Medal skates of the junior pairs at 4th stage of the Cup:

Tumanova&Kunitsa, bronze:

Petushkova&Malikov, silver:

CrazyKittenLady

Rooting for Team Moskvich 💙
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The latest news from the Russian Junior pairs: According to Russian media, Diana Mukhametzyanova and Vladislav Antonyshev broke up and Diana is switching from Mozer to Tyukova in Perm. Until last season, Diana was paired with Ilya Mironov who is now performing very successfully with Katia Geinish (Ilya Mironov: "Mukhametzyanova is very talented. We honestly made every possible effort to save the pair, but it didn't work out."). The new pair even qualified for Senior Nats through the Cup of Russia series.
Antonyshev on the other hand seems to skate with former singles skater Liza Osokina now, they are entered for the upcoming Moscow City Championships together. So a lot of partner shuffling going on at the moment.

Last edited:

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Sad that Mukhametizanova is so affected by puberty and can't find a partner long-term. What is Volodin up to now that Vasilieva has disappeared? Or what about Kalashnikov? I don't really know who trains with Tyukova.

Very impressed with Geinish/Mironov as well. The only team to qualify for senior national from the Russian Cup stages and they will skate at junior nationals too. I wonder if they can sneak onto the Junior Worlds team perhaps instead of Mukhortova/Evgenyev.

Speaking of nationals, now that the list is finalized we can see a nice consistency in the pairs field. The top teams M/G, T/M, B/K, P/K, A/N, K/B, P/P are all returning. Akhanteva/Kolesov and Akopova/Rakhamin didn't make it this year, Panfilov/Rylov still out with injury (any update on their timetable?) and then Balabanova/Svyatchenko and M/M split up.

Weathergal

Medalist
Sad that Mukhametizanova is so affected by puberty and can't find a partner long-term. What is Volodin up to now that Vasilieva has disappeared? Or what about Kalashnikov? I don't really know who trains with Tyukova.

Very impressed with Geinish/Mironov as well. The only team to qualify for senior national from the Russian Cup stages and they will skate at junior nationals too. I wonder if they can sneak onto the Junior Worlds team perhaps instead of Mukhortova/Evgenyev.

Speaking of nationals, now that the list is finalized we can see a nice consistency in the pairs field. The top teams M/G, T/M, B/K, P/K, A/N, K/B, P/P are all returning. Akhanteva/Kolesov and Akopova/Rakhamin didn't make it this year, Panfilov/Rylov still out with injury (any update on their timetable?) and then Balabanova/Svyatchenko and M/M split up.
I'm very surprised - they seemed so promising!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I love Geinish/Mironov partnership. They are absolute delight in how well they are matched. Falls are concerning though 😿. I am kinda attached to the top three current juniors though… but if they go into juniors, they have a very real chance to qualify for JW 🙌

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
P/K definitely made their case here. And skating like this might also bump their scores in coming competitions, assuming they’ll keep progressing.

On an unrelated note, the American and Canadian judges gave massive world-record scores to M/G— 157 and 159. So I guess their program is not only a hit for eastern judges.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Pairs seems to be the most exciting discipline for judging right now. If Chen is clean he will win men’s, Valieva will win women’s even if she’s not clean and Russia will sweep the podium, and P/C are quite ahead of S/K at this point.

But pairs will be very exciting, especially if T/M and Sui/Han jump out ahead of M/G in the short as they have been. Will M/G be able to make it up in the free as they have been? The total scores are so close

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think it will definitely a game of whoever does the best that day. These three pairs definitely have an open shot at gold. But all the other pairs in their wake will definitely fight to get as close as they can to the medals.

