2021 Skate America: General Info | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: General Info

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Las Vegas is a big city these days, it's been seeing rapid growth as of late. That sort of issue happens with small towns, not big cities. Surely it would have both kinds of cell service... (I use a phone from T-Mobile, which I believe is connected to the Verizon network and worked in Vegas the last time I was there)

What you really have to be concerned about is whether your phones are iPhones or whether they run on Android (basically every other type of phone). If they're Android phones, you can download the Google Pay app on your phone. After the app is installed and set up, go to your COMPUTER, go to the Orleans ticket website, log in, and there should be a button by your tickets on the ticket page to transfer them to Google pay. Double-check the app, it should have an events section, and if you click on that, your tickets will be there!

I don't have an iPhone, but the corresponding app appears to be Apple Wallet.

If worse comes to worse, you can call the Orleans ticket office to ask for assistance. The guy who works there is very helpful (he informed me that you needed to transfer the tickets on the computer, not the phone).

Hope this helps.

Yes, it is Apple Wallet. I’m going to Simone Biles tour for my birthday - Sapphire VIP, thanks mom and dad - and the whole thing is digital, no paper tickets. The process is super easy if one buys through Ticketmaster. I’m not sure about buying at the box office.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all! I’m super excited to attend Skate America. I’ve never been to a live figure skating event (other than Disney on Ice lol), so I’m curious what to expect. Are there any specific rules of etiquette I should be aware of (beyond normal good manners and Covid precautions)?

Most excitedly and importantly, do you know if we will be able to throw stuffed animals on the ice?

I’ve also seen people chat about trading pins at other competitions. Is that only for major events like Worlds or will that be a thing here? What kind of pins are they talking about? Like homemade or do you buy them somewhere? Could a random fan like me join in?

Thanks in advance for any tips for a newbie!

Hi Shellerby,

Welcome to GS. I have a feeling we are going to be good friends! I am faintly obsessed with stuffies and right now have a garage full of them, to my BIL’s great dismay. If you can’t throw them onto the ice at this competition you’ll just have to go to another!

I don’t know anything about pin trading. I’ve only been to one Worlds and that was my first ever in person skating event.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good info. I dont know why this stuff is all a big secret before each of the 30 events I have been to.
I dont throw things out of courtesy, I would ask that you put them in zip lock bags so that parts of toys dont stick to the ice and cause a pairs team to fall. I have seen holds where people search an search for some small part of a costume.....
Unless you are Rika Kihira, and people throw $200 toys at you, most of the skaters look in the bins, take the letters, and send the toys to childrens hospitals...
I am so old I remember when people dressed up, clapped and didnt scream and throw things at skaters.

Can you even put Boyd ticketmaster tickets on stubhub? My tickets dont show up on my ticketmaster account, only my Boyd Gaming ticketmaster account. There seems to be a way to change the user person, though. I am going to Vegas but am rethinking Nashville. There was just now a super spreader event at the Pendleton OR rodeo and people dont seem to understand that they should use real masks that fit over the nose.

How far back are we going? People were throwing real flowers at Dorothy Hamill in 1976. And those had to have created a mess.

I buy regular stuffed animals. None of them have ever stuck to the ice. Nor had a part fall off. It’s not like we are throwing dead octopi onto the ice like they do for Red Wings games.

I don’t typically throw things at “big name” skaters unless it is Gracie or I have a special stuffie for them. I throw to Juniors and skaters who skate in the early groups. They usually pick them up and take them into the K&C (they don’t get much). If someone gets something really cool they may keep it - I’m thinking of a stuffed rat who got thrown to someone and got its own Twitter account.

I don’t know about this comp, but at Cranberry International they were very serious about masks and did warn people and make them put on their masks correctly. 99% of us were so grateful to be at a live skating event we had our masks on and didn’t need to be told.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's the United States, where I'm pretty sure the clear bag policy is common in any sporting venue, so probably. I wouldn't risk carrying a non-clear bag only to have to find a place to put it if you can't bring it in
I emailed Brent about this regarding US Nationals because the Nashville arena has this policy and was told that this was standard policy for arenas but “the arenas make exceptions for our events.” I have no idea if this would apply to Skate America. In my limited experience with International events they tend to get snootier at International events than at US Nationals. Unless it’s Philly International which is its own kind of awesome.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The best way to find out is to email Brent.
I already caved and bought my plastic bag. It will be interesting to see what they do with people who don't have their infamous plastic bags, They may have a mutiny on their hands! Wish you were coming moonvine!..I'm working on my signs and other paraphernalia!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I already caved and bought my plastic bag. It will be interesting to see what they do with people who don't have their infamous plastic bags, They may have a mutiny on their hands! Wish you were coming moonvine!..I'm working on my signs and other paraphernalia!
I kind of do too! Can’t go everywhere though. Unfortunately🥲

doublequad

On the Ice
I am looking for tickets to the ladies FS on Sunday. This will be my first time watching a competition live. Where are the best sections to sit? It looks like the front rows of most sections are already sold out - are there good places to see if those tickets are available for resale? I see on Stubhub there's a ticket for 117 Row A? Is that the first row? What about row BB?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
@doublequad

I only went once, in Kelowna in 2019, but I really liked sitting in the sector between judges and Kiss and Cry. I am doing the same for Skate America.

