2022-23 GPF Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022-23 GPF Senior Men's Free Skate

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia needs to figure out why he can't skate a clean SP no way should he be losing to Sota. And what's with the bullshit low PCS scores?
I feel like that he either needs to go back to his old SP from last year (Which I know some might not like the cover of that song, but I love it) or get a new one. I feel like it's the program itself. Because the last 4 competitions, he wasn't exactly totally clean in any of those skates to it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm so happy to see that Ilia doesn't appear to be injured. To see him make the podium after his low score in the SP should give him the confidence to know that when he skates his best, he is one of the best Men in the World.

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like that he either needs to go back to his old SP from last year (Which I know some might not like the cover of that song, but I love it) or get a new one. I feel like it's the program itself. Because the last 4 competitions, he wasn't exactly totally clean in any of those skates to it.
I think he should go back to his previous short. We know he can score high in the short. Its no shame to ditch a program.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just came in to see the top three skates, unexpectedly awake at this time ;) well deserved gentlemen.

The PCS scores were *perfect* in my opinion. No throwing around PCS like it‘s candy or as a quad bonus. Shoma is head and shoulders above the others in this comp and category and deserves the PCS cushion.

Glad to see Ilia fight back. Skating is based on two programs, I don’t think this is all injury. He needs to get his mind right and skate two programs as well as he can. Easier said than done, I know. :)

Sota is smooth like buttah. Wasn’t expecting it, but good for him too.

readernick

Medalist
Ilia needs to figure out why he can't skate a clean SP no way should he be losing to Sota. And what's with the bullshit low PCS scores?
That’s correct PCS scoring. Frankly, his SS are worse than all the Japanese men and certainly not better than Grassl. His performance skills aren’t exactly incredible either. The judges weren’t just giving out fake PCS here.

Anyway, this was an incredible competition. A large number of clean, enjoyable skates. Everyone was pretty amazing and skated close to their best with the exception of Kao. Not something we can often say about men’s figure skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That’s correct PCS scoring. Frankly, his SS are worse than all the Japanese men and certainly not better than Grassl. His performance skills aren’t exactly incredible either. The judges weren’t just giving out fake PCS here.

Anyway, this was an incredible competition. A large number of clean, enjoyable skates. Everyone was pretty amazing and skated close to their best with the exception of Kao. Not something we can often say about men’s figure skating.
Ilia is still quite young. This is his first season as a "Contender" for the National Title. The spotlight has been on Nathan for years and I think he feels the pressure as the clear front runner in the US. As we just saw, he is also a medal threat at Worlds.

readernick

Medalist
Ilia is still quite young. This is his first season as a "Contender" for the National Title. The spotlight has been on Nathan for years and I think he feels the pressure as the clear front runner in the US. As we just saw, he is also a medal threat at Worlds.
I like Ilia. He’s incredible. Just amazing jump technique and determination. So, my comment was not meant to be an insult at all! I just think the judges ( for the most part) scored PCS correctly here and at this point Ilya isn’t in the same league as Shoma. And, his SS are worse than the Japanese men. OTOH none of them can jump quite as well as he does. ( Kao and Shun have similar potential I think but haven’t realized it yet). All should be rewarded for the specific gifts and right now his are technical and incredible!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I actually think Ilia has decent skating skills. It is the Japanese men who are the outliers, because their skating skillls are extraordinary. When I see them skate, I wish skaters the world over were taught this way!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I like Ilia. He’s incredible. Just amazing jump technique and determination. So, my comment was not meant to be an insult at all! I just think the judges ( for the most part) scored PCS correctly here and at this point Ilya isn’t in the same league as Shoma. And, his SS are worse than the Japanese men. OTOH none of them can jump quite as well as he does. ( Kao and Shun have similar potential I think but haven’t realized it yet). All should be rewarded for the specific gifts and right now his are technical and incredible!
I agree. Also, I think it's important that Judges are letting Ilia know what he "Could" be if he can develop his skills as a performer. That's a skill that made Nathan so great, even when he was young. This event should be a real motivator for Ilia. He's on the right track and he needs to keep doing what he's doing.

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight

PCS scoring seems about right when it comes to SS, though Malinin is surely better than Grassl. Malinin performs better than Sota though.

And if we want to talk about fairness: giving Shoma almost the same tech as Malinin (who has clean technique except for some q issues here and there) is not right. Shoma's 4F had 3,0 revolutions (3/4 prerotation, 1/4 short on the landing) and Shoma can't even tack on a +3T because he is always landing in a circle. Shoma also has lots of two foot skating throughout the program.

Last edited:

Demandred

On the Ice
Shoma was magical. Just a gorgeous performance all around. His step sequence was miles better than everyone else's, just breathtaking. He deserved to lead in PCS by a lot.

I am happy that Sota finally had a great free and got a deserved silver.

Incredible jumping by Malinin (a shame I only saw his first jumps on replay because of the stream issue).