I am rooting against them. In fact, I look forward to seeing what they have planned for nationals. Personally, I know how I would feel in their shoes. I would be very down over the immigration issue and might find it hard to find motivation some days. It is a mixed blessing to have 5 teams worthy of going to the Olympics and only 3 spots. Hubbell and Donohue have been there - fourth place finishers in an Olympic year.