2021 JGP Austria: Women's Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Austria: Women's Free Skate

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No, this started with a commentator saying the judges must have consumed too many (presumably of the wrong kind of) mushrooms to give a skater a particularly high score, and then caught on. So mushrooms are something a Fed supplies to the judges in different amounts depending on its support for a particular skater or skater's coach. Feds with different power have different amounts of mushrooms to go around and must apportion them between their country's skaters. Minor Federations don't have any and their skaters must go mushroomless which is why they are generally not scored highly.
Based on the women's SP, Finland's got better mushrooms than Austria at this time of year. :laugh:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I just came in to see the reactions of those who kept saying the worst about Levito and saying how she doesn't deserve the JGPF over the other Russians and how Zinina would soundly defeat her after the FS... when in fact she ended up 18 points behind her. :popcorn:

Zinina got 139 in Krasnoyarsk, with a clean skate she would have likely won the free here in Austria.

It's just the quads are more risky, we've seen it with Trusova these years.

I stand by what i wrote yesterday that the three medalists are comparable skaters.

Zinina will bounce back,...

Hopefully cause in Russia it doesn't really work that way, if you fail, there are like 15 other girls ready to take that spot.

I've heard it too many times for so many russian girls that just disappeared for one bad JGP performance. (Gubanova for instance, who is now competing for Georgia after years of struggle on getting that recognition from the Federation)

It's okay i think, it wasn't a complete bomb, she landed all the triples, also silver and bronze isn't too bad, and in other fields what she did in Krasnoyarsk would have been more than enough to win the event.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Zinina got 139 in Krasnoyarsk, with a clean skate she would have likely won the free here in Austria.

I stand by what i wrote yesterday that the three medalists are comparable skaters.

Hopefully cause in Russia it doesn't really work that way, if you fail, there are like 15 other girls ready to take that spot.

I've heard it too many times for so many russian girls that just disappeared for one bad JGP performance. (Gubanova for instance, who is now competing for Georgia after years of struggle on getting that recognition from the Federation)

It's okay i think, it wasn't a complete bomb, she landed all the triples, also silver and bronze isn't too bad, and in other fields what she did in Krasnoyarsk would have been more than enough to win the event.
To me Zinina is the least interesting of the three so far. If she gets her quads together she'll be a contender but she needs to get a grip on her nerves, that can be at least as important as having a repectable jump arsenal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Sure, but she didn't. There are several skaters who would have won free skates or been on podiums or won if they hit all their planned content. Even after her disastrous SP, Trusova would have likely won Worlds if she had hit all her planned LP content.

It definitely wasnt' a complete bomb and she hit very hard elements after, but without the quads, the skate wasn't notable, and of course the falls detracted from it.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Thanks for the explanation! Otherwise I would have ended up going to the next competition and instead of throwing a stuffed animal to my favourite Russian skater, I would have thrown a tin of mushrooms. What a faux pas that would have been. 🙀

Ok, sorry mods, I will stop derailing this thread now (although I feel we learned some important stuff here that furthers cultural understanding).
Yes, highlighting politicking done on behalf of the skater is hardly a compliment.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Now I am worried about huge stuffed vegetables they seem to like throwing to Japanese skaters… I hope it’s not something like the Russian ‘shrooms.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So more mushrooms mean more love from the fed? Are mushrooms generally a thing in Russia that you would give to someone you like? Otherwise, it would be an interesting figure of speech. I think in my part of the woods we would give out candies or honey.
Mushroom hunting is a legit thing in Russia, people go out with big baskets and come back with mountains of mushrooms! Katia Bobrova and her family did it recently. I assume Russians are well-versed in what mushrooms are safe to eat.

Here in Australia wild mushroom gathering is not encouraged after a rather tragic story of a family who picked what they thought were edible mushrooms but were actually poisonous ones 😔

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, mushroom hunting is big in Polish families as well. My in-laws used to.go mushroom hunting for morels, which are very tasty and have no look alike poisonous mushrooms. My sister in law used to can them.

There was a bad Polish joke my relatives used to tell about Polish mushroom hunting:

Only 20 people were killed by the atomic bomb in Hiroshima-the rest were trampled to death by Polish people looking for the big mushroom.