2021 Skate Canada: Men's Free Skate | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Men's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
don't see how they are ( taking out personal preference) better than Jason artistically in other categories.
I don’t appreciate Brown’s performance and musicality as high as others do, because I find him saccharine and pretentious instead of performing from the heart, like say Uno, and neither he has that being one with the music impression I get from Hanyu. Given that his technical content is far behind the Japanese and American guys, I don’t find his SS as impressive, because any number of ice dancers can do deep-low-fast better. He sure doesn’t skate practically in a squat like Uno does. The trick, to me, is to maintain the pretty skating with comparable technical base, and Brown just doesn’t have the comparable technical base. I also don’t see how his spins are any prettier, and if spins were the thing, Grassl would be world champion. Before people where saying Brown’s triples were out of this world, but now he is doubling his triples and falls on 3A.

So, no, I don’t really see how he just had to be above Semenenko

readernick

Medalist
Nobody is upset? I knew it was going to happen and that he would be in the final. It would be Chen, Zhou, Brown, Hanyu, Uno and Kagiyama. If they didn’t want Brown in the final, they would have let Semenenko take silver, that’s all. Semenenko still solidified his hold on the potential Olympic spot.

I think Kolyada has a real shot at the final. I suspect he will make it over Jason if he lands things... He does hit bullet points when he does his job. Amazing quality.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm talking about him using his arms for acting during his program, yes. Arms are an important vehicle for expression, aren't they? Pottering arms make an impression of laxness detracting spectators' attention.

I do not know the word "pottering" but I will try to answer, and I hope we are talking about the same movements. Jason's choreography has him deliberately holding his body with one arm and using the other as a free arm to express grief. The arm movements are all planned, it is not as though Jason is swinging one arm back because he doesn't know what do with it.

I suppose if you don't like the choreography, that may be more the choreographer's issue, but as this piece speaks personally to Jason, I don't think he means to be lax.

Of course, his arms are used in a far different way in "Sinnerman".

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think Kolyada had a real shot at the final. I suspect he will make it over Jason if he lands things...
That what I thought before today that Brown and Kolyada would be tied for the last slot with double silver, and Kolyada’s single event score would break the tie. Not after what I have seen today though… Kolyada is more easily blocked in Italy and Russia than Brown in France. Not that I am a fan of Kolyada either. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Matthew

On the Ice
I do not know the word "pottering" but I will try to answer, and I hope we are talking about the same movements. Jason's choreography has him deliberately holding his body with one arm and using the other as a free arm to express grief. The arm movements are all planned, it is not as though Jason is swinging one arm back because he doesn't know what do with it.

I suppose if you don't like the choreography, that may be more the choreographer's issue, but as this piece speaks personally to Jason, I don't think he means to be lax.

Of course, his arms are used in a far different way in "Sinnerman".
With "pottering" I mean, in fact, "dangling". Have just rewatched his program and seen that the time spans during which he uses just one of his arms with the other one dangling are not so many, but stroke me when watching him live, earlier. So, have to attenuate my proposition.
Regarding the cause of skaters movements lying in choreography: of course, that's so, but the impression a skater makes on the audience depends on his choreography, regardless from whom it stems.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Does anyone else find Jason's box split jump very out of place in a Schindler's List program? For all the talk of Sasha's cantilever this is up there.
No, it was, tbh, not expected, but if you watch ballets, there are equivalents (running grand jettes) and the like even in scenes of tragedy. given the way Jason listened to and heard every note of the music, and the emotion of it, I would not call it out of place...but this begs the question if schindler's list is appropriate to skate to at all. but that has already been debated.

sworddance21

On the Ice
So - re-watching Jason's program. At about the 2 minute mark - did he totally turn a prep for a jump (must not have felt right) into a split jump, then do a couple of choreo turns and actually do the jump? :clap::clap::clap::clap:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, it was, tbh, not expected, but if you watch ballets, there are equivalents (running grand jettes) and the like even in scenes of tragedy. given the way Jason listened to and heard every note of the music, and the emotion of it, I would not call it out of place...but this begs the question if schindler's list is appropriate to skate to at all. but that has already been debated.

I appreciate your input and I understand the question about the appropriateness of Schindler's List programs.

Without entering into that debate, my only comment would be that an additional factor to consider for Jason is that he is skating to the music to honor the grief of his own heritage.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm just thankful that Nathan stayed upright. I was so worried after everyone else wiped the ice... seems Jason cleansed that palate some. Keegan's fall on his face was super concerning, but social media has shown that he's doing okay. Still very scary.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just thankful that Nathan stayed upright. I was so worried after everyone else wiped the ice... seems Jason cleansed that palate some. Keegan's fall on his face was super concerning, but social media has shown that he's doing okay. Still very scary.
That was sooo scary, and I’m glad Keegan is OK.

Not only an exciting skater, but a class act as a person. 🙌

eterialskating

On the Ice
I don’t appreciate Brown’s performance and musicality as high as others do, because I find him saccharine and pretentious instead of performing from the heart, like say Uno, and neither he has that being one with the music impression I get from Hanyu. Given that his technical content is far behind the Japanese and American guys, I don’t find his SS as impressive, because any number of ice dancers can do deep-low-fast better. He sure doesn’t skate practically in a squat like Uno does. The trick, to me, is to maintain the pretty skating with comparable technical base, and Brown just doesn’t have the comparable technical base. I also don’t see how his spins are any prettier, and if spins were the thing, Grassl would be world champion. Before people where saying Brown’s triples were out of this world, but now he is doubling his triples and falls on 3A.

So, no, I don’t really see how he just had to be above Semenenko
I've never been a fan of Jason's supposed artistic prowess so I cannot share the same enthusiasm his fans shower upon him. What I demand though from top skaters is a commitment to excellence in all departments especially the ones that receive top PCS. I'm not satisfied at endless attempts of UR quads and iffy 3A's. This is not ice dancing.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Anyone know if the CBC Canadian feed for the Pairs SP had the same blackout as the ISU and Peacock feeds? I've put a link to it on the video page but do not have time to check it.
Based on comments in the LR threads (and videos of pairs SP posted on reddit), CBC stream is good.

silveruskate

On the Ice
It's not equivalent because it's not about the athleticism itself - Yuzuru's open axel would have been beautiful there. There is just no grace in spreading your legs and touching your toes at literally the softest part of the piece between 2 glides. Ballet wouldn't make such a faux pas.