2021 JGP Austria: Women's Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Austria: Women's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Fun fact, Dmitri Mikhailov won a JGP bronze in this very city 3 years ago :LOL:

(They had the same coach as Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy who won ice dance gold today)
not sure i can watch this... i have a rule not to look at juniors that way

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Omg, omg, I was watching Finlandia and Linz, but I am so happy for Murav’yeva and I adore this program. Also, loved Levito and Kate Wang and Petrokina. I am sorry that Zinina didn’t manage her quads, but she fought to the end and there is a lot to come from her, I am sure…

And there we have the final! And what a final it would be!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I just came in to see the reactions of those who kept saying the worst about Levito and saying how she doesn't deserve the JGPF over the other Russians and how Zinina would soundly defeat her after the FS... when in fact she ended up 18 points behind her. :popcorn:

Congrats to Muravieva and Levito for excellent competitions! :clap:

Zinina will bounce back, but hopefully this is a wakeup for her that without the quads she'll have to fall back on the rest of her skating, and she'll get hammered on PCS if that doesn't improve - especially when she's not at home.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Well, what can I say? I completely agree with this pedestal. And with relative PCS values: Sonya > Isabel > Nastya.
But I don't agree with the absolute values. Isabel hasn't yet 63.43 PCS not with such simple and careful entrances to the lutz, and with large bends on landings.

As we say, "it was a mushroom war" :) It's mean "war of feds"

But the result is reasonable, just a little inflationary

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
As we say, "it was a mushroom war" :) It's mean "war of feds"
Lol, I've read that translation so often on the Russian figure skating forum and wondered why everyone was talking about mushrooms. Now I know!
Yesterday I listened to the Russian commentary (it had Nikita Mikhailov, I believe!) on one of the vk streams from Finlandia, and there I learned that бабушка (granny) is apparently what Russians call a popped jump. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes! I’m in tears 😭 of happiness for Sofia! I knew she didn’t need to do much to beat Zinina’s score, after Zinina’s performance, to make it to the finals. I feel sorry for Zinina though, as she is now second alternate behind Sofia S. However, I feel bad Sofia S. isn’t in the finals automatically over Lindsay T (won a weaker event) or Zhilina (only competed in one event). We almost had the top four from Russian Nationals all make it into the Finals. It just goes to show you how important the experience domestically is for these international events. The top three at Russian Nationals are now set along with Zhilina to duke it out in Japan. Sofia S. will now have to compete at Russian Cup Events to qualify for Nationals. I hope she proves herself there and kills it at Nationals. Sofia S. is my second favourite Junior. Like Anna Frolova in 2019, she is first alternate this year. That Camp is so close to the Finals.

Levito shocked me with how well she performed. Her jumps should get lower GOE, but, her PCS was well deserved. I thought she should have been around 205, overall. She is the only International Junior athlete able to compete against the Russians and I think this was reflected in the inflated score. She is a star for America and I’m excited to watch her and Lindsay combining with Alysa, in the future, to replace some of the Senior Women, who just don’t get any better, but are actually getting worse.

