2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Into the off-season news:

Yuma is starting his life as a college student today. He's now a Chukyo U freshman:

On the other hand, there's unofficial news that Shun will go to Meiji U.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
He said that he "didn't get to attend school much" for junior high and senior high, so he hopes to enjoy campus life. Previously, he said his main concern about university was "whether I can make friends." I believe he attended a correspondence school, so I can understand his anxiety. It helps that he is training at the university rink, which is much easier than shuttling between university and a public rink elsewhere, which I think is what Kazuki Tomono had to do. And he has many skater friends on campus, including Yuhana Yokoi.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Looking forward to Junior Worlds! Good luck to Lucas, Kao and Tatsuya!

Here is an interview with Naoki Rossi - although he represents Switzerland, he does count Yuma and Shoma amongst his role models! He also considers Japanese as his main language. Naoki is aiming for a top 10 finish at junior worlds.
It seems that whenever I adopt children they end up having excellent taste. :giggle: Naoki is a real gem.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Top 10 Japanese Men's SB scores in the 2021-22 season (final)

Shoma Uno: 312.60 (Worlds)
Yuma Kagiyama: 310.05 (Olympics)
Yuzuru Hanyu: 283.21 (Olympics)
Kazuki Tomono: 269.37 (Worlds)
Shun Sato: 264.99 (IdF)
Kao Miura: 251.07 (4CC)
Sota Yamamoto: 247.65 (Warsaw Cup)
Sena Miyake: 240.02 (4CC)
Tatsuya Tsuboi: 233.82 (Jr Worlds)
Keiji Tanaka: 229.75 (Rostelecom Cup)

As you can see, the Shoma/Yuma rivalry is developing well, and they're pretty close in terms of SB and achievements. Yuzu's SB is lower than I would expect, but realistically he only competed internationally once, while he was injured and attempting the 4A. He's still the 🐐 and it'll be very interesting to see what he does next.

I said in the beginning of the season that, since the top three are fairly settled, the real battle would be for the 4th place. I'm very pleased to say that, despite finishing in 5th at Nats, for all intents and purposes Kazuki Tomono finished the season as Japan's 4th man, in both SB and WS, and overall achievements and consistency throughout the season. As a Kazuki fan, I'm really happy and excited for him because I believe the best is yet to come - he's a late bloomer and I think he'll be reaching his peak in the 2022-26 quad as a mature skater :love2:

Shun and Kao, both incredibly talented young skaters, had some really nice moments this season, notably Shun's silver medal at IdF and Kao's 4th place at Nats, but they both have been hampered by injuries 😟 I really hope they have a very restful off-season so they can come back fully healed next season.

Sota also had some really nice moments, delivering some great SP performances and winning Warsaw Cup. I believe that, if he manages to stabilise his free, he'll be a very strong competitor.

Sena and Tatsuya were nice surprises for me. Sena did really well at Nats and 4CC, not so much at Egna Trophy. For me there's still a question mark about his overall consistency, and realistically he needs to add another quad to be threatening the top. But he seems to be in a good path, good for him. As for Tatsuya, I'm super happy to see him coming back after a few years struggling with injury, his junior bronze medal is more than deserved.

Keiji... he'll be missed 😭

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
JSF's initial list of supported Men's figure skaters for 2022~23 season (PDF released April 21, 2022)
As usual, this list is primarily based on Junior National and National Championship results and will possibly be updated as JGP, GP & Challenger assignments are announced

Special Strengthening
Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA) National Champion
Shoma Uno (Toyota Motor Corporation) National 2nd
Yuma Kagiyama (Oriental Bio / Chukyo University) National 3rd
Kazuki Tomono (Central Sports) National 5th
Kao Miura (Oriental Bio / Meguro Nihon University High School) Jr National Champion / National 4th
Tatsuya Tsuboi (Kobe University) Jr National 2nd / National 9th

Strengthening A
Sena Miyake (Kansai University) National 6th
Shun Sato (Meiji University) National 7th
Sota Yamamoto (Chukyo University) National 8th
Nozomu Yoshioka (Hosei University) Jr National 3rd / National 20th

