2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Men's SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Men's SP

icybear

Medalist
Hanyu "new" SP is basically another Chopin SP. Light blue/white costume - check. Piano music - check. Slow pace start then fast step seq - check. And Otonal is practically similar. So basically he's been doing a slight variation of his Chopin SP for 6 seasons. :biggrin: And other skater would get so much flak for doing the same thing over and over again and be criticized for being a one trick pony.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, only saw the top three Japanese men and Kazuki, but as always, they bring the 🔥

Never underestimate Yuzuru Hanyu. That tiny smile at the end of the program. He knew.

I like Yuma, I like his ambition, but why is JFed so intent on promoting him? As has been said before, his PCS should be nowhere near Kazuki's. He'll score high enough when he hits his elements. I don't mind the music, but it's not a good fit for him until he learns performance from Yuzu and Shoma.

And of course Shoma, love the transitions and the program.

Best Nats of the week;)

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hanyu "new" SP is basically another Chopin SP. Light blue/white costume - check. Piano music - check. Slow pace start then fast step seq - check. And Otonal is practically similar. So basically he's been doing a slight variation of his Chopin SP for 6 seasons. :biggrin: And other skater would get so much flak for doing the same thing over and over again and be criticized for being a one trick pony.
It’s an Olympic season and so I don’t hold it against him for doing something he’s comfortable with. If it aint broke, don’t change it - but international judges might be less amenable to the repetition. This was a wonderful performance of his. Some of the GOE was nationals friendly. I thought the salchow was absolute perfection, but +4 was not merited on the combo or the 3A as they weren’t particularly effortless (the combo especially lacked flow). But for Nationals scoring it makes sense.

To be honest though, getting 49 instead of 54-55 PCS is clear evidence of the Japanese fed holding him back. :laugh:

Genuinely fearing for the well-being of the judges who dared to give him 9.5s. 🙈

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Yuma's scores show that JF has learned how to politic. It makes me sad for Shun Sato and Kazuki who both , honestly, deserved similar scores in the PCS categories except for SS( of course). Love Yuma but that score was a choice.

Yuzuru is , certainly, not a one trick pony. Yes, this SP bears some resemblance to some of his other successful programs but his SP last year was very energetic and extraverted and he also skated that very well. I , personally, don't think Yuzuru is a natural performer but he has learned so much over the years and this program was very close to perfection.

Shoma's my favorite. His program was good but not great. It was a bit cautious but that's good because he is injured. Given his injury, he did great!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Welp...Kao's video on yt is gone. Didn't get to see it yet 😭
Guess I'm waiting for archived Men SP on FOD to watch the guys I missed

Y'know I was wondering how that particular youtube account(s) uploading JNats video was able to stay up for so long considering how fast my account was suspended

Edit: Anyone want video of the guys from the last 2 groups?
Only thing is I'm streaming FOD so no commentary, fancy camera angles or graphics (icescope etc...)

Fuji TV Sports uploaded non-blocked video of top 3 Men's SP to youtube
Yuzuru
Shoma
Yuma
I love your vids. Right now on XMAS eve, my podunk internet provider cant give me any download speed with everyone streaming so I will watch yours later...

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Yuma's PCS was overscored, but it really wasn't that bad. He's made huge improvements in facial engagement over both the past few seasons and this season. Compared to his GP events, he had a lot more expression while he was skating here, and it is night and day to his programs last year. Kazuki is very underscored PCS-wise, but Shun is pretty stone-faced while skating. He does have good natural musicality though. Maybe Yuma should be behind Sota, but he's trying so much to improve on PCS, which I think is really admirable for a skater who is getting good PCS scores already.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some videos in event order

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Yuma's PCS was overscored, but it really wasn't that bad. He's made huge improvements in facial engagement over both the past few seasons and this season. Compared to his GP events, he had a lot more expression while he was skating here, and it is night and day to his programs last year. Kazuki is very underscored PCS-wise, but Shun is pretty stone-faced while skating. He does have good natural musicality though. Maybe Yuma should be behind Sota, but he's trying so much to improve on PCS, which I think is really admirable for a skater who is getting good PCS scores already.
I think we all admire Yuma. It's the scoring that we object to. Not him.

Last edited:

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
How the hell did I miss this kid skate the other night?

The uninhibited flow of his skating and clothing worked well with the music and lyrics. Nice to see something like that for a change.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How the hell did I miss this kid skate the other night?

The uninhibited flow of his skating and clothing worked well with the music and lyrics. Nice to see something like that for a change.

Thank you for flagging this. I could do with a little less flow on the shirt, but this was a perfect match of skating style and music and he does, simply, flow. I need to pay more attention to Sean.

He needs to spend a tad more time working on the spins. When the mid program spins slow down like that, with the rest of the program so seamless, it distracts just a bit.

Overall great job:clap:. So sad the men's free is at an impossible time for me.😢 The life of a figure skating fan....