2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

KiraraChin

Medalist
Last I watched him, BV was all he had. Strong junior skater no doubt, but he will get creamed in seniors unless he's made huge strides in presentation (and consistency). And quality of jumps, for that matter.
I think that's a tad harsh, but I do see where you're coming from. I do wonder what his coaching team is doing, because it's clear from last season that going for broke with BV above all else is not the right strategy and he ended up injured. Now, it seems not only they're keeping this strategy but also adding another quad to the mix (4F) 🥲

I wish him luck, but can't help but think he'd be in a better place with slightly fewer quads and more focus on consistency and presentation. He does have the talent to be an all-around skater, so I feel it's such a shame his development has been a bit unbalanced.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I wish him luck, but can't help but think he'd be in a better place with slightly fewer quads and more focus on consistency and presentation. He does have the talent to be an all-around skater, so I feel it's such a shame his development has been a bit unbalanced.
I personally would have no problem if he'd shown clear talent in any one regard - strong jumps or strong presentation or consistency. As such he's just kind of there in the middle. Kagiyama ended up having consistency (at least at important competitions) and strong skating skills, and great flow out of flighty jumps. Miura to me has a real spark in his presentation, even if he needs to screw his head on tightly, and nice jumps done with somewhat purer technique than Kagiyama when he lands them (and being the youngest of them all means he has time to gain additional talent and confidence, anyway). Sato... kind of eh on him. Dislike that sort of technique, and then he doesn't even land them, nor makes up for it elsewhere. Again, it could all change, and I bear him no grudge, but do wish his coaching team at least would get it together.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Wow, you're harsh on Shun 😅
I think his jumps are nice when he lands them, unlike Yuma and Kao he has the correct edge on the Lutz and his 4T3T is a thing of beauty IMO. He has a little bit of delayed rotation which I understand is not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

I blame his coaching team entirely. Last season he had some hype as Yuma's rival but doing too many quads led to inconsistency and injury. Now Yuma has very obviously powered ahead, and he's kinda faded in the background. Maybe you're right, and doing JWC would help to rebuild some of the momentum.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I'm sorry if that sounded harsh :laugh: I'm only trying to measure him against the other seniors, who all have something over him IMO (well, and one junior I guess, lol). But, I'll leave it there. Suffice it to say, I won't be posting in the fan fest any time soon.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Shun and Yuma are both scheduled for Kanto Regionals, which overlap with JO. Yuma can drop Kanto because he's seeded, but unless Shun gets a bye, he can't go to JO. I see Yuma and possibly Yuzu going to AO, since Yuzu usually does a Challenger before the GP starts and Yuma will want the experience in the Olympic venue.

Shun can land 5/6 quads... there's videos of him landing a 4Lo in practice. He just needs consistency and the right mindset. He and Andrei Mozalev have had similar issues of having ability in terms of jumps but just can't land them when it counts. Hopefully they'll sort things out over these next few seasons, since I don't see them making the Olympic team this year without a major fight. Kao is also really talented, but he is still developing as a skater. I'll be curious to see what happens to him over the next few years.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I'm sorry if that sounded harsh :laugh: I'm only trying to measure him against the other seniors, who all have something over him IMO (well, and one junior I guess, lol). But, I'll leave it there. Suffice it to say, I won't be posting in the fan fest any time soon.
That's OK, we all have our likes and dislikes ☺️

We all know that the Japanese Olympic team is pretty much a lock, I'm actually interested to see what happens with the other guys - not only Shun, but whether Sota will make a comeback under his new coaching team, whether Keiji has fully recovered from his injury and more importantly for my own dear heart, whether Kazuki will have a good season 🥺

Skatesocs

Final Flight

He has to improve but pleeeease he isn't that bad.