Strengthening B
Koshiro Shimada (Kinoshita Group) National 10th
Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda (Kinoshita Academy) National 12th
Takeru Kataise (Kansai University) Jr National 4th / National 14th
Kosho Oshima (Meiji University) Jr National 5th / National 16th
Shunsuke Nakamura (Kinoshita Academy) Jr National 6th / National 25th
Ryoga Morimoto (Kinoshita Academy) Jr National 7th
Ryusei Kikuchi (Meguro Nihon University High School) Jr National 8th

Thank you to @cohkaix for posting the supported Women's list in the Japanese Women's thread

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Some of the Kinoshita Men performed new programs on Day 1 of Bloom On Ice
Not confirmed but these appear to be competition programs for next season

Shuntaro Asaga ~ Hit the Road Jack - Throttle
Ryoga Morimoto ~ Man of La Mancha
Shunsuke Nakamura ~ El Conquistador (The highlight of Day 1 for me! ShunShun & his Spanish/Spanish influenced programs 🔥🔥🔥)
Sumitada Moriguchi ~ Breakthru - Queen (Have I seen him perform this before?)

Lucas Honda performed a modified version of his old 007 FS
Koshiro performed a modified version of his Chaplin FS

Sena Takahashi (Nov A 3rd, Jr Nats 12th) was introduced during the Opening and participated in Group numbers but did not perform a program
He is one of the skaters I'm most interested in watching so hoping to see him skate a new program on Day 2

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
I was really disappointed that Sena Takahashi only participated in group numbers during Bloom On Ice
He was one of the main reasons I purchased online viewing tix for both days
So I was happy to see him perform a "sort of new" program at Kansai Novice Competition held this week
They (Cathy?) seems to have reworked the SP he skated to at Jr Nationals and converted it into a new FS
He scored 100.44 and won this event by a large margin
Sena and Taiga Nishino should be strong rivals for the Novice A title next season

Novice A Boys (Group 1)
1st) 高 橋 星 名 Sena Takahashi ~Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto~
Results
Protocols

Lake Cup (a FS only competition) was held concurrently with Kansai Novice in the same arena
With 14 JGP spots for the Japanese boys next season I wanted to post video of some of the guys who I think might be invited to the JGP selection event
Recently, JSF prefers to only send boys with at a 3A.
However, most of the current Junior eligible Men still don't have a consistent one
We saw at BOI that the Kinoshita boys (Shuntaro and Ryoga) are working hard to acquire this jump

Junior Men
1st) 垣 内 珀 琉 Haru Kakiuchi ~Wake Me Up - Avicii~ (New FS)
2nd) 森 本 涼 雅 Ryoga Morimoto ~Man of La Mancha~ (New FS)
4th) 磯 和 大 智 Taichi Isowa ~Beetlejuice~ (He still has a lot to work on before being considered for a JGP but was the only guy (Seniors included) to have landed a 3A in this competition)
Results
Protocols

n1co

Rinkside
I was really disappointed that Sena Takahashi only participated in group numbers during Bloom On Ice
He was one of the main reasons I purchased online viewing tix for both days
He posted on instagram that he didn't perform at BOI because of back injury.
But then he did very well at competition, so I don't know anymore.
EDIT: After watching video, I can believe that he isn't 100% ok, but it's shouldn't be a bad injury, if he (12 yo kid) is still able to land his jumps without problem.

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
He posted on instagram that he didn't perform at BOI because of back injury.
But then he did very well at competition, so I don't know anymore.
EDIT: After watching video, I can believe that he isn't 100% ok, but it's shouldn't be a bad injury, if he (12 yo kid) is still able to land his jumps without problem.
Thank you for sharing this info
I actually saw his instagram post regarding BOI and his back injury after my last post
I was surprised he mentioned a growth spurt as possible cause since I honestly hadn't noticed that he'd gotten much taller
I did notice his jumps at Kansai Novice were unusually tight but assumed he was adjusting to his new program
Hope he takes it easy until he can fully heal and get comfortable with his growing body