After Levito’s performance, I was nervous for Sofia M., as she seemed nervous, as well. After she landed two 2A’s, I thought that was interesting, because it was different than the technical layout out she skated over in Kosice. I instantly knew she was going to do a 3F-eu-3S combo in the second half, as the 3S is her best and most confident triple. She increased her technical difficulty to give herself a chance to win the Gold. I was so happy when she landed all her jumps. Her jumps have way better flow than Levito. I was mad she didn’t nail her step sequence at a level 4. This element is what separates her from the pack, in my eyes. But, I agree, she was more hesitant in this skate than at Kosice cause she had something on the line, here. I agree with her marks and agree with her PCS score being slightly lower here than in Kosice. Overall, I’m so happy my favourite junior won and is locked to go to the Grand Prix finals. Her score of 211 surpassed Adeliya’s score of 210. Now she can go home and maybe learn that 4S, so she can attempt it in the finals in Japan by replacing the first 2A. She mentioned that her attempt at Test skate was the closest she has come to landing that jump. All practice attempts were under rotated. But, that jump, at Test skate, was fully rotated and so high and beautiful, until she fell. So, she needs to work hard to up her technical difficulty, a bit more, to match her beautiful artistry.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Lol, I've read that translation so often on the Russian figure skating forum and wondered why everyone was talking about mushrooms. Now I know!
Yesterday I listened to the Russian commentary on one of the vk streams from Finlandia, and there I learned that бабушка (granny) is apparently what Russians call a popped jumped. :ROFLMAO:
Not exactly. Original slang for popped jumped is "бабочка" (butterfly). Say "he made a butterfly". Apparently, when a figure skater does this, he sort of spreads his limbs (to slow down the speed of rotation) and kind of looks like a butterfly spreading its wings. But everyone shortens this long word to "бабон" (something like "butters", "buts") or "бабка" what is already turning into "grandma" This is due to the fact that both "бабочка" and "бабушка" (grandmother) come from the same root - "баба" (old russian "woman")

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yesterday I listened to the Russian commentary (it had Nikita Mikhailov, I believe!) on one of the vk streams from Finlandia, and there I learned that бабушка (granny) is apparently what Russians call a popped jump. :ROFLMAO:
Mushrooms (relative quantities of) are not necessarily about a war of the Feds, different skaters within a Federation can get different amounts of mushrooms, which constantly gets flung about on Russian forums by those who feel that certain skaters are overscored and certain others do not get enough love from the Fed.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
different skaters within a Federation can get different amounts of mushrooms,
So more mushrooms mean more love from the fed? Are mushrooms generally a thing in Russia that you would give to someone you like? Otherwise, it would be an interesting figure of speech. I think in my part of the woods we would give out candies or honey.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Not exactly. Original slang for popped jumped is "бабочка" (butterfly). Say "he made a butterfly". Apparently, when a figure skater does this, he sort of spreads his limbs (to slow down the speed of rotation) and kind of looks like a butterfly spreading its wings. But everyone shortens this long word to "бабон" (something like "butters", "buts") or "бабка" what is already turning into "grandma" This is due to the fact that both "бабочка" and "бабушка" (grandmother) come from the same root - "баба" (old russian "woman")
Ahh, I see, it sounded like бабушка to me, since I knew that word. Now I've learned a new vocabulary бабочка! It makes more sense to call the popped jumps butterflies, because as you said, when the skaters open up their legs, they resemble butterflies spreading their wings.
And I thought they called them grannies, since every Russian granny can jump a single Axel or double toe. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the lesson in Russian figure skating linguistics!

vorravorra

Record Breaker
So more mushrooms mean more love from the fed? Are mushrooms generally a thing in Russia that you would give to someone you like? Otherwise, it would be an interesting figure of speech. I think in my part of the woods we would give out candies or honey.
No, this started with a commentator saying the judges must have consumed too many (presumably of the wrong kind of) mushrooms to give a skater a particularly high score, and then caught on. So mushrooms are something a Fed supplies to the judges in different amounts depending on its support for a particular skater or skater's coach. Feds with different power have different amounts of mushrooms to go around and must apportion them between their country's skaters. Minor Federations don't have any and their skaters must go mushroomless which is why they are generally not scored highly.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
No, this started with a commentator saying the judges must have consumed too many (presumably of the wrong kind of) mushrooms to give a skater a particularly high score, and then caught on. So mushrooms are something a Fed supplies to the judges in different amounts depending on its support for a particular skater or skater's coach. Feds with different power have different amounts of mushrooms to go around and must apportion them between their country's skaters. Minor Federations don't have any and their skaters must go mushroomless which is why they are generally not scored highly.
Thanks for the explanation! Otherwise I would have ended up going to the next competition and instead of throwing a stuffed animal to my favourite Russian skater, I would have thrown a tin of mushrooms. What a faux pas that would have been. 🙀

Ok, sorry mods, I will stop derailing this thread now (although I feel we learned some important stuff here that furthers cultural understanding).