2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 280 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
No GPF = no Trusova on Olympics for sure. A pity.
What?
she wasn’t going to GPF anyway. This doesn’t change anything for her.
If anything, it benefits Sasha that there’s no GPF, since other skaters can’t make a good case for themselves at GPF. Everything will depend on nationals, which is exactly what Sasha needs.

Arbitrary

Medalist
What?
she wasn’t going to GPF anyway. This doesn’t change anything for her.
If anything, it benefits Sasha that there’s no GPF, since other skaters can’t make a good case for themselves at GPF. Everything will depend on nationals, which is exactly what Sasha needs.

But she could have a quiet hope, one of her concurrents being hit with a trauma or bad skate or coming tired to RusNats.
Now all of three are going to RusNats in their optimal conditions.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
But she could have a quiet hope, one of her concurrents being hit with a trauma or bad skate or coming tired to RusNats.
Now all of three are going to RusNats in their optimal conditions.
You really think 1 competition would have resulted in that? It may or may not happen whether or not they all took part in GPF.
Besides, she doesn’t really need anyone injured or not at their best shape. She needs to be at semi-optimal shape herself, that would be more than enough. She scored 246 at nationals last year with „just“ 2 4Lzs.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Cant the gpf be done in another country? For example russia, i mean 5 out of six are from russia and only kaori would need to travel to russia for that?
It’s kind of late now.

Plus the rest of the word is not from Russia so plenty of people would still be inconvenienced.

macy

Record Breaker
i will say this doesn't do Aliona any good for her chances. she needed another outing (especially this one against her strongest competitors) to get at least a couple solid skates with triple axels out there before nationals.

the only way i think she can get on the team is if she places top 3 seniors at nationals with clean skates and at least 2 3As. that's a pretty tall order.

starlight97

Final Flight
But is it definitely not going to take place whatsoever or are they maybe gonna relocate it to another country?
I mean any of the countries, except Japan, that were doing GP events these past weeks could just host it in the same rink they just did the GP event?

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
But is it definitely not going to take place whatsoever or are they maybe gonna relocate it to another country?
I mean any of the countries, except Japan, that were doing GP events these past weeks could just host it in the same rink they just did the GP event?
I think it's a goner! They probably can't get visas even if another country stepped up to hold it.

I'm not sure how hard it is to move around in other places but it is hell on earth to even move interstate in Australia!

Lzbee

Final Flight
i will say this doesn't do Aliona any good for her chances. she needed another outing (especially this one against her strongest competitors) to get at least a couple solid skates with triple axels out there before nationals.

the only way i think she can get on the team is if she places top 3 seniors at nationals with clean skates and at least 2 3As. that's a pretty tall order.
Yeah it's pretty bad for Aliona and Maiia. They didn't need to beat Liza at GPF but one of them could have gotten momentum over the other and/or scored close to Liza and Sasha's SB. Now, I think it'll be very very difficult for them to get on the team unless Liza and Sasha bomb nationals.

It's good for Kamila who will be unbeaten until nationals and good for Liza who would've risked having her momentum dented by losing to one of the others.

It's kind of neutral for Anna who could've been beaten by Liza (or others) if she skated like she has done at the GPs but also robs her of a chance to beat Kamila internationally.

And it's good for Sasha, who no longer misses out on a major competition before nationals.

GINO

On the Ice
Yeah it's pretty bad for Aliona and Maiia. They didn't need to beat Liza at GPF but one of them could have gotten momentum over the other and/or scored close to Liza and Sasha's SB. Now, I think it'll be very very difficult for them to get on the team unless Liza and Sasha bomb nationals.

It's good for Kamila who will be unbeaten until nationals and good for Liza who would've risked having her momentum dented by losing to one of the others.

It's kind of neutral for Anna who could've been beaten by Liza (or others) if she skated like she has done at the GPs but also robs her of a chance to beat Kamila internationally.

And it's good for Sasha, who no longer misses out on a major competition before nationals.
I don't see anything good for Kamila. She is in great shape and GPF cancellation makes it impossible for her to collect all the titles in one season. As for the rest, I completely agree, for Sasha it is also good because she will not go down in the world rankings.

macy

Record Breaker

I don't see anything good for Kamila. She is in great shape and GPF cancellation makes it impossible for her to collect all the titles in one season. As for the rest, I completely agree, for Sasha it is also good because she will not go down in the world rankings.
IMO i think Aliona needed to beat Liza. it would put her in as a serious contender heading into nationals, especially if she did it with a couple 3As. if she beats her at nationals and is in the top 3 seniors, i think they'll take her.

Not competing here doesn't do anything negative for Kamila. she's going to the olympics barring injury.

however all that being said, i think Aliona, Maiia and Sasha could all throw a wrench into things at nationals. have there been any updates on Sasha's condition?

Imagine

Medalist
I’m a bit out of the loop in regards to Russia’s counter pandemic measures, but do we know if the Russian ladies have been vaccinated yet at this point? Or are they just planning on going to Beijing early and doing the quarantine?

icybear

Medalist
I've just realized if Alena competes at Rus Nats, she will break a record! The record of the oldest ladies skater to be coached by Eteri in a competition. Currently the prestigious record is being held by Evgenia Medvedeva at a whooping old 18 years and 3 months. Alena will become only the 2nd adult lady to compete under Eteri. I think Alena should get as much recognition for this just like how people are constantly applauding Elizaveta for being 24.

Amei

Record Breaker
I’m a bit out of the loop in regards to Russia’s counter pandemic measures, but do we know if the Russian ladies have been vaccinated yet at this point? Or are they just planning on going to Beijing early and doing the quarantine?

There was some discussion pages ago but I believe as it stands the only vaccines approved in Russia are not approved for anyone under the age of 18. Additionally I think its been said athletes unable to vaccinate will have exceptions to the quarantine requirements for Beijing.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Wow Sasha probably jumping for joy that GPF is cancelled, it would have done nothing but hurt Sasha regardless of which Russian won bronze but especially Liza.

For Anna it’s probably neutral, she doesn’t get to try 3 quads before nationals but she also doesn’t have to go up against Valieva internationally. At nationals I expect her PCS to be higher whereas if GPF was the first meeting Valieva could lead PCS.

Valieva is hurt only because she could have won the season grand slam but won’t now unless GPF is rescheduled. But it doesn’t hurt her chances of OGM at all

Liza is the one who loses out for sure, a bunch of 230 scores and a 4th place at nationals isn’t the record she needs to be selected over Sasha assuming Sasha wins nationals bronze with 235+. Had she also had a GPF bronze it would have been a different story perhaps.
Liza’s Olympic chances are now in Sasha’s hands. If Sasha is restrained and only goes for two quads and lands them she will make the team over Liza. If she falls on one especially if she gets a +COMBO then it’s possible.

Liza’s best shot now is that Trusova gets intimidated by the number of women who can beat her in the short (at least 6) and goes for a 3A herself and misses it. If Trusova is buried in the short like at Worlds Liza’s chances go way up. Now that Usacheva and Akatieva aren’t competing at nationals though, Trusova might like her chances of making the final group without 3A.

Advantage: Trusova

halulupu

Final Flight

On the other what she really needs is training time. Eteri can make a krustalny gpf. Just repace kaori and liza with juniors.