CrazyKittenLady

Rooting for Team Moskvich 💙
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm very surprised - they seemed so promising!
Diana talks about the past season in this interview. Fair warning, she touches on some sensitive subjects. It is frankly incredible what these athletes are prepared to go through for their sport. And pair girls are the toughest. 💪

"THEY TOLD ME TO LOSE WEIGHT AND LOOK FOR A PARTNER MYSELF. BASICALLY, I WAS THROWN OUT." THE SAD STORY OF A YOUNG FIGURE SKATER FROM RUSSIA
https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...ustnaja_istorija_molodoj_figuristki_iz_Rossii, 29th November 2021, Marina Chernyshova-Melnik

In recent years, the pair of Diana Mukhametzyanova and Ilya Mironov – students of Nina Mozer's school – was considered one of the most promising among their peers. They won silver medals in the final of the Junior Grand Prix series and the Youth Olympic Games, performed the most difficult elements. The career was on the rise, but last season was unsuccessful and, as it turned out, put an end to the history of this talented duo. The skaters were separated by the coach, but they themselves only became friendlier. Only everyone now has their own way in sports. Diana Mukhametzyanova told Match TV what she had to go through in recent months, how she works under the guidance of Pavel Slyusarenko and lives in a new city, and at the same time discovered the secrets of mastering super jumps.

When and why did your couple with Ilya Mironov break up?
More than a year ago, I began to form and, accordingly, gained weight. Because of this, there were problems on the elements, last season I did not work well. But since Ilya and I were a couple, then the problem is common. He tried to cheer me up, and none of us knew until the last that we were going to break up. I accidentally heard that such a thing is possible. I turned to Ilya, he replied: "I don't know anything, everything is fine, don't panic!" And in January of this year, Nina Mikhailovna gathered me and the coaches and announced that the Mukhametzyanov-Mironov pairs were no more. I don't know the reason until the end. Yes, initially my puberty interfered, but I tried to control myself all season, I lost weight. The body developed – it's natural. After that conversation it was so painful, bitter! Still, Ilya and I skated together for 3.5 years, achieved good results for the junior level. And because of one bad season, ruin everything... Moreover, the reason is obvious and happens to every girl. In general, I don't understand.

Are you sure that Nina Mozer's decision was the sole decision? What about the position of your immediate coaches?

Yes, it was Nina Mikhailovna who decided everything. After that, my mother directly asked my coach Arina Andreevna Ushakov: "Are you interested in my daughter as an athlete?" She answered in the affirmative, and I continued to go to training.

How did the couple with Vladislav Antonyshev form?
The coaches decided to give it a try, and Vlad and I started to slide. But the joint performances did not work out. I still don't understand why. In training, everything is clean, and I went to the starts confused, I did not understand what I was doing here. I rode the machine. Our last tournament – the Cup of Russia in Syzran – ended sadly. Soon the coaches announced that they were arranging for Vlad and me to break up, because there was no result. I tried to argue: "We only rolled out three starts, we didn't have time to accelerate." But I was told that was it. Vlad was given another girl, and I was told to lose weight and look for a partner myself. In fact, I was thrown out, and it was a shock. We lost the thread of trust with Arina Andreevna. In recent months, she often scolded me, did not want to understand at some points. I stopped feeling needed. I felt that I was put to an end as an athlete. That coaches no longer see in me the Diana they saw in 2017 when I arrived. That is, people who believed do not believe anymore. So, you have to look for a coach who will believe.

And such was Pavel Slyusarenko.
Yes, in October I came to see him in Perm for a viewing. I was already in good shape, because in a couple of weeks we called Pavel Sergeevich, and he set the task for weight. I lost weight quickly thanks to a proper balanced diet. In Perm, I showed my jumps, and Pavel Sergeevich immediately said that I was in great shape, he was ready to take me to the group. A week later, I moved here. My mother and I found an apartment for rent and moved things.

Do you live alone in a new city?
My large family lives in 3 cities. My mother and younger brother and sisters have been in Moscow for a long time – we all moved together from our native Kazan for the sake of training at the Mozer school. Dad has been torn between Kazan and the capital all the years: work at home, and family in Moscow. Now Perm has been added. In principle, I am already an adult, and there is no need to take care of me. But, of course, I will be glad when my relatives come to visit. And this is my cat Cleo (🥰) (at this moment, her striped favourite proudly walked on the couch behind Diana's back. - Match TV). I took Cleo with me to a new city, she is my friend, very supportive morally. In our family, animals are generally adored: rats used to live, and a dog remained in Kazan.

