2021 Finlandia Trophy: Men's Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021 Finlandia Trophy: Men's Free Skate

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Is anyone else surprised they retain swear words in men’s program? Is it a non-English-speaking thing or that Americans tend to be more pearl-clutchers than other cultures, especially European? Would Jason or Nathan have swear words in their programs? (Or do they? ) These kinds of linguistic things fascinate me. There are words that are considered a big deal in US but aren’t in UK English and vice versa.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Is anyone else surprised they retain swear words in men’s program? Is it a non-English-speaking thing or that Americans tend to be more pearl-clutchers than other cultures, especially European? Would Jason or Nathan have swear words in their programs? (Or do they? ) These kinds of linguistic things fascinate me. There are words that are considered a big deal in US but aren’t in UK English and vice versa.
I heard at least one f-bomb in a junior dance program this season :shrug:

viennaskater

Medalist
Okay that's hilarious, the music is still "Sail" so I guess it was just the wrong mix of it? Who knows.

Not the worst, considering that huge delay which would have rattled my nerves considerably. But a couple of falls will keep him back.
Sounds like they started it wrong. Can't understand the long delay though.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone else surprised they retain swear words in men’s program? Is it a non-English-speaking thing or that Americans tend to be more pearl-clutchers than other cultures, especially European?

My guess would be 'yes.' It isn't that we have so many Puritans still, although they exist in one form or another. It's more that America was established by the Puritans and the taboos infiltrated, even though the prudery didn't exist, beforehand, in other groups that contributed as much to the general ethos. Particularly Scots-Irish. And the pearl-clutching could persist when the religion changed.

Would Jason or Nathan have swear words in their programs? (Or do they? )

My guess would be no. I'm tempted to say 'never,' but I try never to say never.

These kinds of linguistic things fascinate me. There are words that are considered a big deal in US but aren’t in UK English and vice versa.

Me too! (shaking hands across the universe) When I spent 6 weeks in England, my friends and I had fun comparing.

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
Saw Brendan's costume at Nebelhorn and didn't like it..... yep, still don't like it. Very few times you can pull off that half and half shirt thing.

Little smile when he landed the 3A combo aww.

I would like to see him perform more. Like I know it's The Greatest Showman but you don't have to be as bland as the movie I swear.

Uhhh that probably sounds mean so let me say, seeing Brendan not go SPLAT is great! And this was not a bad outing for him, I'm just cranky about the music. :biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
[/QUOTE
Definitely Americans and the pearl clutching I think.