Also, live event was amazing compared to TV, and practices were the best! Okay, the competition was exciting too, once the audience warmed up. But some skaters just look so much more impressive live. Like, Bradie Tennell is much more impressive live for me, and Trusova taking off ice basically is insane, particularly when you see her actual height.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy it!

I was really lucky, guys, and tickets transferred to Google pay without a hitch (an exhale of relief from me)

The only thing left is to line up a test before the flight an actually make it to Vegas, then to the arena! Fingers crossed. 😅

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
How far back are we going? People were throwing real flowers at Dorothy Hamill in 1976. And those had to have created a mess.

I buy regular stuffed animals. None of them have ever stuck to the ice. Nor had a part fall off. It’s not like we are throwing dead octopi onto the ice like they do for Red Wings games.

I don’t typically throw things at “big name” skaters unless it is Gracie or I have a special stuffie for them. I throw to Juniors and skaters who skate in the early groups. They usually pick them up and take them into the K&C (they don’t get much). If someone gets something really cool they may keep it - I’m thinking of a stuffed rat who got thrown to someone and got its own Twitter account.

I don’t know about this comp, but at Cranberry International they were very serious about masks and did warn people and make them put on their masks correctly. 99% of us were so grateful to be at a live skating event we had our masks on and didn’t need to be told.
Glad someone is serious about mask rules. The great thing about the 3M 1870+ is that it is a full legal surgical mask rated for squirting blood. It wont fog glasses if worn properly and its now under $3 and can be re-used if done properly. There is no outlet valve and it packs flat.
I usually sit in the front row. I dont know how many times I have had to point out to the sweeper head that some (Blank) threw a small toy onto the ice after the sweepers went by.
There is a reason you see skaters before their name is called reach down and pic up some small item and throw it over the boards. I dont mind the rule that says you have to put things in plastic ziplock bags. There is very little research now about how easy it is with Delta to touch a surface and rub your eye and get a viral load.
At the end of the day, I really dont care if the skaters dont. The toys go into a bin, and they skater looks through the bin and the toys go to a childrens hospital or the back of a squad car to give to child victums of car wrecks.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
@doublequad

I only went once, in Kelowna in 2019, but I really liked sitting in the sector between judges and Kiss and Cry. I am doing the same for Skate America.

Also, live event was amazing compared to TV, and practices were the best! Okay, the competition was exciting too, once the audience warmed up. But some skaters just look so much more impressive live. Like, Bradie Tennell is much more impressive live for me, and Trusova taking off ice basically is insane, particularly when you see her actual height.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy it!

I was really lucky, guys, and tickets transferred to Google pay without a hitch (an exhale of relief from me)

The only thing left is to line up a test before the flight an actually make it to Vegas, then to the arena! Fingers crossed. 😅
I am now at the third level of Google Pay Technicians/tech support...they cant solve my problem but I dont care. I got screen shots and my receipts and the tickets appear on my phone if I have cell coverage or wifi. I can load up the ticket in my room and then walk to the arena and show it.

I wonder if you have the same credit care on google pay that you bought the tickets with and if you set up google pay before buying tickets?
Be ware that Southwest Airlines has lied their heads off on why they had to cancel 2,000 flights this weekend. ATC issues were all fixed by Friday.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Normally, they like clear plastic bags for easier security, but have always caved and allowed the shopping bags. But in the age of covid , I have no idea what will happen. I CAN tell you at Worlds LA (2009?) they were very strict about camera lens sizes. They had a checkroom for those breaking the rules and if you didnt want to leave your $2,000 lens there, or in your car, you had an interesting decision to make. I just stood there and watched the fun....kind of like watching people launch their boats at a busy boat launch.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, it is Apple Wallet. I’m going to Simone Biles tour for my birthday - Sapphire VIP, thanks mom and dad - and the whole thing is digital, no paper tickets. The process is super easy if one buys through Ticketmaster. I’m not sure about buying at the box office.
Aye, there's the rub. Our tickets here at SA were not purchased directly through ticketmaster. They dont appear in my TM account. They do appear in my am.ticketmaster.com/boydgaming account. The boydgaming account says they went to my google pay account. Three levels of google pay tech support people cant find them. That is why I made screen shots of the tickets...I can always use those, I can load the days ticket onto my phone with cell RF or wifi and I am bringing my receipt. And my friend found out so many old people were having issues they decided to open the box office and issue tickets. What they dont know about us old people is that we basically like to talk with humans, we like to read paper books, and its WE who have the money to spend on expensive skating events. Holland America Line is a cruise line that caters to us old people. They know how to make us happy and feel cared about. Like valued customers. Not like at US Nationals Cleveland where security literally through us out of the judges side of the arena during the novice ladies short to the other side of the arena, then came back the next day and appologized. This lady told security that this was HER seat and that she was NOT going anywhere....till he brought in two other goons to help "move" her.a cleveland.JPG

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am now at the third level of Google Pay Technicians/tech support...they cant solve my problem but I dont care. I got screen shots and my receipts and the tickets appear on my phone if I have cell coverage or wifi. I can load up the ticket in my room and then walk to the arena and show it.