Ilya recently said that your relationship with him became warmer after parting on the ice. Perhaps this is the story of transforming hard work into communication without mutual obligations?
We have an interesting scenario for the development of relations. When Ilya and I started, we didn't communicate at all, and we didn't even perceive each other on the ice. There were little ones, the difference of three years was felt. We often quarrelled, each fighting for his "I". Then the joint results brought us closer. And in the last season, which was a failure for me, Ilya was very supportive. After we were separated, at first there was something strange between us. Of course, I have no grudges against Ilya – I was just very sad and was in myself. And now we communicate perfectly, we wish each other good luck before each start.

Five years ago, you switched from single skating to pair skating, although you previously went to the training camp to Alexei Mishin and thought about trying out for his group. Why did you change your mind?
Everything was solved after I broke my leg and my mother and I realized that something had to change. It was logical to try the pairs, because at the age of 13 I was very suitable from physical parameters. Small stature, ease of jumping, plus interest in supports and twists... A little earlier, in January 2016, I really liked the atmosphere at the training camp in Tartu with Mishin: Alexey Nikolaevich is so calm, kind, positive. I'm used to rigor. Karolina Kostner, Liza Tuktamysheva, Andrey Lazukin skated nearby – it was incredible for me. Unfortunately, the students of the group and the invited participants of the training camp were engaged separately, even the locker rooms were different. But Liza sometimes came to show the inputs on the elements. I enjoyed every day of these gatherings, and the joint photos still hang at home in a prominent place. The coaches liked me, my mother and I were offered to try it out. We honestly told my first coach Rezeda Ildarovna Kadyrova (mother of figure skater Yasmina Kadyrova. - Match TV), but she replied: "It's too early, no one will take you." Her words stopped us and we abandoned the idea of watching. I realize now that is fortunate. After all, soon there was an injury, with which it is difficult for the singles to continue her career. We clearly chose another type of figure skating and aimed at pair skating.

You and Ilya performed very complex elements, cascades, which not everyone can master. What was the secret?
I think it's that we both got a good base in singles. Both Ilya and I performed all kinds of jumps, many triple jumps were obtained. Coach Arina Andreevna, after watching how we do everything solo, said: "This is your calling card!" And gradually we learned to do our complex jumps synchronously.

Your couple is the only one in the world who performed a triple flip and a cascade with a triple lutz in one program. What is the peculiarity of this combination?
These jumps are considered the most difficult in figure skating. But Ilya and I had well-trained solo lutz and flip. Each individually since the time of the solitary species. I think that's why we put them together quickly, easily. To be honest, I don't see any secret in this combination. I don't understand why these jumps are considered the most difficult. It's easier for me to give the flip than the toe loop that everyone jumps.

Will you learn your "calling card" with a new partner?
I'm doing a good job of my triple jumps and cascades right now. I am ready to reproduce them in a new pair and I want it madly! Cascade is generally easy. I would only know who I would ride with...

A few years ago, when you just started in Nina Mozer's group, three top pairs of Russia were preparing for the Olympics in front of your eyes. What was the atmosphere on the ice like?
Of course, it was very honourable to train among the leaders. I watched them skate wide, how they work and go to the elements. It stimulated us young learners. Alas, the younger group did not skate on the same ice with adults. Still, they are more rolling, they needed more space. But we looked at the idols' rentals live: we ran at every break and went straight to the curb. After the Olympics, Ksenia and Fedya (Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov. - Match TV) finished. Zhenya and Volodya (Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov. - Match TV) were on the road all the time, then left for America, and the connection was broken. Natasha and Sasha (Natalia Zabiyako and Alexander Enbert. - Match TV) had to finish because of their health. As a result, by the beginning of 2019, all the tops left and we remained in the group - still juniors, but already in the role of seniors.

What was Nina Mozer's participation in the training process?
She was always in touch with the coaches and sometimes came to the rink. She analyzed the rentals of all the students of her school, gave advice after each competition. Our couple with Ilya were directly trained by Arina Ushakova and Philip Tarasov, they were helped by Vladislav Zhovnirsky and choreographer Tatyana Druchinina.