You sure came down hard on him.
Hey, Asians need to hold themselves to higher standards! So I have higher standards for Asian skaters! If he were American, I would say he's outstanding, already complete, best skater ever :cheer2: :laugh: ;)

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I blame his coaching team entirely. Last season he had some hype as Yuma's rival but doing too many quads led to inconsistency and injury. Now Yuma has very obviously powered ahead, and he's kinda faded in the background. Maybe you're right, and doing JWC would help to rebuild some of the momentum.
If Shun doesn't get a senior ISU competition I agree that Shun would be a good candidate for Junior worlds. They do have 3 spots after all. At his very best he can go for gold - we've seen what happened at JGPF!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I'm actually interested to see what happens with the other guys - not only Shun, but whether Sota will make a comeback under his new coaching team, whether Keiji has fully recovered from his injury and more importantly for my own dear heart, whether Kazuki will have a good season 🥺
Given the regionals schedules, it's possible for Keiji and Sota to participate in the JO.
Keiji: 09/23-26 Chugoku/Shikokku/Kyushu
Sota: 09/24-26 Chubu

On the other hand, skaters in other regions have scheduling conflicts:
9/30-10/3 Kanto
10/01-03 Tohoku/Hokkaido
10/02 Japan Open (Carnival on Ice is on 10/2-3)
10/07-10 Tokyo
10/07-10 Kinki

Shoma and Yuma are seeded, so they are available for the JO, but if Yuma gets sent to the AO, he might want to skip the JO to focus on the AO. Unless the JO participants are given a bye, it seems almost impossible to invite top skaters across Japan to the JO. Considering the high ticket prices (15,000yen, 21,000yen & 23,000), it's interesting to see who will be invited.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Unless the JO participants are given a bye, it seems almost impossible to invite top skaters across Japan to the JO. Considering the high ticket prices (15,000yen, 21,000yen & 23,000), it's interesting to see who will be invited.
To my knowledge it used to be the case that skaters invited to JO were given a bye to regionals (meaning JO has priority).

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Entries for JO are out!
Kaori Sakamoto
Satoko Miyahara
Rino Matsuike
Mai Mihara
Mana Kawabe
Shoma Uno
Keiji Tanaka
Shun Sato
Kazuki Tomono
(1 woman & 2 men still to be announced)
Guess JO takes priority over regionals? Otherwise Shun couldn't participate. I have a feeling Yuma will join the lineup, since Shun will be here

Reactions: ana

KiraraChin

Medalist
Yay for Kazuki at JO for the first time :love2:

I guess the schedule for JO & Kinki/Tokyo regionals is tight but not impossible. Knowing Kazuki, my guess is that he'll do both, maybe Shun will do the same.

I guess this pretty much confirms Yuzu and Yuma will be sent to Asia Open...?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I guess this pretty much confirms Yuzu and Yuma will be sent to Asia Open...?

I hope so... Any chance Kazuki can be sent there too, despite the close dates? He could very well become the first alternate.

My bet on the last two JO men is Koshiro and Kagiyama. I'm not too down about no Sota there, as I suspect his FS (and coaching team) is still relatively new to him, and he tends to do worse in Japan than abroad. If he doesn't get sent to a late Challenger though, that's when I'll see red...

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
It appears one of the last two men's spots went to Sota Yamamoto, and the other one (presumably Koshiro's) is still undecided:

KiraraChin

Medalist
I'm really surprised and a bit disappointed they didn't give the host spot to Sota, who already has one spot, so he could have two.

OTOH Kao is an extremely talented skater who definitely needs more international experience! I hope he does well, and who knows? NHK could potentially have a Japanese men sweep :)

surimi

Record Breaker
I was expecting this (Sota not being picked, I mean), and I am not really regretful. It is well that they repaid Kao for not sending him to JGP. And I have no doubt that if Sota/Koshiro/Mitsuki/Sena/maybe others had skated better than Kao, they'd have been chosen. All of them are inconsistent, so I am pretty sure Kao brought out the best tech (being in top form because of JGP certainly helped), and won fair and square. All of these boys need to learn to deliver when it matters, and honestly, Sota got three NHK chances already. Maybe some tough love from JSF will help him, not to mention open an opportunity for a new skater... and NGL, I am also hoping he'll get sent to a Challenger to get points. He has a higher chance of getting points there than at NHK, that's for sure :)
Good luck to Kao!

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Happy they're letting Miura have that experience. Still hope they consider sending him to JWC, he's definitely someone with the talent to win it (and, again, he will have another junior eligible season they can consider him for, if he doesn't).