I wonder if you have the same credit care on google pay that you bought the tickets with and if you set up google pay before buying tickets?
Be ware that Southwest Airlines has lied their heads off on why they had to cancel 2,000 flights this weekend. ATC issues were all fixed by Friday.
I am flying from Canada, so I am with WestJet/Delta. It costs almost as much as a flight to Europe for a 2 and half hrs flight, but what can you do….

My plastic bag came in too, and boy, it would be weird walking around with everything you have in full display. I guess, I will wrap it all in an American flag 🇺🇸 🤷‍♀️ Maybe for people who drive to venue and park it’s different, but I am taking a bus 😂

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am flying from Canada, so I am with WestJet/Delta. It costs almost as much as a flight to Europe for a 2 and half hrs flight, but what can you do….

My plastic bag came in too, and boy, it would be weird walking around with everything you have in full display. I guess, I will wrap it all in an American flag 🇺🇸 🤷‍♀️ Maybe for people who drive to venue and park it’s different, but I am taking a bus 😂
When I flew to Vancouver for a cruise (from Spokane,) the price was way high. I was told that Canada has some interesting charges internally for flying across their boarder...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Southwest Airlines update. Monday. Still hundreds of flights canceled. When you overbook your flights, and one is cancelled, there is a ripple effect if all the planes of all the airlines are full. No slack in the system. Crews were even left out in the cold with no motels anywhere. No way to fly to their next work assignment. Working planes and crews have to show up at an airport together. If there is bad weather, there is no slack in the system. But in this case, SW had ten times the cancellations of all the US airlines.
Hopefully, I leave on the 19th from Spokane. I built in an extra day for sight seeing. I am going to try and build in yet another extra day once the SW phone lines clear. If my flight is canceled, I am just going to drive there. Its 1,000 miles and two days so I can still make it. The SW Pilots union says this is not connected to the coming mass firing of unvaxed personel, but rather to poor management policies by SW.
Round trip flights on working airlines are about $500 right now, by the way. Hard decisions.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My flight was around around $500 for Chicago to Vegas round trip on AA. That's pretty steep! Fortunately, I still had a $300 credit with them from when Montreal Worlds was cancelled, so that took the pain out of it a little bit. I'm flying in on Weds. and hope it all goes without any glitches. We'll see, so many times we have weather-related issues.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Does anyone know which practice sessions will be open to event ticket holders...?

So far it just says numerous. The ticket is not stamped with anything…
When I flew to Vancouver for a cruise (from Spokane,) the price was way high. I was told that Canada has some interesting charges internally for flying across their boarder...
Yes, we are extremely expensive domestically, so that quickly adds up. Bit pandemic had weird impact on that, because my mom snagged tickets for like improbably prices of 39 or 49 canada-bucks, so that’s why we were watching Linz together and she is coming for Rus Nats and probably Olympics too. But Vegas… ouch! And when I tried to look into ticket for an extra day so I didn’t have to drop the hotel, omg, it was 300$ on top of it! That’s why I am going to ride the bus in Vegas, lol

In other news, Samsonov WD 🥲

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Normally, they like clear plastic bags for easier security, but have always caved and allowed the shopping bags. But in the age of covid , I have no idea what will happen. I CAN tell you at Worlds LA (2009?) they were very strict about camera lens sizes. They had a checkroom for those breaking the rules and if you didnt want to leave your $2,000 lens there, or in your car, you had an interesting decision to make. I just stood there and watched the fun....kind of like watching people launch their boats at a busy boat launch.

Funny story: my sister and I went to Worlds in 2016 to see Gracie (well I went to see Gracie, Michelle went to keep me company). They were super strict about everything. There was a mass of Japanese fans there patiently waiting. Our seats were not going to get any better standing in a line for an hour so we sat against the wall. They were strict about everything including that “no outside food or drink” thing. People started offering us their food and drinks so they didn’t have to throw them away, including some really really good baked goods. I was like really, you don’t want that, the line hasn’t even started to be admitted yet. We were well fed that day😂😂😂😂😂

Last year I was having difficulties and using the wheelchair pushers a lot. There’s not really a good way to wand you like that. I pray no one abuses this and tries to hurt anyone but they let me get away with murder with all the stuff I brought in.

I can’t afford cameras with 2,000 lenses. My iPhone has a better camera on it than any I’ll ever be likely to be able to afford, so no worries there. At worst I’d have to check some Diet Coke and stuffed animals.