Who is your team now?
First of all, my coach Pavel Sergeyevich Slyusarenko. I first came to audition for him, he took me to the group. I am very comfortable in the new atmosphere! Before that, so much was scolded, and here they praise and encourage. When something happens, Pavel Sergeevich says: "Well, you see, you could! We need to consolidate the success, go and jump some more. You'll succeed!" I get inspired, jump, and I get praised further. When it does not come out, they calmly point out to me at what stage the mistake is, they stimulate me to try again. Yeah, it's not going smoothly, but I feel like people believe me here. I've been waiting for this for so long! By the way, I will coordinate our interview myself, without a coach. Pavel Sergeevich said that he trusted me (smiles).

Your coach also works in the team of Eteri Tutberidze - he helps to prepare Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov for the Olympic Games. How does he allocate time and attention to you?
In Perm, Pavel Sergeevich spends more time and manages to help me a lot. He goes to tournaments with his adult students. Just this weekend he is going to Japan for the junior grand prix final with Katya Chikmareva and Matvey Yanchenkov. During such periods, I am taken care of by other coaches of the group - Egor Zakreev, Valentina Fedorovna Tyukova and choreographer Ivan Malofeev.

Have you thought of going to training with your senior comrades together with Pavel Sergeyevich? This is a wonderful internship in a strong coaching staff, and Evgenia Tarasova is your countrywoman.
That would be great! I didn't think about it, but the idea is now there, thanks! But first you need to form a pair. After all, I am still riding alone, and there is enough training in Perm.

So, your immediate goal in sports is obvious. Are there any worthy candidates already?
Now I'm honing the elements and maintaining the form. Pavel Sergeyevich and I discuss options, look at different guys. I'm waiting for my chance, and it's too early to announce specific names, so you won't see me at the competition this season.

Which tournament of yours is currently occupying the main place in the heart?
Final of the Junior Grand Prix in Turin in 2019. We went up from third place to second, and there were a lot of positive moments. I talked and took pictures with Yuzuru Hanyu – he is one of my idols. Live so smiling and kind! I asked Yuzuru to share a few toys that fans give him. He gave, and I kept Winnie the Pooh as a memento, gave the toys to friends and family. It's cool – a fairy-tale character from Yuzuru himself!

I noticed one hobby in your blog - paintings on canvas. Do you do them often?
Sometimes after training I do it - as a kind of therapy. I draw in the format "by numbers" (a drawing method in which the original image is divided into numbered zones and each number on the canvas of the canvas corresponds to a certain color. - "Match TV"). In general, I love all sorts of crafts and small toys, I often write them from nature. Of the materials, I most often use oil, sometimes pencils and markers.

Maybe you will organize an exhibition of your paintings, as Mark Kondratyuk did?
It would be very interesting, and I have something to show. But I'm not Mark Kondratyuk (laughs).

You also once talked about the dream of opening a café of Tatar cuisine.
Yes, I love cooking, I know how to cook different dishes, including Tatar ones. Among my favourites is a baursak made of gubadia pies. True, I myself have not eaten this delicious dish for the sake of the figure, and Roma Pleshkov often brought chak-chak as a gift. If I open my own café, I will make a very cool menu. There will be not only Tatar dishes – rather, it is mine. Dad promised to help with the business project. But for now, this is a plan for the future: now all my thoughts are devoted to self-realization in figure skating. But I'm glad there are ideas on how to live after sports.

And btw, here is Diana's former partner Vlad Antonyshev skating the SP with debutante Liza Osokina at today's Moscow City Championships:

icetug

Medalist
And btw, here is Diana's former partner Vlad Antonyshev skating the SP with debutante Liza Osokina at today's Moscow City Championships:
I'm a bit surprised - wasn't she paired with another partner? I remember I was joking that he was so handsome that I could understand Liza's decision to switch to pairs...
Anyway, I've watched this first performance and don't understand why to make a pair of a woman who can jump the most difficult triples and a man who can't jump 2A? Surely, they practiced rather shortly with Antonyshev, but I don't see them as a pair - she's quite a bit better skater overall. I hope he proves me wrong but after watching this I think she's just wasting her talent.

hanca

Record Breaker
I'm a bit surprised - wasn't she paired with another partner? I remember I was joking that he was so handsome that I could understand Liza's decision to switch to pairs...
Yes, as per her interview- she skated with Mironov, and then the coaches split them up, gave Mironov Geinish and she was paired with Antonyshev. But then she was not landing jumps with Antonyshev either, and the coaches gave up far too soon. Considering that junior season starts in August, it seems the coaches gave them three months of competing (just a few competitions) and when there were no decent results fast enough, they took Antonyshev away from her (gave him Osokina, who is a decent jumper but only this year switched to pairs) and kicked Mukhametzianova out.

I understand that if they thought she has no chance getting back the jumps, they would give up on her, but Mukhametzianova has not been struggling as long as Kostiukovich, so I am wondering why they gave up on Mukhametzianova and not yet on Kostiukovich. Before, they considered Mukhametzianova/Mironov as the couple with the most potential because they had the triple flip and lutz. I remember Mozer mentioning in the interview a year or two ago how M/M had big future unlike ‘the skaters from Perm’ (meaning Panfilova/Rylov, who was beating M/M that season even without the triples!) It is interesting how fast one can go from being the golden girl to someone they get rid of so easily.

Also, how hypocritical it is when a morbidity obese woman (Mozer) is telling tiny Mukhametzianova to lose weight? What happened to leading by setting example?

hanca

Record Breaker
Anyway, I've watched this first performance and don't understand why to make a pair of a woman who can jump the most difficult triples and a man who can't jump 2A? Surely, they practiced rather shortly with Antonyshev, but I don't see them as a pair - she's quite a bit better skater overall. I hope he proves me wrong but after watching this I think she's just wasting her talent.
I think he can jump. The problem would be that he probably had no time practising jumps for quite a while because there would have been so many pairs elements to work on. Don’t forget, Osokina is his third partner within the last year!

In December 2020 he was still skating with Finokhina, and they were not that bad, they got 166 points at their last competition - not a bad score for juniors, but she was getting too tall. Then at some stage he was paired with Mukhametzianova, so they would be working a lot on their pair elements like throws, twists etc, because each of them would be used to a different timing, and jumps would probably be the least priority at that stage. And now for the past month or two he has been skating with Osokina, and their pairs elements would need even more work because she is relatively a pair beginner.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, as per her interview- she skated with Mironov, and then the coaches split them up, gave Mironov Geinish and she was paired with Antonyshev. But then she was not landing jumps with Antonyshev either, and the coaches gave up far too soon. Considering that junior season starts in August, it seems the coaches gave them three months of competing (just a few competitions) and when there were no decent results fast enough, they took Antonyshev away from her (gave him Osokina, who is a decent jumper but only this year switched to pairs) and kicked Mukhametzianova out.

I understand that if they thought she has no chance getting back the jumps, they would give up on her, but Mukhametzianova has not been struggling as long as Kostiukovich, so I am wondering why they gave up on Mukhametzianova and not yet on Kostiukovich. Before, they considered Mukhametzianova/Mironov as the couple with the most potential because they had the triple flip and lutz. I remember Mozer mentioning in the interview a year or two ago how M/M had big future unlike ‘the skaters from Perm’ (meaning Panfilova/Rylov, who was beating M/M that season even without the triples!) It is interesting how fast one can go from being the golden girl to someone they get rid of so easily.

Also, how hypocritical it is when a morbidity obese woman (Mozer) is telling tiny Mukhametzianova to lose weight? What happened to leading by setting example?
There is something about ex-skaters (and also ex-rhythmic gymnasts) who are now overweight and being savage about their students' weight. They most likely struggled with weight themselves as athletes (I know TAT did) and it had a traumatic effect.

hanca

Record Breaker
There is something about ex-skaters (and also ex-rhythmic gymnasts) who are now overweight and being savage about their students' weight. They most likely struggled with weight themselves as athletes (I know TAT did) and it had a traumatic effect.
Not sure if that is good enough excuse to traumatise other people. Doesn’t she realise that people are thinking something about her needing to look at herself in the mirror?

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Tarasova/Morozov are planning to continue next season? If they don't I expect M/G, B/K, and P/K to be the Russian team for a while